Oil Leak or Spill?

shamusl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I have oil in a ring around the top of the motor, and I feel like I've been dealing with a dishonest dealer, so I wanted a second opinion and to see if anyone also has this problem. The dealer is claiming that the tech who did the oil change (at the same dealer) must've spilled oil a few months ago. I don't believe that for a second.

When I checked the oil level, it was higher than full, which the dealer did not comment on. I think I'm just starting to get pushback because so far this dealer has replaced so many things, they don't want to add more to the vehicles history.

The transmission in this vehicle was replaced after it couldn't accelerate past 30mph, the engine rattles on cold starts, grinds on hot starts, they've replaced all the exterior trim around the doors because it was disintegrating, the collision mitigation system malfunctioned and required fixing, CarPlay works about 30% of the time, they've changed out both of the hatch struts because they were leaking, and then they've done a bunch of recalls and all the product updates on top of those failures.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leak or Spill? IMG_1319
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leak or Spill? IMG_1320
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leak or Spill? IMG_1321
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leak or Spill? IMG_1322
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leak or Spill? IMG_1323

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I have oil in a ring around the top of the motor, and I feel like I've been dealing with a dishonest dealer, so I wanted a second opinion and to see if anyone also has this problem. The dealer is claiming that the tech who did the oil change (at the same dealer) must've spilled oil a few months ago. I don't believe that for a second.

When I checked the oil level, it was higher than full, which the dealer did not comment on. I think I'm just starting to get pushback because so far this dealer has replaced so many things, they don't want to add more to the vehicles history.

The transmission in this vehicle was replaced after it couldn't accelerate past 30mph, the engine rattles on cold starts, grinds on hot starts, they've replaced all the exterior trim around the doors because it was disintegrating, the collision mitigation system malfunctioned and required fixing, CarPlay works about 30% of the time, they've changed out both of the hatch struts because they were leaking, and then they've done a bunch of recalls and all the product updates on top of those failures.

IMG_1319.jpg
IMG_1320.jpg
IMG_1321.jpg
IMG_1322.jpg
IMG_1323.jpg
While I cannot really comment on your particular situation, because I have no facts w.r.t. the oil, I would make the following suggestions.

After any service work done by either a Dealer, or anyone else, it is well worth spending a little time going over what they have done.
In your case, if you had inspected the engine area, particularly around the oil fill, you would know if that oil was new or not.
Also, 100% of the time, CHECK THE OIL LEVEL yourself.
Do not rely on the mechanic to have filled it correctly.
This also give you the opportunity to check the condition of the NEW (?) oil.

That being said, amazed you have had so much trouble with a 2017 Honda ... I would have considered that to be anywhere near typical. :(

OP
OP

shamusl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
While I cannot really comment on your particular situation, because I have no facts w.r.t. the oil, I would make the following suggestions.

After any service work done by either a Dealer, or anyone else, it is well worth spending a little time going over what they have done.
In your case, if you had inspected the engine area, particularly around the oil fill, you would know if that oil was new or not.
Also, 100% of the time, CHECK THE OIL LEVEL yourself.
Do not rely on the mechanic to have filled it correctly.
This also give you the opportunity to check the condition of the NEW (?) oil.

That being said, amazed you have had so much trouble with a 2017 Honda ... I would have considered that to be anywhere near typical. :(
Thanks for the suggestions. I did check the oil level before bringing the car in to be looked at, and it was higher than full. I added windshield wiper fluid about 2 weeks prior and I don't recall this "spill" being there, but I can't say I was specifically looking unfortunately... I do regular inspections of the vehicle either every two or three weeks, especially because of the ongoing problems. It just seems too perfectly aligned with the gaskets to not be from the gasket. I think I'm just getting worn down and frustrated and this seems like a particularly ridiculous lie on their part.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I did check the oil level before bringing the car in to be looked at, and it was higher than full.
Sounds like you "might" have the oil dilution problem that the 1.5T motor is experiencing for some.
Gas might be getting into the oil and raising the level, not good because this lessens the viscosity of the oil which lessons the lubrication properties of the oil.
I read HONDA is workng on a fix for this issue.

Sounds like your CVT Trans overheated and went into "limp mode", that's what it does when it won't accelerate past 30mph or so. It's a "failsafe" way that the trans doesn't self destruct, it prevents it from overheating all the way and cooking the trans.
I had this happen to me on 2 Nissan Altimas wih the CVT transmission,

You have had a lot of problems with your car, it "might" qualify for a Lemon Law return depending on the state where you live.
Every state has different rules.
I'd talk to a Lemon Law attorney in your state.
If it falls under your states Lemon Law you may get a buyback from the manufacturer OR a new car.

Good Luck!

OP
OP

shamusl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like you "might" have the oil dilution problem that the 1.5T motor is experiencing for some.
Gas might be getting into the oil and raising the level, not good because this lessens the viscosity of the oil which lessons the lubrication properties of the oil.
I read HONDA is workng on a fix for this issue.

Sounds like your CVT Trans overheated and went into "limp mode", that's what it does when it won't accelerate past 30mph or so. It's a "failsafe" way that the trans doesn't self destruct, it prevents it from overheating all the way and cooking the trans.
I had this happen to me on 2 Nissan Altimas wih the CVT transmission,

You have had a lot of problems with your car, it "might" qualify for a Lemon Law return depending on the state where you live.
Every state has different rules.
I'd talk to a Lemon Law attorney in your state.
If it falls under your states Lemon Law you may get a buyback from the manufacturer OR a new car.

Good Luck!
The car already qualifies for Lemon Law in my state because the vehicle has been in service for 75 days in the past year. I already hired an attorney who is already taking action on the car. While this is taking place though, this oil leak is a new problem that hasn't shown up until a few days ago. I want some argument or *something* to say to the dealer when I pick the car up in person and they've just scrubbed the oil off the motor without fixing anything.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I want some argument or *something* to say to the dealer when I pick the car up in person and they've just scrubbed the oil off the motor without fixing anything.
Ok....well....The tech can only spill oil once right? (if he really did of course) So after they clean it keep an eye on it and if it's really a leak then you'll see more evidence and there's your "something"

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't understand all this stuff about hiring an attorney for the lemon law. My car was a lemon and honda had to buy it back and I ended up with a brand new one. Absolutely no attorney involved.
I used the arbitration place listed in the manual and that was that.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
It sounds like you have a similar issue to someone else on this forum with an SI. He had the dealer replace an O-ring for an oil line and it solved the problem. As for your car, it sucks to be so unlucky to have all those problems at such an early age.
Sponsored