"No Device Connected" At Startup

mgnexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Good Morning,

I don't always use Android Auto...but when I do...I get errors later.

Given that I put my phone in the little hideaway near the USB connector since Phone + Connected cable fits a little awkwardly in the tray under all the controls...I often forget that it's there until I've already shut the car off and am exiting. The problem with this seems to be, that if I had used Android Auto in my previous drive, the next time I start the car I get a "No device connected" error at the bottom, and have to hit Home before I can do anything on the display.

Ideally this would just be a little 5 second notification that clears on its own, but is there an easy way to tell the car not to care about that anymore without hooking the phone back up and disconnecting it properly? I've tried changing the source around and whatnot and it keeps popping up every time.
Sponsored

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
You might be getting that because you have a Bluetooth pairing. I have never utilized Android Auto, but I do have my phone paired, and I get that notification every time I start the car until the car and phone reconnect and make friendly for their newest encounter.

OP
OP
mgnexus

mgnexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
You might be getting that because you have a Bluetooth pairing. I have never utilized Android Auto, but I do have my phone paired, and I get that notification every time I start the car until the car and phone reconnect and make friendly for their newest encounter.
Hmm, is that what it is? That's interesting. Wish the interface would give the phone/car more than half a second to re-establish the paring before it decides it could not connect.

Thanks for the insight.

jmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Mine has done this using carplay, without bluetooth even set up. It hasn't happened consistently though.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Sounds like if the car has ever been paired in any way (bluetooth, carplay, android auto), it looks around in a panic as soon as it is started and says "device not connected." Once it finds its old friend, the message goes away.

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
It seems it's setup the same way as other hondalink system. The system will show the last screen it was on when the car was shut off. If you were on android auto/CarPlay it will start up the same screen. Since the HU is ran off the phone there's nothing to display if nothing is connected. On my other Hondas if I'm on my wallpaper I return to my wallpaper with same audio. If I'm on home screen then I return to home screen. Etc. Etc. CarPlay is still new so bugs and issues are not really discovered until it reaches the consumers. There's a tech support number for Honda or you can hit up their Twitter. If there's some issues they will look into and hopefully it gets fix.

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
Good Morning,

I don't always use Android Auto...but when I do...I get errors later.

Given that I put my phone in the little hideaway near the USB connector since Phone + Connected cable fits a little awkwardly in the tray under all the controls...I often forget that it's there until I've already shut the car off and am exiting. The problem with this seems to be, that if I had used Android Auto in my previous drive, the next time I start the car I get a "No device connected" error at the bottom, and have to hit Home before I can do anything on the display.

Ideally this would just be a little 5 second notification that clears on its own, but is there an easy way to tell the car not to care about that anymore without hooking the phone back up and disconnecting it properly? I've tried changing the source around and whatnot and it keeps popping up every time.
Make sure you wifi is off, your bluetooth and location are on BEFORE plugging it into your usb. That was my problem. You gotta make sure your wifi is off and both bluetooth and location are set to on before you try to connect to the infotainment system.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
To add to the above comment, AA must first connect via BT in order to recognize the device. If the phone is already paired, and BT is connected, you shouldn't have an issue connecting to AA.

GL.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
If you mean you get a black screen with "no device connected" at the bottom then this isn't really an error message.

The way Honda does things is that whatever input source you use it stays on until you actively choose to change sources.

So say you had a usb thumb drive and pulled it out, it doesn't fall back to some other source, it just sits in USB mode and tells you there isn't a source.

The same happens when you use android auto or CarPlay.
Even though you have nothing connected the system is still treating the "source" as a phone and is waiting for you to either pick a different source or plug the phone back in.
It's working as intended.
It's just that as intended is a poor user experience.

