Pioneer 4200Nex with Polk Audio DB652 speakers with no amp?

l3randonf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Chevrolet 1500, 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
2017 civic sport hatchback

I want to replace the factory head unit with the 4200Nex and then replace the speakers with the Polk Audio DB652. I want to do this without installing an amp or sub. Will I see a noticeable difference in bass without an amp? Am I wasting money on this setup if I don't get an amp? I'd like to get by without installing an amp. The factory speaker / head unit combo is not good.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 4100NEX and those speakers. They are fine powered by the head unit but I have to say you can't expect much bass out of 6.5" speakers, regardless of whether you add an amp or not. It may help some but likely not much. I'm sure it will sound a lot better than stock though.

I'll be installing a 10" subwoofer soon.

OP
OP

l3randonf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Chevrolet 1500, 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I have a 4100NEX and those speakers. They are fine powered by the head unit but I have to say you can't expect much bass out of 6.5" speakers, regardless of whether you add an amp or not. It may help some but likely not much. I'm sure it will sound a lot better than stock though.

I'll be installing a 10" subwoofer soon.
I want a significant bass improvement and overall quality improvement. I know that a sub is necessary for absolute quality but I'm hoping I can be happy with just the head unit and speakers. Guess I'll just have to get them installed to see.

When I look at the RMS numbers on the head unit and the speakers.... it seems the speakers are going to be underpowered with just the head unit and no amp but I don't know.
Sponsored

Last edited: