Overtightened negative battery cable nut, now just spins in either direction. Help!

DOC101

First Name
Burhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
Hello,

So long story short I disconnected the negative battery cable because I was working on the car. When I went to put it back on, like an idiot I over torqued it & not the nut neither tightens or loosens. How do I get it off and replace it with another nut?
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Grab each side with a pair of pliers and pull apart as you twist to loosen. Hopefully a thread will grab.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What shoegazer said. Worse case pry it off with some flat blades, the terminal is lead so it will come off not too bad. I ditched the OEM hardware for the same reason. An M10x30 or 35 will be long enough you can use a washer, lock washer, and nut and it will be a much better connection and will never strip.

OP
OP

DOC101

First Name
Burhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
Grab each side with a pair of pliers and pull apart as you twist to loosen. Hopefully a thread will grab.
So just to clarify, grab the nut with 2 pliers from each side & rip the nut apart, and then replace the nut? Or I'm trying to force the nut upwards while twisting to loosen with the pliers, so that the it can catch a thread?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I forget what the OEM looks like but put a needle nose pliers in between and open them to spread the connection open while loosening the nut so the nut grabs. Or a little flat blade to pry it wider.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
So just to clarify, grab the nut with 2 pliers from each side & rip the nut apart, and then replace the nut? Or I'm trying to force the nut upwards while twisting to loosen with the pliers, so that the it can catch a thread?
Yeah... I was picturing a different mechanism.

That clamp is a pain. I don't have any wizard advice re: how to fix it. But I'll wish you good luck.