OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Accelerating in 5th and 6th gear with light throttle application isn’t that bad. Like 10% throttle in 6th, 20% throttle in 5th above 3000 RPM. You just don’t want to build a lot of boost in those gears.

But any hard acceleration at highway speeds, 4th gear is a must.

Say you just want to speed up 1-3 mph to pass a semi a bit quicker to get out of the way of the guy riding your ass in the left lane. Just lightly apply throttle in 6th gear to speed up the process to get out of the way.

In a situation where i have to slow down from 77-80 mph to 67-72 mph to wait for a speed-governed semi to pass another semi. I’ll downshift to 5th, slowly accelerate back up to where I wan’t to be.

If i’m gettin pissed off and want to make a scene, i’ll drop it to 4th and hammer it.
I apply similar rules when climbing inclines on the highway.

Climbing a large incline in 6th gear with cruise control is the same thing as accelerating hard. The car will do it... but it will put a lot if strain on the engine and clutch assembly.
Thanks, I was wondering that too since last posting. Figured it was okay to lighly accelerate in those gears in certain siutations but was going to ask, so you answered my follow up questions.

I do downshift to 5th for inclines - is 5th good enough for those that aren't extreme at highway speeds? Not too many hills in my area so I am rarely in 4th for a hill at highway speed, not many stretches I can think of here that would need it.

Reminds me of driving up the Cajon Pass in so call with my 2004 Civic - no tachometer. If kept it floored in 5th gear (only 5-speed) to make it up that hill at highway speed, and if I had to take my foot off the gas for any reason I would lose considerable speed and move over to the slow lane. If only I had known to put it down a gear or two! I did that trip weekly or more for many years, goes to show how reliable it was hahaha.
Sponsored

OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
i thought only fk8r has rev match ?
Do you mean "automatic" rev match? I think the Si has it, too. My car does NOT have it, which is why I was looking for help with the steps for rev matching the old fashioned way.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Do you mean "automatic" rev match? I think the Si has it, too. My car does NOT have it, which is why I was looking for help with the steps for rev matching the old fashioned way.
I think he was referring to auto rev match yeah. And I don't think the Si has it.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si has it but only while cruise control is engaged and active
whattttt?... Si has auto rev match with cruise control?

Also @ OP

Once you have a successful rev match it's easy after that. When I first started I was very intimidated by it and was scared, I practiced on my friends beater car and had some very funky shifts where I fucked up. After you get used to the fluid movement of clutch/blip/shift then it's ezpz

feedmescotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Manual, 2018 Civic SI
Country flag
whattttt?... Si has auto rev match with cruise control?

Also @ OP

Once you have a successful rev match it's easy after that. When I first started I was very intimidated by it and was scared, I practiced on my friends beater car and had some very funky shifts where I fucked up. After you get used to the fluid movement of clutch/blip/shift then it's ezpz
Yessir, while my cruise control is on and I shift from 6th to 5th or to any other lower gear it’ll automatically rev match without me blipping the throttle

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yessir, while my cruise control is on and I shift from 6th to 5th or to any other lower gear it’ll automatically rev match without me blipping the throttle
Do you just clutch in then go to lower gear? I'll try this otw home after work

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Here I am double clutch downshifting while rev matching. Have I been doing wrong this whole time?

feedmescotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you just clutch in then go to lower gear? I'll try this otw home after work
Yup, clutch in, lower gear, clutch out. You’d expect it to be rough since you’re not blipping the gas, but it does it smooth right before the clutch completely engages. It’s A cool little feature albeit seldom used lol

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here I am double clutch downshifting while rev matching. Have I been doing wrong this whole time?
I double clutch if I want to drop 2 gears, I mostly rev match though

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup, clutch in, lower gear, clutch out. You’d expect it to be rough since you’re not blipping the gas, but it does it smooth right before the clutch completely engages. It’s A cool little feature albeit seldom used lol
Appreciate it! Learn something new everyday haha

feedmescotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Double clutch I only use when I put it into reverse from gear, since reverse has no synchros if I remember right

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Double clutch I only use when I put it into reverse from gear, since reverse has no synchros if I remember right
What are you doing on the road that compels the need to do that? J turns or trying to get the quickest parallel parking times?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The Si has it but only while cruise control is engaged and active
The Si does not have auto rev matching, you're just dumping the clutch in a downshift and letting it get up to speed. The car is just happening to continue to rev the engine when you suddenly pull it out of gear because it's applying throttle in cruise control. The only place in the manuals where the true Rev Match system is referenced is in the 5 door hatchback owners manual, and only for 2.0L motors (Type R). There isn't even a mention of Rev Match in the sedan/coupe owners manual.

feedmescotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Si does not have auto rev matching, you're just dumping the clutch in a downshift and letting it get up to speed. The car is just happening to continue to rev the engine when you suddenly pull it out of gear because it's applying throttle in cruise control. The only place in the manuals where the true Rev Match system is referenced is in the 5 door hatchback owners manual, and only for 2.0L motors (Type R). There isn't even a mention of Rev Match in the sedan/coupe owners manual.
Pretty sure of yourself for someone who doesn’t have an Si ?

The rev match is only for cruise control and you’re right, it isn’t mentioned in the owner‘s manual.
Sponsored