What it should do is default to a different source if it doesn't find the one it's looking for, my Hyundai would just fall back to radio if it couldn't find my phone or thumb drive.

ribeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX 2016
I signed up for this forum to express my appreciation for the advice given in this thread. I have been struggling with Android Auto in my 2016 Civic EX with my Samsung Galaxy S5, and it has finally started working again. Things I did that made a difference:
  • Always make sure Bluetooth is on with my phone before I turned on the car or went into Accessory mode. (make sure Bluetooth pairing is already setup and working between phone and car).
  • Reset the vehicle system by holding the audio power down for 5 seconds. (My system is on Ver.1.F183.52, if anybody is curious).
  • Used the OEM USB cable that came with my phone. I just ordered 19/24 AWG USB cables from Amazon, then realized that my OEM cable is also thicker than the USB cables I have been trying to use.
  • Adjusted my power saving mode by no longer restricting CPU performance or Screen output. I doubt this made a difference, but it was a change I made, and others have commented on disabling optimization under battery settings (this setting doesn't exist on my phone).
Yesterday I enabled USB Debugging on my phone to troubleshoot Android Auto. That didn't help by itself, but I suppose it is possible that this is also a necessary step. I've also read somewhere that a work-owned/controlled phone might enable KNOX, which might prevent Android Auto from launching. However, I don't think this is true, since I'm using a work phone running KNOX version 2.4 and my Android Auto still works. I'm on Android version 5.1.1.

Sequences I found working today:
  • Turned on car, wait for Bluetooth to pair, then connect USB. Android Auto launched.
  • Turned off car without exiting Android Auto or disconnecting phone from USB. Keep phone plugged into USB, then turn on car. Android Auto launched.
  • Turned off car without exiting Android Auto or disconnecting phone from USB. Unplug phone from USB, plug phone back into USB, then turn on car. Android Auto launched.
  • Turned off car without exiting Android Auto or disconnecting phone from USB. Leave phone plugged into USB, then turned on Accessory mode. Android Auto didn't launch. Unplugged USB, then plugged back in USB. Android Auto launched.
After failing launching Android Auto 10+ times yesterday, and running it successfully 10+ times today, it feels more reliable. *knock on wood*

Hope this information helps others, because I enjoy it when it works.

p.s. - music in MDPlayer works great, especially the playlists.

Question: Is the display supposed to be auto light sensing?

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Question: Is the display supposed to be auto light sensing?
Light sensing? No. Coupled to the other interior/dash lighting? Yes. But you have to press the button on top of the display (just above the power touch target but not on the touchscreen, on its top edge) to take it out of max brightness mode.

ribeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX 2016
Light sensing? No. Coupled to the other interior/dash lighting? Yes. But you have to press the button on top of the display (just above the power touch target but not on the touchscreen, on its top edge) to take it out of max brightness mode.
Could you clarify by what you mean by coupling to the other interior/dash lighting? I tried to look through display settings in the hopes of finding something that will go into night mode when my car automatically turns on headlights, but couldn't find it. Mine always starts in max brightness mode when I start the car, even if I last left it at dark/adjustable mode.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Sounds like you doing the right things. The one other thing I would try--not being there to play with yours and still waiting for ours to get built and travel here--is making sure the twisto-knob for dash brightness is *not* in the all-the-way-cw brightness position.

ribeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX 2016
Sounds like you doing the right things. The one other thing I would try--not being there to play with yours and still waiting for ours to get built and travel here--is making sure the twisto-knob for dash brightness is *not* in the all-the-way-cw brightness position.
Thanks for your quick reply. My interior lighting and dimming settings are configured through a Vehicle submenu under Settings:
http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/2016-honda-civic-first-drive-sg-33-1280x720.jpg

What was weird is that this morning I manually set the display to dark/adjustable using the physical button on top of the head unit, went through a tunnel, headlights automatically kicked on, then display went full brightness. So it feels like it know when to go from night-time viewing to day-time viewing, but not the other way around...

paps12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic
Has anyone tried to to download apps to there vehicle with the apk installer provided by Honda I have tried over and over I get to the install menu as it is reading my USB but it doesn't allow for install but yet it gives you the option!

I love my 2016 but I am also having to reset my civic radio once and awhile for Bluetooth pairing issues as well.
Sponsored