First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi All, when you got your hatcback tinted, did you have to have the interior trunk panels and rear spoiler removed? One smaller shop told me they needed to and another bigger company said they didn't have to. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Hi All, when you got your hatcback tinted, did you have to have the interior trunk panels and rear spoiler removed? One smaller shop told me they needed to and another bigger company said they didn't have to. Thoughts?
Tint World cuts their tint on a plotter-like device so they don't have to do the whole cutting to size on the outside surface. That's how I got mine done and I'm sure there are others who use the same process.

Last edited:

YEGFK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
Just had mine tinted on the weekend. They didn't remove the spoiler but they did remove the panels around the window on the inside of the hatch in order to get the film all the way to the edge. FYI they broke the two rubber-ish stoppers near the latch, which they are replacing this weekend.

PGean

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic ST, 2015 X5, 2009 MDX
Country flag
It's a possibility that the bigger shop bought a rear window for this purpose. One shop in my area bought one just for this purpose

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
Came already tinted, so, can't help
Useless post of the day right here. I think you’ll find that it’s hoingvto be a split; some tint places will do the hatch in two pieces, others in one. If you’re that particular about it (as I am), check with the tint company themselves and see what they do. You should be able to find one that fits your needs.

If you’re worried about the tint shop damaging your panels, I’d do as much as I can to make it easier for them. Yeah it’s their responsibility but why take the chance if you can avoid it. When I got my Impreza tinted, I dropped it off with the door panels and rear shelf removed. And when I had my windshield replaced, I took the a-pillar moldings and wiper and cowl panels off myself. Yeah I’m that kind of anal.

But to answer your question, I already have a tint company lined up to do my hatch. If they say they need to remove this or that (they won’t), I’ll take it off for them prior. I know I’ll take the hatch garnish off so they can get close to the edge. And the spoiler if they need it.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the bit name shop tell me that they were going to have to remove the spoiler and that depending on how long that took they were going to charge labor by the hour for how long that took, i started calling around other shops and found a local shop, they said there would be no need to remove the spoiler since they cut on their own glass...needless to say i went with them and paid about 200 less then the large shop would charge for the ceramic tints...and no unknown amount for shop labor

OP
OP
eha1988

eha1988

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well the place i will be going to next week responded that they have a computer program that cuts all the film out so I should be good to go without removing any panels! Will update with pictures when finished!

megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring SGP
Country flag
I had a guy and his helper come to my house and tint my hatchback. No special machine to cut the tint. He said he would need to remove the spoiler during the phone call but ended up not removing it when he showed up. Entire car took less than two hours to finish and looks great. So it is possible to do a good job without removing the spoiler and no need for extended hours to complete.

Partinrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6mt
It's a possibility that the bigger shop bought a rear window for this purpose. One shop in my area bought one just for this purpose
That’s what my shop did. They say it’s saved a bunch of time from having to take the spoiler etc. off.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
The shop that did mine didn't have to remove anything but it did take a while.
Sponsored