First Name
Hogan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
What’s up everybody!!
I’m looking for some advice regarding a CVT transfer case leak.

A month or so ago I brought my car into the dealership for a transfer case leak. They put UV due in the fluid and told me to come back within 10k miles.

I recently found oil on my transfer case/transmission housing again and brought it in. The guy said it isn’t transmission oil but rather engine oil??? There’s no visible trail of engine oil ANYWHERE and the tech told me he “looked” with a UV light to see if it was transmission oil. Picture is attached for reference.

Anyone have experience with these cars that can give some advice as to where the hell engine oil could come from if it’s located DIRECTLY on the transfer case? I don’t believe that they actually checked with the UV light and may be pushing off replacing my CVT/cracking it open to find the leak. Waiting on the manager at the moment to take a look but will ask to see the UV light/dye.

Honda Civic 10th gen Transfer Case Leak - Warranty Work 26C2BBE9-6184-4288-8447-7186943537CC
Sponsored

OP
OP

heyitshogan

First Name
Hogan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Update: They said they have to do a complete tear down and need to pre-authorize $900…. They said it could be the rear-main seal, some other seal or gasket, or the oil pan gasket. Said no UV dye in the oil that was seen leaking. They’re not willing to put dye in the motor oil to determine where the leak is coming from which is SUPER sketchy. That was the red flag for me to reject the service.

Told them to clean it up and I’ll take my car back. I want to look at it myself because if it is the oil pan gasket, I don’t want to be stuck with the $900 tear down fee and oil pan gasket change fee which is simple to do on my own.

Kind of ridiculous but not surprising that they’d rather charge me $900 for a tear down instead of some additional diagnostics like UV dye in the oil to see where the leak is coming from. Typical stealership…

Last edited:
OP
OP

heyitshogan

First Name
Hogan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've seen valve cover leaks that drip down slowly into that area.
I’ll definitely check out the firewall side of my engine and entirely around it. The first time I brought it in, they said it was transmission oil so they put dye in it. This time they said it’s not so I just don’t trust my dealership anymore lol, especially since they’re refusing to do anymore diagnostic work and going straight for tear down. I might just buy my own oil UV dye + light and find the location of the leak myself then bring it in to another dealership for service.

DrummerBoy523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Before I bought mine (it is used), I noticed this in the maintenance records for the car:

"REPLACE HALF SHAFT BEARING LEAKING OIL "
HALF SHAFT BEARING, R&R 1.5L T/C 4-DOOR 16/19 A/T REPLACED HALF SHAFT LABOR OP 2191F1 .8 DEFECT CODE 07701

Not sure if this is of any help or not.

VenomVtec

First Name
Ogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC turbo
Country flag
Helloo did you find and fix the problem ?
Sponsored