Winding noise coming from the engine bay

tmach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L (and 1988 Fiero GT for the heck of it)
Hey there, I don't know a ton about the new Civic since I'm a "soon to be" owner (in the research and drool stage right now) but that whining noise sounds very much like a noise my girlfriend's Fit makes on occasion. Hers gets a lot louder, though. When we were trying to troubleshoot it we found people with almost every type of Honda saying they sometimes hear the same thing. She took hers to the dealer, who couldn't find anything wrong. Maybe it's just a Honda thing?
Sponsored

D_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Not sure if this helps. I got a 2016 EX-T on Christmas Eve and first heard a similar noise Christmas morning when I started the car up and then every time I used the brakes (albeit the noise I'm hearing isn't as loud as the one in the video). The noise has been pretty consistent since. I had to take the car in to the dealership to get something installed and I asked them to take a look at it. They took the wheels off, looked, and said they think that the problem is that break pads are new and needed to be broken in. He said I could hear the noise for up to 1k miles.

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
similar noise on the 2.0l but not as loud. It's louder from the outside of the car. I notice the sound when I let the wifey use the car. I hear it when the climate control is On and I reverse out my garage and a second time when I drive away from my house. If I turn off the Fan for the climate control there's no whining noise.

Rasfactor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I hear this exact same noise, never put much thought into it, but interested when I saw this thread. Mine Touring sounds just like yours, almost like a soft jet engine spooling up when I come to a complete stop at a red light. Although I don't know why it starts up every single time, doesn't seem to be connected to the climate control in anyway when I test it out. I am interested to see what the dealer says, when you bring it in. I will be bringing mine in, in the near future for a few other things, such as the infotainment update, I might want to add this to the list...

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Does this engine have a secondary air pump? just a wild guess that it could be something like that - an emissions related system that kicks in at idle.

could it be the sound of the turbo winding down?

Rasfactor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
@themzlab - I don't know enough about this engine or any engine to really to be sure but your theory makes sense to me! The noise sounds very natural and not like its being overworked or forced. And it definitely sounds like a winding "up" sound and not down. That video that @pinoyBalot posted caught the noise perfectly, although I've never heard it on start up like that, just when stopping at stop signs or red lights while driving.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Can't remember hearing this myself but I'll take a listen for it the next time I start my car up. Off the top of my head, things you'll find making a "swooshing" or winding noise (aside from the engine):

- High pressure fuel pump (HPFP) - can be noisy on these DI engines and needs to be primed before start
- Radiator fan
- Turbo spool up / down (sounds very much like a "jet engine" at times)
- A/C compressor - keep in mind this could be running even if it's cold outside
- HVAC fan
- Head unit fan - not sure how many or where these are, but typically the head unit has a fan help cool it down
- Cold air intake - can be a swooshing sound under heavy acceleration, not so much at idle

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Hi.
I think its pretty basic and its 32 F i.e. 0 degree Celsius outside as per your car temperature reading, this is when after few seconds the AC kicks in and try to throw some hot air in. I would say turn on the car and go to climate control right away and turn off the AC and then see or even turn off the AC a night before and see when you turn on the car next morning, just make sure to check in the climate that the AC is showing off next morning. Good luck.

Mohmoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Hi.
I think its pretty basic and its 32 F i.e. 0 degree Celsius outside as per your car temperature reading, this is when after few seconds the AC kicks in and try to throw some hot air in. I would say turn on the car and go to climate control right away and turn off the AC and then see or even turn off the AC a night before and see when you turn on the car next morning, just make sure to check in the climate that the AC is showing off next morning. Good luck.
I hear the same noise when stopping. Turned a/c off in climate control. Noise went away. Feels like the compressor is working which kicks on the engine fan although its below freezing where I am. Also noticed same when starting the car after parking overnight.

All in all awesome car

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
Reminds me of a bad AC Compressor noise...kind of like a really crappy supercharger whine.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I took this video so that everyone can hear what I am talking about. Noise is at 8sec. Planning to drop by at the dealership this weekend.

Did this ever get resolved? Mine has started making the exact same noise, usually when I am coming to a stop. What did the dealer say it was?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
It's either your vent fan (I can' tell in the video if your climate system is on) OR it's the fan on the back of the crapfotainment unit.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It's either your vent fan (I can' tell in the video if your climate system is on) OR it's the fan on the back of the crapfotainment unit.
It is coming from under the hood, not in the cabin. So I assume it is neither? Maybe the AC compressor (but I thought it was always on because of the new type of compressor included in this year's Civic)?

Mohmoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
It is coming from under the hood, not in the cabin. So I assume it is neither? Maybe the AC compressor (but I thought it was always on because of the new type of compressor included in this year's Civic)?
If I take the climate control off auto and click ac off the noise goes away even when I stop. To my limited knowledge, sounds like a compressor sound.
Sponsored