First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si 4DR sedan
Country flag
Hi
I'm planning on deleting the CDV and installing sirimoto ss clutch lines.
Is there anyone out there with a CDV delete (long term). I read that there might be issues on the transmission, clutch/flywheel etc.
I dont drive my si hard at all. just the occasional spirited road driving like going fast on on/off ramps with some okish heel toeing.

Thanks!
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
There are those that have done it that will argue that it makes shifting better which may well be, but you should know that its purpose is to protect from introducing shock to the drive train components. Engaging the drive train too quickly can damage the drive train, transmission, differentials etc. So if you do it, you are doing it with that inherent risk in mind.

Just know, it wasn't installed by Honda just so they can be a-holes and make driving or shifting more difficult

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
In my opinion dont open that can of worms until you need a clutch replacement and even then I would advise against it. It is no bueno when using the stock dual mass flywheel. Many are getting away with it but long term it hurts flywheel and main shaft carrier bearings in the trans.

The better question is why? I am assuming you dont have any issues and you are just trying to "improve" something?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In my opinion dont open that can of worms until you need a clutch replacement and even then I would advise against it. It is no bueno when using the stock dual mass flywheel. Many are getting away with it but long term it hurts flywheel and main shaft carrier bearings in the trans.

The better question is why? I am assuming you dont have any issues and you are just trying to "improve" something?
^ What @PowerPerLiter said ^

OP
OP

kwakkwak17

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Yes I plan on turning this car into a track car once I graduate school. Planning on doing Exedy clutch and flywheel, lightweight rims tires, and suspension. But for now it is mainly to improve shifting feel. I have the hondata tune on it now and it has improved the rev hand but I heard that shifting feeling is improved more by removing the CDV.
So you think I should just do the SS clutch lines for now?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes I plan on turning this car into a track car once I graduate school. Planning on doing Exedy clutch and flywheel, lightweight rims tires, and suspension. But for now it is mainly to improve shifting feel. I have the hondata tune on it now and it has improved the rev hand but I heard that shifting feeling is improved more by removing the CDV.
If you want to improve shifting, get the full Acuity short shifting kit. You would be spending roughly $450 or so, you will actually get good shifting without possibly damaging your drive train

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I had entertained the ss clutch line but went away from that. If you were to end up having trans issues that you may want covered under warranty that would be the first and obvious thing that they would deny it for. "improper install.....not bled correctly causing clutch/trans damage....warranty denied"

Honestly I would focus efforts elsewhere entirely. But that is just my opinion. Especially if your in school.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would actually wait a few years when the car is out of warranty to turn it into a track car, for the reasons stated in the above post

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have had the CDV removed for a year now. I'll give you my details....

Clutch: Spec Inc. Stage 3
Flywheel: Single-Mass Steel
CMC: Willwood Upgraded CMC
Clutch Line: PRL Stainless-Steel

Now, first things first...the vehicle this was done to is my daily driver. I do a round trip of about 64 miles to and from work, with moderate traffic. Now, not discussing clutch engagement, pressure, etc. and only discussing the CDV, I can without a doubt say the shifting is better when under load. Prior to removing the CDV, there were times were I shifted too fast and the CDV caused me to grind a gear. Since removing the CDV, I have not had that issue at all.

However, shifts if not synced properly do shock the transmission and vehicle. I can totally see how this would effect things negatively in the long run. The most noticeable of this "shock" can be felt when no-lift-shifting under full load. I do not recommend it unless you're taking someone to GappleBees™. Driving normally, if you don't rev match properly by timing your clutch release after a shift, you may feel a shock. It is NOT for the average person. For most people, it will become a pain to drive. For me, I've gotten used to it.

EDIT: I just noticed that you plan on tracking the vehicle. If that's the case, remove it. It definitely helps on the track. As for the streets, it's not exactly "smooth".

Honda Civic 10th gen CDV (clutch delay valve delete) question muQ50f8h

OP
OP

kwakkwak17

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Now, first things first...the vehicle this was done to is my daily driver. I do a round trip of about 64 miles to and from work, with moderate traffic. Now, not discussing clutch engagement, pressure, etc. and only discussing the CDV, I can without a doubt say the shifting is better when under load. Prior to removing the CDV, there were times were I shifted too fast and the CDV caused me to grind a gear. Since removing the CDV, I have not had that issue at all.

However, shifts if not synced properly do shock the transmission and vehicle. I can totally see how this would effect things negatively in the long run. The most noticeable of this "shock" can be felt when no-lift-shifting under full load. I do not recommend it unless you're taking someone to GappleBees™. Driving normally, if you don't rev match properly by timing your clutch release after a shift, you may feel a shock. It is NOT for the average person. For most people, it will become a pain to drive. For me, I've gotten used to it.

EDIT: I just noticed that you plan on tracking the vehicle. If that's the case, remove it. It definitely helps on the track. As for the streets, it's not exactly "smooth".

muQ50f8h.jpg
Thank you for the input! its much appreciated. I think ill stay away from this until I replace the clutch and flywheel

what are your thoughts on the ss clutch line?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

muQ50f8h.jpg
You should share some video of your track time with us!

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag