RustyRico

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic type R
Country flag
I was washing my car and i noticed that there seemed to be rust forming under the paint, is this something to worry about and take to the dealer or just use the touch up paint? This is on the top corners of the trunk in the crevice.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust in crevice on trunk IMG_0831

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust in crevice on trunk IMG_0830

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust in crevice on trunk IMG_0829

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
Oh! Wow! Not good! I would not accept this shit!

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
I had the same issue with my DC2. The rust did not grow larger. Nothing to worry about.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3CS / 2017 Chevy Tahoe Z71
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was washing my car and i noticed that there seemed to be rust forming under the paint, is this something to worry about and take to the dealer or just use the touch up paint?
I found the exact same thing on my CW; R-00057.

I called the dealership to asked what the repair procedure would be in a situation like this and they described a touch up process to re-seal the spot.
After hearing that, instead of leaving it in the dealers hands I decided to just take care of it myself. I ordered a a factory Honda NH-0 paint stick and used a product we've used in the workshop before that kills rust.
I prep'd the surface and used a Q-tip to dab a drip the "Ospho" on the spot; let it sit for a few minutes, then performed the touch up per the Honda NH-0 paint stick's instructions.
Checked it last week, all perfect now.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust in crevice on trunk s-l1600

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust in crevice on trunk IMG_0602.JPG

OP
OP
RustyRico

RustyRico

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic type R
Country flag
I found the exact same thing on my CW; R-00057.

I called the dealership to asked what the repair procedure would be in a situation like this and they described a touch up process to re-seal the spot.
After hearing that, instead of leaving it in the dealers hands I decided to just take care of it myself. I ordered a a factory Honda NH-0 paint stick and used a product we've used in the workshop before that kills rust.
I prep'd the surface and used a Q-tip to dab a drip the "Ospho" on the spot; let it sit for a few minutes, then performed the touch up per the Honda NH-0 paint stick's instructions.
Checked it last week, all perfect now.

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_0602.JPG
Thank you! i have touch up paint in the glove, and I'll order the Ospho.

wassen

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seriously I would not accept this. It is clear that rust has been initiated in more than one spot. This needs to be properly done in a workshop, topping over with paint will only delay the rust process and not stop it.

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
Seriously I would not accept this. It is clear that rust has been initiated in more than one spot. This needs to be properly done in a workshop, topping over with paint will only delay the rust process and not stop it.
I concur, I'd be taking that to Honda service and let them see it before you attempt to repair it yourself. Once you do you're on your own.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3CS / 2017 Chevy Tahoe Z71
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I concur, I'd be taking that to Honda service and let them see it before you attempt to repair it yourself. Once you do you're on your own.
After talking to my local Honda service manager about it, I found out they see this all the time. Happens with Civic's Accord's Ridgeline's ext.
He then went on to describe that the repair was nothing more than a touch up, they do not do anything to kill the rust as in his words "its only on the surface"...at that point I knew for my situation I was better off taking this into my own hands.

Last edited:

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
If that’s a typical Civic issue Honda needs to get their act together as that’s pretty weak in this day and age to see chassis flex causing paint to crack at seams like that.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
I would let the dealer deal with it, especially if you start finding other rust spots. While the procedure is simple, you want documentation in case down the road you get into a situation where you are out of warranty. Just my opinion.

FK8TW

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 CTR CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
Country flag
It's just due to the body shop adhesive shrinkage. My driver's door

FK8TW

First Name
Brian