Best Navigation for Civic 2016 EX

Allygator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I have read some threads about Navigation and not getting the answers I am searching for. I am wondering what is the best navigation to use. The last time I used the navigation I used my iPhone, but I don't want to use my phone for the navigation I want to the car's system. I have the Civic 2016 EX, I have tried to download the Nav Honda Link but it does not seem to work for me ( meaning I am not even able to download it properly) Can someone please give me some advise? I really appreciate it. :)
Sponsored

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
I have read some threads about Navigation and not getting the answers I am searching for. I am wondering what is the best navigation to use. The last time I used the navigation I used my iPhone, but I don't want to use my phone for the navigation I want to the car's system. I have the Civic 2016 EX, I have tried to download the Nav Honda Link but it does not seem to work for me ( meaning I am not even able to download it properly) Can someone please give me some advise? I really appreciate it. :)
Hey man. I have a 2016 EX as well, non nav. If you read the fine print on that Navigation App, it doesn’t work for 10th gens. No clue why.

I’ve been searching the site to see if it’s possible to add the factory Nav to my car. It looks like all the Civics with the EX level infotainment system have a GPS antenna as well. Looking at the infotainment unit as a part, the nav and the non nav unit are identically prices, with a tiny difference in part number. I believe people figured out that the cars with stock Nav just have something “turned on” and a license from Garmin to use their maps. There’s a “Honda hack” for the infotainment system, but I’m not sure if that includes hacking it to allow for factory nav “unlock”.

So for now, your best bet is using AA or CP to run Waze, Maps, or Google Maps. Google Maps has the ability to download whole sections of map so you can use it without cell service.

I want a nav option that doesn’t require me to plug my phone in and I’m still hunting for that. I’m starting to think putting a spare iPhone in the car that stays connected may be the only option. I’m also going to check out that hack in more detail. Once my CPO warranty expires I may try it.

lyndean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
If you want the navigation in the infotainment system, your only options are Apple Car Play or the Honda Hack. Otherwise, get a standalone GPS unit.

Sitio23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EX Civic
Country flag
Your best bet is a stand alone unit if you do not want to plug in the phone. Your second option is to trade in your car for one that has navigation.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Honda Garmin Navigation, that is available on some models, is RUBBISH.
Its old, outdated, featureless, maps needs to be updated, and is so behind the time compared to Google Maps or Waze.
IF you had it, you would probably choose not to use it. The only reason you want it now, is because other trims have it and you feel you are missing out.

The only advantage the Garmin system has is that it works without a Cell Phone connection.. so MAY be needed if you are in an area without great reception, or in the wilds of Canada,

Also, what is the issue you have with just plugging in your Smartphone, and using AA ?

It takes all of 5 seconds. and it keeps your phone charged up at the same time as providing you with many Internet & cellular services.

Yes, I was PISSED beyond belief, when I discovered that our SI did not have the Garmin Option (but it does up in Canada) ... but I have since come to realize that even if I had it, I would not use it.

If you really want GPS without your phone, (in Increasing cost)
(a) spend $25 on Honda Hack, and load a GPS program into the Head Unit that has Offline Maps.
(b) Install a small Tablet, and run a GPS program on that, + many other usefull apps.
(c) many other options -- replacement Honda HU with a Garmin enabled one-- a non Honda head Unit .. etc etc.

All increasing complex and increasingly expensive.

Suddenly, spending 5 seconds, to plug the USB cable into your Smartphone starts to look like a very attractive option !!!

Have a dedicated CAR usb cable, pre-plugged into your cars USB port -- yes, it is a pain to have to plug into the car's difficult to get to port every time...

And even if the Honda had WIRELESS AA, you would still probably want to plug your phone in, to keep it charged, so not having wireless AA is also not a big deal.

Last edited:

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Honestly, for the price, using your phone will be the cheaper option. I personally love the Waze app, Google Maps is good too. The factory installed navigation just doesn't do it for me :) If you do not want to use your phone - I understand this scenario as not everyone has unlimited data/coverage, I would pick up a standalone GPS.

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Honda Garmin Navigation, that is available on some models, is RUBBISH.
Its old, outdated, featureless, maps needs to be updated, and is so behind the time compared to Google Maps or Waze.
IF you had it, you would probably choose not to use it.
I don't agree with that. Garmin navigation works fine. I have used both Google maps and Garmin navigation and I don't see any major differences in functionality, they both work well.

nick94

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
By the way, google maps can download the map on the phone using wifi while you are at home and in that case you don't need phone reception or to use the phone data network.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
By the way, google maps can download the map on the phone using wifi while you are at home and in that case you don't need phone reception or to use the phone data network.
That's true, and a good point. I dont think you get live traffic conditions without a cell link though ?

