2.0L K20 Turbo kit?

Neutralomen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camry LE
First of all, hello, everyone!

Second, I had a bit of query.

I'm heavily considering the 2016 civic. I'm so happy to see what they've done with it. My options aside from that have been the V6 camry, or the V6 Accord. I've been piddling around with a little four banger from 2004, and I really want an efficient commuter car with at least 200 hp. The V6 camry/accords are too stuffy, too "focus-grouped" in their styling. This 2016 coupe is actually not afraid to look like a Japanese, sporty coupe. I feel like the 80s all over again.

My concern is, the 1.5 turbo is still just 174, which is around the current 4 cyllinder Camry numbers, and it's only negligibly lighter than the camry(the coupe might shave off another few pounds), and I still find that pretty sluggish. I know the torque is significant, but I'd really like some headroom and low-midrange beef so I can finally climb frikkin hills without weezing!

I also don't drive manual, and the current si only comes in manual. It stands to reason the forthcoming si will also be manual only.

This leaves me with the option of an aftermarket turbo kit for the 2.0. Is that a good option? Will that be as "solid" and reliable as a factory turbo? Is a better option to "superturbo" the 1.5 with a supercharger? Or replace it with a larger turbo?

tl;dr, I'd really like a 200+HP automatic civic coupe that functions as a daily driver that's a little naughty. What's the best course of action?

Is anyone else thinking of a turbo kit for the 2.0?
Sponsored

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
One rule I follow is don't go past basic bolt-ons with your daily driver. Going aftermarket turbo isn't as simple as just slapping a turbo kit on. You also need tuning, upgraded fueling, certain sensors have to be upgraded. This is all assuming the pistons/rods can handle the extra power as well. You could end up blowing the motor up. Also, more than likely the cvt can't handle that additional power.

You will most certainly lose reliability, and your warranty as well. If you can't at least accept the cars performance as stock, I would look elsewhere.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
One rule I follow is don't go past basic bolt-ons with your daily driver. Going aftermarket turbo isn't as simple as just slapping a turbo kit on. You also need tuning, upgraded fueling, certain sensors have to be upgraded. This is all assuming the pistons/rods can handle the extra power as well. You could end up blowing the motor up. Also, more than likely the cvt can't handle that additional power.

You will most certainly lose reliability, and your warranty as well. If you can't at least accept the cars performance as stock, I would look elsewhere.
I would have to agree with this for the most part. One thing is it might be a little time before you even see any aftermarket FI options for the new Civic.

Also how long do you plan to keep it for? Buying/leasing? All factors that should go into whether to go the aftermarket forced induction route.

Honestly if it were me I would just learn to drive manual and spring for the Si unless 1) you can't afford it or 2) outside factors like extreme traffic etc.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Hey welcome to the site! G26okie has got it right. Turbo kits aren't slap-on like bolt-ons and thats assuming someone e will come out with a kit for this 2.0 + CVT. The Si is supposed to be out in just a few months - in March supposedly. That should give you the 200+ hp you're looking for, along with LSD, suspension upgrades etc. for probably less additional $ than a turbo kit, tune, and install would cost.

OP
OP

Neutralomen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camry LE
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I don't know much about this stuff, so this is all really helpful. I don't really think I'd enjoy a manual, esp. for a daily driver. So, unless the Si comes with a CVT, which it almost certainly won't, I guess I'm stuck with the 1.5. Oh well, better than a poke in the eye! ;).

I am super pumped for the coupe. I at least hope they include at least one more fun color. My fingers are crossed for a light blue like Volvo's "rebel blue" or subaru's "hyper blue."

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I don't know much about this stuff, so this is all really helpful. I don't really think I'd enjoy a manual, esp. for a daily driver. So, unless the Si comes with a CVT, which it almost certainly won't, I guess I'm stuck with the 1.5. Oh well, better than a poke in the eye! ;).

