Weird issue - NSX wheel owners chime in!

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Another variable could be the material the hub rings are made out of. I have seen both plastic and metal.
I tried both lol. I have aluminum and plastic
Sponsored

wayoutwest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R-19644
Country flag
I may try plastic ones at my next service internal (which isn't until the end of the year) just as a fun test. But as long as it is quiet and i don't experience any vibrations or other issues, I'm not touching it for now... It's been a year of being annoyed by this stupid issue and now I just want to drive it without being embarrassed in a parking lot! :D

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I may try plastic ones at my next service internal (which isn't until the end of the year) just as a fun test. But as long as it is quiet and i don't experience any vibrations or other issues, I'm not touching it for now... It's been a year of being annoyed by this stupid issue and now I just want to drive it without being embarrassed in a parking lot! :D
I'm going to try once more without any hub centric rings when I rotate tires this weekend will report back.

wayoutwest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R-19644
Country flag
I don't have NSX wheels anymore, but just wanted to update this post with information that looks to be related in a PM that i got from @Ortivt6 :

I saw your post about clicking noise after getting the NSX wheels. I work for BMW as a tech and seen this issue with clicking. Vehicles with Brembo brakes suffer from this ticking/clicking noise while driving at slow speeds. Especially turning without brakes applied. BMW solution is a friction ring disc between the wheel bearing flange and brake disc rotor. Since BMW has the same bolt pattern as the type R, you should try installing them and see if it resolves your issue. They are only $48. Google SIB 34-05-17 and you will see the billeting with full description. Hope this helps.

Links:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10146758-9999.pdf

https://bmwrepairguide.com/sib/340517.pdf
Sponsored