I don't much care for the Garmin, because you do not get such detail on the maps ( vs say Google maps), and the whole product is now really outdated, and has not kept up with the newer Nav Apps... probably because Garmin got out of the Android Navigation Market, almost as soon as they got into it, but not before teaming up with Honda, to be the the Honda Nav provider.

The Garmin Voice Recognition is very poor, although if you have Garmin Nav, you do get to voice control some of the other functions of the Car .. ie the A/C. That's a possible PLUS.

However, I don't believe the actual Voice Control of the Garmin Nav itself, is anywhere as functional, as say Google Map.

ie When you are craving that Coffee Fix, with Google map you can say:-
"Navigate to the nearest Startbucks" - and it does ...

I am pretty sure you cannot do that with the Garmin using voice .. it requires quite a few Touch screen operations, which are probably disabled if you are moving !!!

But if you have Garmin, and you like it .. GO FOR IT ... its a free world (well, at least in some places !! )

IF you don't already have Garmin as Standard on your trim, then its very questionable if the ridiculously costly update price is worth it.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Using a smartphone is not an attractive option if you do not have unlimited data usage. I have 2 cell phones but don't have a need a to be connected 24/7 therefore I have an inexpensive limited cell plan.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Using a smartphone is not an attractive option if you do not have unlimited data usage. I have 2 cell phones but don't have a need a to be connected 24/7 therefore I have an inexpensive limited cell plan.
Well, that is not 100% the case :-

You can still use your cell phone , but turn Data off, after you have downloaded the maps for your area when you are on a WiFi connection (maybe from Home)

That way, no Data charges, but you can still use apps on your Smartphone (like Google maps), with Android Auto.

It's an OPTION that you might not have considered ??

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Well, that is not 100% the case :-

You can still use your cell phone , but turn Data off, after you have downloaded the maps for your area when you are on a WiFi connection (maybe from Home)

That way, no Data charges, but you can still use apps on your Smartphone (like Google maps), with Android Auto.

It's an OPTION that you might not have considered ??
Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

I have a Garmin & a TomTom GPS that I've been using in my previous cars. At the moment I find it easy to just use one of them.

I did try using my Android tablet with my previous car & downloaded the Google map at home. It did work in the car, until I drove off the end of the map. I'm presuming a smartphone would work the same. Guess I could always download a new map via a cell connection while on the road, but not sure if that's a better solution than using a GPS unit. I will check it out though & try it.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

I have a Garmin & a TomTom GPS that I've been using in my previous cars. At the moment I find it easy to just use one of them.

I did try using my Android tablet with my previous car & downloaded the Google map at home. It did work in the car, until I drove off the end of the map. I'm presuming a smartphone would work the same. Guess I could always download a new map via a cell connection while on the road, but not sure if that's a better solution than using a GPS unit. I will check it out though & try it.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.
LOL.. maybe you just need to download more maps !!!

The thing that really make me favor the Google Map over the Honda Garmin, or most other Stand alone GPS units, is being able to talk to and control the GPS by voice when driving. ( I used a stand alone GPS in my older car, until I updated the FM/AM radio to a modern Android head unit).

To me , this is one of the most useful features of a modern car, to be able to TALK to it, rather than having to press buttons and be distracted looking at screens and controls when driving.

With Google Maps, and Google Assistant you can navigate yourself to anywhere, as well as get the answer to almost any question you can imagine, and play any music you like, all by just talking to the head Unit... Really cool stuff !! :thumbsup:

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
LOL.. maybe you just need to download more maps !!!

The thing that really make me favor the Google Map over the Honda Garmin, or most other Stand alone GPS units, is being able to talk to and control the GPS by voice when driving. ( I used a stand alone GPS in my older car, until I updated the FM/AM radio to a modern Android head unit).

To me , this is one of the most useful features of a modern car, to be able to TALK to it, rather than having to press buttons and be distracted looking at screens and controls when driving.

With Google Maps, and Google Assistant you can navigate yourself to anywhere, as well as get the answer to almost any question you can imagine, and play any music you like, all by just talking to the head Unit... Really cool stuff !! :thumbsup:
*off topic*
Sh$# man you profile pic never fails to crack me up. Your name reminds me of mr bean driving behind the wheel, which I envision you doing lol
Sponsored