Putting tint on top of existing tint.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have an appointment on Thursday to add tint to the rear windows. Currently it's 30% and it's too light for my liking, looks clear on a sunny day. My tinter said he could add 20% tint on it and bring it down to 10%. I wonder if that will be enough to make it look dark because ceramic is generally much lighter. Rarely roll the rear windows down, so not worried about how it would affect that. Has anyone done this, and what do you think? I'm not interested in removing what's currently on there, and risk damaging the defrost lines.
Sponsored

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
I have an appointment on Thursday to add tint to the rear windows. Currently it's 30% and it's too light for my liking, looks clear on a sunny day. My tinter said he could add 20% tint on it and bring it down to 10%. I wonder if that will be enough to make it look dark because ceramic is generally much lighter. Rarely roll the rear windows down, so not worried about how it would affect that. Has anyone done this, and what do you think? I'm not interested in removing what's currently on there, and risk damaging the defrost lines.
That math doesn't quite seem to add up...30% + 20% = 6%, and that's assuming your 30% tint figure includes the 70% "factory tint" that Civics already come with.

If you added 30% tint on top of the 70% factory, you should currently have around 21% tint.

If the 30% tint figure you currently have doesn't account for the 70% "factory tint" Civics come with, it would actually be 21% current tint + 20% future tint = 4.2% total

As for your question, sorry I don't know if layering tint is effective or not but I'm sure the shop will be able to answer that.

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
My guy is re-tinting my Vette. He is stripping the lighter stuff off. It doesn't help you but it seems like the 'right way' to do it to me.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, stripping the old tint off first is the proper way to go. Does the shop warrant the tint against bubbling/peeling for the life of the vehicle?

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"to light" from the outside or the inside.... I have 20% ceramic on on all windows with 50% on the front windshield and from the inside it is pretty light but from the outside it is dark af
Sponsored