JuryRhombus23

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I'm driving a 2018 Civic Hatchback EX and have noticed that my shift lever has some wiggle to it. This is my first experience in a Honda and was wondering if this is normal. I've driven mostly manual transmissions but the few automatics I've driven didn't exhibit this characteristic. I've noticed that if you have your large smartphone in the upper storage compartment and shift from drive to park you will smash your phone into the shift lever. The car had a few hundred miles on it when I purchased it and I wonder if having a phone wedged against the shift lever could make the shift lever loose. I honestly can't remember whether or not it seemed loose when I purchased the car. I was focused on a lot of things but not the shift lever itself. The transmission seems to function fine so there isn't an issue with the shift lever putting the car into the appropriate gear. Any insight would be appreciated. My guess is that I wont' know for certain until I go in for my first oil change and have a chance to ask a service manager.
Sponsored

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm driving a 2018 Civic Hatchback EX and have noticed that my shift lever has some wiggle to it. This is my first experience in a Honda and was wondering if this is normal. I've driven mostly manual transmissions but the few automatics I've driven didn't exhibit this characteristic. I've noticed that if you have your large smartphone in the upper storage compartment and shift from drive to park you will smash your phone into the shift lever. The car had a few hundred miles on it when I purchased it and I wonder if having a phone wedged against the shift lever could make the shift lever loose. I honestly can't remember whether or not it seemed loose when I purchased the car. I was focused on a lot of things but not the shift lever itself. The transmission seems to function fine so there isn't an issue with the shift lever putting the car into the appropriate gear. Any insight would be appreciated. My guess is that I wont' know for certain until I go in for my first oil change and have a chance to ask a service manager.
The shifter is a cable shifter and not a direct mechanical shifter..... on top of that the majority of the shifter is plastic so there will be play, however you can reduce some of it by replacing the rubber base and transmission bushings with solid ones.