When did you guys first detailed your cars?

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I washed, clayed, micropolished, sealed it as soon as I got it home (just before Thanksgiving) and before we started driving it. Straight from the factory the paint isn't perfect and can pick up contaminates in transit and sitting on the dealer lot. I managed to wash it a couple times during the winter, and have been washing about once a week since using two bucket method.
Sponsored

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
I've had mine for 3 weeks. I just ran it through a touch less wash and then pulled into my garage and put 2 coats of carnauba wax and black protection on all the plastic. It's ready for the brutal Florida summer.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had mine for 3 weeks. I just ran it through a touch less wash and then pulled into my garage and put 2 coats of carnauba wax and black protection on all the plastic. It's ready for the brutal Florida summer.
What protector did you use on the trim?

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Soon as I got mine home I washed and waxed it.. lol I didn't wait

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
Planning on washing, clay bar, polish and waxing this weekend. Temps have been brutal here in NJ of late so i am holding off. It's long overdue i got the car in late Jan and still haven't waxed once. water still beads though :)

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I do a wash every 2-3 weeks depending on how dirty it gets. I do a mix of regular wash, rinse less or waterless/qd wash. Typically do a regular wash when I have to clean the wheels to keep brake dust from building up.

Use a spray wax typically after every other wash. Do a sealant/wax application once every 6 months.

Interiors..maybe once every 6 to 8 weeks. Protect leather and plastics ( probably will cut down the frequency with longer lasting products)

Also gonna try a sealant/protection that will last over a year. So that way I just do a wash and some quick spritz to keep going.

Basically do the needed to keep the car reasonably clean and protected (mainly this..the UV damage in AZ in summer can be quite brutal)

Oh..and I also use a tire protectant which acts as a dressing (again, this is for heat protection in AZ. Dry rot and short life of tires is pretty common here thanks to the extreme heat and you are most likely to change tires because of dry rot than the tires wearing out because of mileage)

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
Planning on washing, clay bar, polish and waxing this weekend. Temps have been brutal here in NJ of late so i am holding off.]/b] It's long overdue i got the car in late Jan and still haven't waxed once. water still beads though :)

I bet you don't see 30+ days of 110 deg weather in NJ :) Try doing anything outside at 110+ and even if it below 110, it will only be a couple of degrees lower.

One of the reasons I always look for products that last instead of el cheapo products you have to apply every other week.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX

I bet you don't see 30+ days of 110 deg weather in NJ :) Try doing anything outside at 110+ and even if it below 110, it will only be a couple of degrees lower.

One of the reasons I always look for products that last instead of el cheapo products you have to apply every other week.
If it's 110 degrees of dry heat i will take it. 96 degrees with 60% humidity is like living in soup.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
Picked it up on a Wednesday and hand washed, polished, waxed the next day.

Dealers used to wax new cars for delivery but the past 4 new vehicles I purchased were lucky to just get spray/quick shine from the dealers.

BigDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe, '01 Silverado
Country flag
Got my '18 Si last November and just washed and waxed it this last weekend. :oops: Was disappointed to see hail dents in the hood... Must have happened a couple of months ago when my wife had it for a week. Will have to figure out how to get them out on my own.

HatchHTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got mine a week ago and today I washed and waxed it!

SivicX

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
I washed, clayed, and sealed my car about an hour after I took delivery. Cars take on an amazing amount of crap when they are on the truck over the road.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Picked it up on a Wednesday and hand washed, polished, waxed the next day.

Dealers used to wax new cars for delivery but the past 4 new vehicles I purchased were lucky to just get spray/quick shine from the dealers.
Unless you are the type that just want to sit back in a Lazy state, and want everyone else to do everything for you -- which I suspect most in here are NOT :-

You are far better off having the dealer do as little to the car in terms of washing (scratching), and waxing (sealing in dirt on the paint) as possible.
I am sure that most in here would take more care, and do a far better job doing this than any "Honda Dealer" -- being your car, you are far more likely to take the extra care and do a far better job.
Sponsored