Oil leak(s)

AvailableUsername

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Country flag
When I went to do another routine oil change yesterday I noticed that there was some oil on the aluminum access panel. The oil seems to be coming from between where the trans mates to the engine. The little black access cover that let's you look at the flex plate was a bit wet. After seeing this I started poking around some more and found what looks to be my front crank seal leaking? Also saw some oil weeping out near where the passenger CV axle comes out of the trans. Here's a bunch of pictures just wanted to see if anyone else has seen anything similar. I saw some threads on the type R forum but this is a CVT not 6MT (hatch sport touring) 75k miles so no warranty :(

Also noticed the passenger side NVH pad thing on the belly pan was all messed up (first time the belly pan has ever been removed). It's wet because I rinsed it off, gotta love dirt roads...

Ive cleaned things up and will monitor for now. To be honest I don't regularly check the oil level between changes but I'm going to keep an eye on the dipstick level also. Things were dry underneath last oil change (probably not by the crank pulley though that one is a bit more out of sight) I change oil every 5k.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak(s) 20210507_145204

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak(s) 20210507_145147

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak(s) 20210507_143107

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak(s) 20210507_143036

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak(s) 20210507_155158

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak(s) 20210507_230518

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak(s) 20210507_162227

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak(s) 20210507_162243

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
I've seen other people complain about a leak at the rear main seal on even low mileage relatively recent Civics. If the leak is slow it sucks but probably not worth worrying about. Are you sure no oil was spilled top side? Sometimes oil spilled top side is deceptively similar looking to natural leaks and when heated by the engine the spilled oil thins out enough to migrate everywhere.

At minimum what I'd do if I were you is hose down the affected areas with brake cleaner to remove all of the oil and caked on dirt, then re-examine on the next oil change to see if the leak continues.

If I read correctly it's at 75k mileage? You're getting up where they usually recommend high mileage oils anyway, everyone has a different opinion but a common one is to switch only if both of these conditions are met:
1. Mileage meets or exceeds 75k miles.
2. You notice a leak.

Your engine seems a good candidate for switching over to HM oils.