Tail light/spoiler swirls on new civic?

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport touring manual
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Tail light/spoiler swirls on new civic? 23268C17-4BFF-4C5C-BB78-E5E235898030
Honda Civic 10th gen Tail light/spoiler swirls on new civic? 642BA2F9-5DE2-46BA-B272-759723DD72CB
hey everyone, went to pickup my 2018 civic hatch sport touring this weekend. Noticed the dealer did a poor detail job as the car had raildust/fallout imbedded in the paint and the tail lights and rear spoiler all had swirls and little scratches. I refused pickup until issues were addressed but one detail staff member seems to think you can’t get the marks out of the tail lights. I find this odd as I’ve polished headlights before and the vehicle being brand new, shouldn’t have any flaws before taking ownership. Anyone else experience issues like this or polish the tail lights?

Thanks

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
They can get them out if they take the tail light off and replace it with another one =P

Im interested to see how they try and fix it .. one of my tail lights got scratched up pretty bad by a body shop washing the car.. I just try not to look at it for now, and will polish the whole car and the plastics when the rest get bad too..

OP
OP
teg09

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They can get them out if they take the tail light off and replace it with another one =P

Im interested to see how they try and fix it .. one of my tail lights got scratched up pretty bad by a body shop washing the car.. I just try not to look at it for now, and will polish the whole car and the plastics when the rest get bad too..
If they don’t get it more acceptable I might fight for a new set of OEM lights because why spend that kind of money to get an already damaged product

CrazyALee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
My hatch spoiler lights came looking pretty good, but after a year of ownership, carefully washing every other week over the past year, I find it does scratch semi-easily. I use a microfiber wash mitt too.

OP
OP
teg09

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My hatch spoiler lights came looking pretty good, but after a year of ownership, carefully washing every other week over the past year, I find it does scratch semi-easily. I use a microfiber wash mitt too.
Well that’s disappointing. I wash regularity and take careful steps to in trying to prevent any unnecessary damage but guess it being a lot of clear plastic before the red lens. I’d hope this could be kept maintained by polishing or something vs having them look all marked up over the life of the vehicle. I’m just really ticked the dealer seems to think it’s ok to give the vehicle in “showroom state” like that after waiting over a month for it

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
Well that’s disappointing. I wash regularity and take careful steps to in trying to prevent any unnecessary damage but guess it being a lot of clear plastic before the red lens. I’d hope this could be kept maintained by polishing or something vs having them look all marked up over the life of the vehicle. I’m just really ticked the dealer seems to think it’s ok to give the vehicle in “showroom state” like that after waiting over a month for it
Yup definitely unacceptable for being “showroom state” I would get them to replace it. When I got my wife’s 17 civic sport touring the wash boys scratched and marred all the black trim pieces. The dealership replaced majority of the pieces that couldn’t be polished out. Definitely get on their case about it or take your business elsewhere.

556ALPHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
When I bought my car it had not been washed yet, told the sales guy Ill take it home dirty. Had to explain that it will save me a lot of time fixing dirty rag swirls induced by their detail guy. He was shocked.

Me Bender.

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
When I bought my car it had not been washed yet, told the sales guy Ill take it home dirty. Had to explain that it will save me a lot of time fixing dirty rag swirls induced by their detail guy. He was shocked.
I said the same thing when I picked up mine. My brother had gone to the dealer with me to pick up the car and while I was signing papers he kept asking my brother why I'd take a dirty car home saying nobody had ever done that. He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that their automated car wash could damage the paint and trim.

OP
OP
teg09

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I said the same thing when I picked up mine. My brother had gone to the dealer with me to pick up the car and while I was signing papers he kept asking my brother why I'd take a dirty car home saying nobody had ever done that. He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that their automated car wash could damage the paint and trim.
The sad part is theirs isn’t an automatic one. Regardless they did a poor job and looking back I should have done the same thing and detailed it myself. Even though it was -20 here when the car arrived and I don’t have a heated garage I probably still could have managed to do a better job. We will see what they’ve corrected tonight and if I have to order new OEM tail lights at cost

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Same here, my rear spoiler and door sills are swirled like crazy. Planning to get a DA soon to buffer it out. If not, wrap it in vinyl

OP
OP
teg09

teg09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Fun update. Got a call from the dealer today expecting to hear detailing was fixed and ready for pickup but....they managed to back it into a pillar

Now waiting for a brand new one to be shipped from elsewhere in province.

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
lol. So you're getting a whole other car now? I guess that works. Tell them not to touch it!

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
This used to drive me nuts but that plastic scratches easily. I have swirls all over my red taillights. same story on the plastic cover over the speedometer.

Sslick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe, 1994 F-150 pickup, 1963 VW Beetle
Country flag
This used to drive me nuts but that plastic scratches easily. I have swirls all over my red taillights. same story on the plastic cover over the speedometer.
I second that! I have never owned a vehicle that the plastic scratches so easily on. My Si is my first new car ever (and I'm 41) and I have done my best to pamper it, going as far as using new microfiber every time, for everything. It doesn't seem to matter as it still leaves swirl marks...on the taillights and infotainment center.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Try Scratch-X from Meguiar's.
Sponsored