Take Action, Call Honda North America about CTR overheating!

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Short version: I called Honda North America (1-800-999-1009) and told them that I was concerned about the overheating reported in the CTR. They said that every technical concern is forwarded to their engineers and that the issues with the most complaints get priority. So give Honda a call and let them know you'd like to have a CTR that doesn't overheat! And has engine cooling that is on par with its brakes/suspension/power!

Long version: There have been several reports of overheating in the CTR ( http://www.civicx.com/threads/ctr-overheating.12739/ ) The Civic Type R is sold as a track car (Honda uses the nurburgring time in advertising and posted videos of setting FWD lap records on 5 tracks in Europe with the implication that you can do the same). Looking at other track cars, the Camaro can be bought with extra cooling from the factory and even the cheapest Porsche Cayman (60k) will not overheat in 115F weather all day at the track. I would prefer Honda to issue a recall, but I'd be happy if they engineered a fix for a reasonable price, as long as it works!

Video with overheating discussion (Water temps got up to 228 degrees and air intake temp got up to 127 or so, car went into limp mode):

Videos of CTR track time.

( )
Sponsored

Last edited:

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
Short version: I called Honda North America (1-800-999-1009) and told them that I was concerned about the overheating reported in the CTR. They said that every technical concern is forwarded to their engineers and that the issues with the most complaints get priority. So give Honda a call and let them know you'd like to have a CTR that doesn't overheat! And has engine cooling that is on par with its brakes/suspension/power!

Long version: There have been several reports of overheating in the CTR ( http://www.civicx.com/threads/ctr-overheating.12739/ ) The Civic Type R is sold as a track car (Honda uses the nurburgring time in advertising and posted videos of setting FWD lap records on 5 tracks in Europe with the implication that you can do the same). Looking at other track cars, the Camaro can be bought with extra cooling from the factory and even the cheapest Porsche Cayman (60k) will not overheat in 115F weather all day at the track. I would prefer Honda to issue a recall, but I'd be happy if they engineered a fix for a reasonable price, as long as it works!

Video with overheating discussion (Water temps got up to 228 degrees and air intake temp got up to 127 or so, car went into limp mode):

Videos of CTR track time.

( )
He must of had a bad tank of lawn mower gas

atombomb33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #341
pretty sure when people go to track they pump race gas or something higher than regular premium
Oh man - I hope people aren't running race fuel. I don't think any tuner has a tune for race fuel, yet. Running race fuel without a proper tune could cause some problems.

voiddweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR (Sold), '04 TSX MT, '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE MT
Country flag
pretty sure when people go to track they pump race gas or something higher than regular premium
I can confirm that it overheats on 93 pump gas.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
Why is the FK2 involved here? I didn't have overheating issues on the track with the FK2. Not yet at least.

OP
OP

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Why is the FK2 involved here? I didn't have overheating issues on the track with the FK2. Not yet at least.
I didn't see it as much of a leap that advertising for the FK2 indicates a continued commitment to motorsports with the FK8, which itself has advertising for a Nurburgring lap. That's the reason FK2 videos are shown.

Although, others have mentioned FK2 overheating on track in other threads if you search. Have you tracked the FK2 in 40 C weather?

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
Although, others have mentioned FK2 overheating on track in other threads if you search. Have you tracked the FK2 in 40 C weather?
Luckily it does not get that hot in here. I would not dare to track the car at 40 deg Celcius. I would not complain if it overheats at 40C.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I don’t see Honda doing anything as long as the car doesn’t overheat under normal driving conditions and is still within normal operating parameters.

This car is still a street car at the end of the day.

Ctr owners that track their car is probably less than 5%.

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Say it's not so! A stock 2.0 liter Japanese turbo charged car pumped up to 300 hp overheating at the track? Could have predicted that. Feel sorry for people who bought these to do track work thinking aftermarket radiator and oil cooling wasn't going to be in equation. They are going to be spending $$$$ to cool them down.

Time for big radiators, oil coolers, bigger intercoolers, big injectors and an e85 tune! Maybe more ventilation from aftermarket hood too.

Good luck with Honda . I don't think they will feel obligated to do much other than to recommend an HPD certified aftermarket radiator etc.

Last edited:

iforyou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX
Country flag
Say it's not so! A stock 2.0 liter Japanese turbo charged car pumped up to 300 hp overheating at the track? Could have predicted that. Feel sorry for people who bought these to do track work thinking aftermarket radiator and oil cooling wasn't going to be in equation. They are going to be spending $$$$ to cool them down.

Time for big radiators, oil coolers, bigger intercoolers, big injectors and an e85 tune! Maybe more ventilation from aftermarket hood too.

Good luck with Honda . I don't think they will feel obligated to do much other than to recommend an HPD certified aftermarket radiator etc.
There are also quite a lot of owners and journalists who've tracked the CTR and not have overheating issues. It's still uncertain whether this is a design issue, a bad installation, and/or a defective part. If you've watched Best Motoring before, it's not uncommon to see highly boosted cars winning the Tsukuba Enduro challenge too, like the 2.0T lancer evolution pushing close to 300hp.

With that said, for those that take their cars to the track on a regular basis, it's definitely a good idea to get some cooling mods!
Sponsored