What tire should I buy

palidino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 CRV, 2014 335i, 2017 Civic
Country flag
Going to buy the VMR v710 wheels in 18 inch. Need suggestions for tires
My civic engine will be stock. No engine tuning. Would it be over kill going with max performance summer tires? Or just go with a high quality AS tire?
235/40/18
My daily driver so not really any spirited driving such as on the track
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
If you're gonna buy a separate set of dedicated winter tires, get UHP summer tires.

If not, get good All Weathers. If you drive summer tires in the cold you're going to find yourself having an unpleasant day very quickly.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your staying stock and aren't going to the track I say just get some high performance all seasons. Cheaper usually, have a better tread life and are usually better in the rain.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's a good discussion on this in the DIY forum. I came away with the impression that the Michelin Pilot Sports were a good AS compromise tire.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I'm planning on replacing the shitty firestones with either michelin pilot sports or goodyear eagle sports. when you get your new tires, remember to pay attention to the speed rating. you want at least H and maybe V. The tire stores will often replace your old tires with tires that have a lower speed rating because they make more profit that way. I had a car that called for V rated tires and went to discount tire before I was aware of this and they replaced them with S rated tires, which are crap.

OP
OP

palidino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So it seems I should just go with UHP all seasons. Any suggestion of what tire brand and model I should buy then? I do have a dedicated winter tire

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Going to buy the VMR v710 wheels in 18 inch. Need suggestions for tires
My civic engine will be stock. No engine tuning. Would it be over kill going with max performance summer tires? Or just go with a high quality AS tire?
235/40/18
My daily driver so not really any spirited driving such as on the track
Heres the thing about all season tires...

Ready?

They suck in all 4 seasons.. The us is one of the only nations that do it this way.. In most other countries you get summer tires and you buy winter tires.. If you have mild winters and not much in bad weather but good summer tires.. Good.. Not excellent not best.. U dont need micheling sport 4s' on there or brodgestone pole position p1's.. Get a good summer tire..

Then if you have or get a bad winters get winter tires.. If you dont.. Use ur stock all seasons in the winter.. I will be putting summers on in the spring.. And then next year if/when a bad storm comes and how much im driving it.. Decide on winter tires..

Reason.. Last 5 years previous to this one.. I had a company vehicle i had to drive daily no matter what... This year.. I got laid off.. So not driving much if at all currently.. 0-10 miles daily.. 50-100 once or twice a week when needed..

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Heres the thing about all season tires...

Ready?

They suck in all 4 seasons.. The us is one of the only nations that do it this way.. In most other countries you get summer tires and you buy winter tires.. If you have mild winters and not much in bad weather but good summer tires.. Good.. Not excellent not best.. U dont need micheling sport 4s' on there or brodgestone pole position p1's.. Get a good summer tire..

Then if you have or get a bad winters get winter tires.. If you dont.. Use ur stock all seasons in the winter.. I will be putting summers on in the spring.. And then next year if/when a bad storm comes and how much im driving it.. Decide on winter tires..

Reason.. Last 5 years previous to this one.. I had a company vehicle i had to drive daily no matter what... This year.. I got laid off.. So not driving much if at all currently.. 0-10 miles daily.. 50-100 once or twice a week when needed..
Oh and good summer tires will usually net better everything.. Including gas mileage than most of the best all seasons

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So it seems I should just go with UHP all seasons. Any suggestion of what tire brand and model I should buy then? I do have a dedicated winter tire
Wait i didnt see this.. U have winter tires already for the car... Hmm ya.. Dont throw ur money away on a all season tires.. Its what you will be doing..

OP
OP

palidino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wait i didnt see this.. U have winter tires already for the car... Hmm ya.. Dont throw ur money away on a all season tires.. Its what you will be doing..
Ok, so which brand and model tire will u buy? Is the ventus v12 evo2 from hankook ok?

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, so which brand and model tire will u buy? Is the ventus v12 evo2 from hankook ok?
That or yokohama s.drive are both good tires. id see if anyone has rebates or discounts locally and online.. Can differ sometimes.. And sometimes locally they will pricematch and try to give tou a lil more for the business.. Although rare

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That or yokohama s.drive are both good tires. id see if anyone has rebates or discounts locally and online.. Can differ sometimes.. And sometimes locally they will pricematch and try to give tou a lil more for the business.. Although rare
Im a few months from needing them.. Michellin might have a new product soon.. And they are killing it in the super high end...
Brand. Of choice for me are michellin, yokohama, pirelli, kumho.. And nokian.. But those tend to not exist much in the us.. Use them in spain tho.. Nor particular order btw.. Usually based on offers/rebates

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
It all depends on what you want out of the tire. The ventus v12 are MP tires. They won't last all that long...

For all season/summer tires: I don't live in snow, but to what I understand, all seasons have the benefit of being usable when it's cold but not snowing. Summer tires get rock hard when it gets cold.

For choosing a class of summer tire: you have to decide what you prioritize: traction, noise, comfort, treadlife and price. I feel the MPSS is way overrated, they are a good blend of everything, but they are ridiculously expensive. Makes sense maybe for a luxury car daily driver, but kind of super expensive for a civic. the ventus v12 are decent MP tires, on the cheap side and lower traction end I believe of MP tires, but they don't have a lot of treadlife. If you are looking for MP tires, consider the sumitomo HTR ZIII. Great bargain. a little on the loud side.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed @Draken187 all seasons are garbage all year round.. why not have 2 good sets of tires that will last twice as long as a crappy set of all seasons? It. Just. Makes. Sense.
Sponsored