TopScan for Electronic Parking Brake maintenance mode resulting in error code.

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I did a search but didn't find anything. I found this TopScan OBD2 bluetooth tool that allows you to enter EPB maintenance mode.

https://www.amazon.com/TOPDON-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Performance-Bidirectional/dp/B0C3QQYQ1B?th=1

I used the TopScan tool to enter Electronic Parking Brake Maintance mode on my 2019 Civic Type R. When doing so, I heard the brake retract. I was able to remove the caliper and replace pads and rotors so it seemed to work. After completing the work, I used the TopScan tool to enter normal mode again and heard the motors once again. I completed all my work and started a test drive to try to brakes. The car gave me an error that there was a problem with the electronic parking brake system and when I drove the car told me that I needed to retract the parking brake even though the parking brake was not engaged. When pressing the parking brake button the parking brake would engage and the car would not move. Turn off parking brake, would hear retract, the brake not engaged and move but car would still ask to retract parking brake. The system thought the electronic parking brake was engaged even when it wasn't.

My local shop didn't want to deal with it since there was an error code so I took it to the dealer. They ran their diagnostics and could not tell where the problem was even though the both parking brake was working. Their error code said there was trouble communicating with both right and left parking brakes. They were guessing it was a wiring issue that occurred during repairs. I was skeptical since it would mean I damaged wires on both sides, no hard pulls on calipers during repair but you never know. The dealer did not have the wires in stock and would need to order but the car was fine to drive. The car continued to give me the errors as I continue to drive it, still telling me to retract the parking brake while the care was moving. However, later that day, the problem suddenly went away after several more start stops. It hasn't given me the error since. I think it is very unlikely that wires on both sides suddenly made proper connections. I think there was a computer glitch that occurred during the maintenance mode or return that reset after multiple start stops of the engine.

Anyone use this tool before? Any one have a similar problem? I have tried to contact the company but the tech support page is not currently working, will try later.

Thanks.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Have you tried a full car reset? Seems unlikely you damaged both those wires, and it 'sounds' like you did the brake job correctly. Can you clear the codes with the dongle / do they come back?

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
After you returned the parking brake to normal mode, did you engage and disengage the park brake before taking it out to test drive? It can pop the code if you don't do that after doing maintenance on the brakes. Had something similar happen to mine when I did it with a proper scan tool as well. I went back to maintenance mode, off it and put the park brake on and off and it was fine after.

OP
OP

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Have you tried a full car reset? Seems unlikely you damaged both those wires, and it 'sounds' like you did the brake job correctly. Can you clear the codes with the dongle / do they come back?
Code cleared it self so I didn't try it. But to clarify, what do you mean by a full car reset?

OP
OP

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
After you returned the parking brake to normal mode, did you engage and disengage the park brake before taking it out to test drive? It can pop the code if you don't do that after doing maintenance on the brakes. Had something similar happen to mine when I did it with a proper scan tool as well. I went back to maintenance mode, off it and put the park brake on and off and it was fine after.
I did, sort of. When I went back into normal mode, I put the parking brake on because i was going to bleed the front brakes (added safety on jack stands along with blocking wheels). As soon as I started the car after the front brakes bleed, the EPS code started so I then released the parking brake. It turned parking brake on and off several times to see if that would fix it, no luck.

The error code went away without using the parking brake. I wasn't using it when it did because I parked on a flat surface. It just cleared after several start stops of the car.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
weird, must be those cheaper scan tools or just a glitch in the matrix.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Code cleared it self so I didn't try it. But to clarify, what do you mean by a full car reset?
Just disconnecting the battery for a bit and connecting back. Glad it sorted out for you -
Sponsored