First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I posted before that I have a hard time reading the oil level on this car due to this orange plastic piece. First I felt like an idiot,but some other guys said the same thing so I don't feel to dumb now.
Any way,it says the level is supposed to be between the notches on the Orange piece, every time I check it,no matter what I do,it appears to be over the orange piece entirely and up onto the metal. Dealer changed it so, I asked them to look at it,they said its ok, but my paperwork says its above the full mark. So isn't that over filled?
Sponsored

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I changed my oil and filled it to spec. Still appears to be "overfilled." Stupid Honda engineers thought a little orange nub was a good idea.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I changed my oil and filled it to spec. Still appears to be "overfilled." Stupid Honda engineers thought a little orange nub was a good idea.
Lol. I'm gonna start doing my own,but it was free so I have no clue exactly how much they put in. I keep hearing about the oil level rising due to fuel mixing in with it due to the design of this engine,but it looked to full to me three days after they did it.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
So I'm not the only one that hates the orange bit...

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
If you keep checking it over and over, by about the fourth or fifth time you can get a good reading. That's what I do. The first few times it looks way overfilled. I think oil gets stuck in the dipstick tube or something.

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
What I do is take it out and press it against some paper and compare the marking on the paper next to the orange stick.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What I do is take it out and press it against some paper and compare the marking on the paper next to the orange stick.
Oh I tried that and it was leaving marks on the paper up at the top of that dumb orange piece,lol

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The dealer may have just put 4qts instead of the 3.7 it calls for. It shouldn't hurt it. Plus it will rise due to fuel dilution.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
The dealer may have just put 4qts instead of the 3.7 it calls for. It shouldn't hurt it. Plus it will rise due to fuel dilution.[/Q

3.7qt is a dry capacity. i was never able to put more than 3.5qts before it gets full. just drain some or pull through the dipstick tube

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
The orange bit is OK unless you've overfilled above the orange.

I pull the stick and remove the oil with a paper napkin. Orange bit appears dry.

Reinsert and then pull the stick. Orange bit remains dry above the oil level.

Fairly easy to interpret.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The orange bit is OK unless you've overfilled above the orange.

I pull the stick and remove the oil with a paper napkin. Orange bit appears dry.

Reinsert and then pull the stick. Orange bit remains dry above the oil level.

Fairly easy to interpret.
Now your the one trying to be a comedian,did you read this post all the way, I said its showing oil above the orange piece all the time which leads me to believe its over filled, its not dry on any of the orange piece at all but the dealer is saying that it is fine,so no its not easy to interpret when its supposed to be filled to one point and its way past that,and someone is telling you that its past full but not over filled.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
"... leads me to believe it's over filled..."

Of course it's over filled if all the orange is covered in oil. Obviously the car needs to be level to get an accurate reading.

I doubt the dealer is using their technicians to change oil. They probably have someone with minimal skill doing that task. Probably fixes tire leaks too.

I'm trying to say don't expect any great precision in those tasks. So I don't doubt they may overfill sometimes.

If you're that concerned have them check the oil level after a change with you watching over their shoulder.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I fill mine to the top mark on the orange stick, it is usually about 1/8 inch above that when it's time to change. It has never gone past the orange part. So yeah they did overfill. I don't think it would affect the main seals on the crank , but if you want to you can just pull the drain plug and let a little out. If it were mine, and me being anal, i would drain some out.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I have the 2.0 and I DIY my oil changes and I put exactly the correct amount of oil in; 4.4qts. with a new filter, and afterwards it usually looks way overfilled on the dipstick.
Sponsored