I am super pumped for the coupe. I at least hope they include at least one more fun color. My fingers are crossed for a light blue like Volvo's "rebel blue" or subaru's "hyper blue."
Don't assume the Si will only come in manual like the current one. More than a few of us here think (or hope) itll come with an auto option - CVT or maybe even DCT!

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
So the 2.0 NA is a variant of the Type R motor, and it is in fact a K20 family motor. Therefore, I predict that the base 2.0 motor will absolutely be a good motor to put an aftermarket turbo kit onto, IF anyone makes that available. I haven't paid much attention to the current K24 Si motor, but I think that K24 may still have an exhaust manifold like traditional Honda's have had, so the turbo kit for the Si is fairly typical. HOWEVER, the new K20 in the base Civic most likely will have the exhaust manifold in the cylinder head, like the newer Honda J series motors. That actually makes a turbo kit even easier to build, however you still need to rely on the aftermarket to provide that solution for you. I highly doubt you will want to tackle being the first to Turbo the K20 and TUNE it.

The K series motors are great motors, and I was surprised to hear that Honda used it for the base motor. Much better than boring out the R18, right?? So maybe we will see turbo kits at some point for the base 2.0.

One catch though.....I would NEVER boost the 2.0 with the CVT. You'd be better served by a 6MT LX as a basis. I HIGHLY doubt any tuner will provide a kit for the CVT 2.0, you'll be lucky if a kit for the 6MT 2.0 becomes available. If you must have an auto Honda, I know you said you didn't want an Accord, but the V6 Accord is about as fast as any FWD car is ever gonna be. It is seriously a beast. Maybe you should check the Accord forums and see how people personalize the Accord with wheels, lowering, body parts, etc. You may see that the Accord can easily escape it's "focus group" flavor with some tasteful mods.

BTW, I hear what you are saying about the 1.5T's power. I know everyone is so excited by it, and it is great for the Civic...a quantum leap really....but just about every new full size truck and SUV will stomp it fairly easily...not to mention 2GR powered Camry's and the newer V6 Accords!!

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So buy the Accord, Acura ILX or a WRX is essentially the drift of it... You want over 200 horsepower and automatic. This regular Civic won't respond to significant modifications very well due to the limitations of the tranny. In fact, most regular Civics dont... (No one gave a damn about the R18)

OP
OP

Neutralomen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camry LE
So buy the Accord, Acura ILX or a WRX
Yeah the problem there is the Accord is too middle aged looking, even the coupe, the ILX is too formal and has really bad color options, and the WRX is the official BRO car, the cultural baggage of which prevents me from enjoying it. I'd sooner get the BRZ, but then we're in costs that aren't too appealing to me. I may look that way though.

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Yeah the problem there is the Accord is too middle aged looking, even the coupe, the ILX is too formal and has really bad color options, and the WRX is the official BRO car, the cultural baggage of which prevents me from enjoying it. I'd sooner get the BRZ, but then we're in costs that aren't too appealing to me. I may look that way though.
Bro car cultural baggage hah I like that!

Sounds like an Si coupe is for you then.

OP
OP

Neutralomen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camry LE
You may see that the Accord can easily escape it's "focus group" flavor with some tasteful mods.
really the words thing about the 2016 accord coupe is the rear lamps/trunk area. I love what they did with the front.

Also I've really never liked the side rear window "wedge" shape. It's always looked awkward and cheap to me, and breaks the flow. I wish it had more of an upside down teardrop design like the new AMG GT.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
really the words thing about the 2016 accord coupe is the rear lamps/trunk area. I love what they did with the front.

Also I've really never liked the side rear window "wedge" shape. It's always looked awkward and cheap to me, and breaks the flow. I wish it had more of an upside down teardrop design like the new AMG GT.
You catch the CivicX vs Accord comparo this site put posted @ http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-honda-civic-vs-accord-comparison.547/

Accord looks just boring compared, except for the front end where the two cars are like twins.

This is the worst angle for the Accord. It looks like a middle aged man with a beer gut compared to the fashionable athletic 20 something year old.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2.0L K20 Turbo kit? {filename}