J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
That's exactly what I thought. I went with 5 because that's what the ktuner ethenol adjustment table already had. I see, so it's always effectively trying to run 10° knock retard inner wot, but multiples the knock control value for a final knock retard
You got it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra
Just another e85 update... Been running it since my first post with it. Small tuning changes here and there as I've learned more about the car. It runs between a -7% and 7% short term fuel trim and a 0% long term fuel trim. The timing was adjusted slightly and fueling was increased from 30 to 33% to compensate for "summer e85." I have another member also on my tune as well .If anyone would like to see it or has questions, pm me.

Car runs very well btw.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not personal Alex, but...

Anyone considering using someone else's custom tune, especially one that is not designed to utilize the software functionality as Ktuner intended, should tread lightly. It is not "certain disaster", but there is a very high level of risk here that one should be aware of.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Anyone considering using someone else's custom tune, especially one that is not designed to utilize the software functionality as Ktuner intended, should tread lightly. It is not "certain disaster", but there is a very high level of risk here that one should be aware of.
Especially considering the altitude he is at in Colorado compared to where most members are on this forum.

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Especially considering the altitude he is at in Colorado compared to where most members are on this forum.
The other member is running the tune also in Colorado. We were both in the same boat where the ECU won't allow for more than 16-18psi. So we found power in other ways.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
For those that don't understand this, altitude changes air density, air density effects: power, fuel requirement, ignition timing, boost levels, etc. Basically everything.

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The tune runs ktuners software as intended. I am no longer using the "flex fuel option" and I am using the cylinder fuel trim adjustments. This was recommended by the gentleman that you had recommended to me.

And I would never take it personally. It's the decision of the owner of the vehicle to run the tune. I, personally have learned a lot about tuning vehicles in this experience and will continue to learn as time goes on.

The car loves e85 and the top end does not feel as restricted as before. Id never sell or push my tune to anyone but I'd be more than happy to help another fellow civicX member with my experience and give them a starting point.

If that all makes sense!

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those that don't understand this, altitude changes air density, air density effects: power, fuel requirement, ignition timing, boost levels, etc. Basically everything.
Thank you for the input and let me elaborate further...

Yes, the atmospheric air pressure here is ~12.5psi. We experience a much different engine characteristic than those at sea level or close to. Our vehicles run a hard limit on the turbochargers to only allow a certain rpm on the inducer/exducer to account for overspin. This limit (at 12.5psi atmospheric pressure) is about 16-18psi. The reason this works for my car and my circumstances is because since I cannot push the boost limits of the turbo, thus, I do not run the fueling system anywhere near it's limitations. So to compensate for power I have adjusted timing and added e85 to the mix. This allows for cooler combustion temperatures, higher knock protection, and in turn more power. We also don't get 93 here like some of you lucky fellows.

E85 requires 30% more fuel due to it's low energy density compared to it's gasoline counterparts. Since I am only running my as much air as a stock civic at sea level the fueling system is more than capable of handling the extra fuel requirements.

10civics

First Name
bo peep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag

if the critical variables in the log file check out as OK and are within spec what's the high level of risk? Am I missing something here or is this just not recommended because another person hasnt chosen to use the $500 "kit" againt manufacturers recommendation?

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got another update for everyone interested...

Running my tune for the past while has now prompted a necessary clutch job due to slippage in 5th and 6th. I believe that I can turn boost up in the final boost tables that KTuner has. I will be playing with the tune and give another update shortly. I have hit 18PSI by turning the final boost tables up (could have been a fluke due to colder weather here in Colorado).

Driving to boulder CO and Ft. Collins has allowed my to hit 20PSI at the MAP sensor (lower elevation) and will slip through 4th 5th and 6th gear. I have ordered the Clutch Masters FX350 and Hasport rear transmission/motor mount.

I also switched back to 91/93 octane as I drove to Houston Texas and I hit 23PSI. These cars love low elevation and all of you who live down there are crazy lucky.

J_Lowe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Civic Si Sedan (Totaled), 1998 Honda Prelude
Country flag
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but if I convert to the E85, can I still run 93? I don’t want to convert it over then one day not be able to find a E85 pump

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but if I convert to the E85, can I still run 93? I don’t want to convert it over then one day not be able to find a E85 pump
So if you only run the tune without doing the flex fuel sensor you will only be able to change back to gasoline once you have run your tank below 1 gallon. (the fuel light comes on at about 1.8 gallons). You would then have to flash a different tune.

This is a big downside to not running a flex fuel sensor.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is the exact purpose of a flex fuel kit, so you can run 93 or blend you e85 with 93 and not worry about it.

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is the exact purpose of a flex fuel kit, so you can run 93 or blend you e85 with 93 and not worry about it.
In my area e85 is extremely common, but when I go on road trips I just run the tank down and then re-tune. Just takes careful planning.

So yes, a flex fuel kit is much more convenient if you have to "switch" a lot

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick update in the tune and car...

Just finished everything with the clutch (fx350), downpipe (2.5 in redline 360), intake (no name Amazon), and rear motor mount (hasport race). Still datalogging with all the new parts, although the car pulls much more solid now. Lots of work to go though to get this tune right.

Afr's are good and have not seen anything abnormal there. The fuel trims are a bit strange at times (spiking to 15% at idle at times) but never seen anything higher than 2% under load or lower than -5% under load. I'm assuming this is due to the higher flow exhaust and flow characteristics if the no name intake/maf housing.

I will post some info as I learn with this but so far my base tune is running very well. No more wheel hop, and a lot more torque down low.
Sponsored