Connected device is not responding / no android auto

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
Has anyone else had this issue and find a fix?

Phone was working fine a week ago then suddenly it started saying "connected device is not responding" when I plugged it in before going to work. So no android auto for me, just regular Bluetooth. I've factory reset the head unit, my phone, and used three different cables in both USB ports. I event went to Honda to get the software on the HU updated and it still hasn't worked. Not sure what I can do to get it to work. Phone is a Pixel 2 XL
Sponsored

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Phone was working fine a week ago then suddenly it started saying "connected device is not responding" when I plugged it in before going to work. So no android auto for me, just regular Bluetooth. I've factory reset the head unit, my phone, and used three different cables in both USB ports. I event went to Honda to get the software on the HU updated and it still hasn't worked. Not sure what I can do to get it to work. Phone is a Pixel 2 XL
When I had this issue it was remedied by simply uninstalling and reinstalling android auto on my phone. Sounds like you've already tried that with a factory reset though. Did the HU reset delete phone data? Maybe try forgetting the phone from the HU if it wasn't?

OP
OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I had this issue it was remedied by simply uninstalling and reinstalling android auto on my phone. Sounds like you've already tried that with a factory reset though. Did the HU reset delete phone data? Maybe try forgetting the phone from the HU if it wasn't?
Yeah I've tried deleting android auto and removing the phone from the HU as well as removing the car from the phone's system. Nothing worked. Still got the connected device not responding message when Android auto wasn't even installed on the phone.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

I have the same issue on my Galaxy S9. I bought a new cable from eBay for my car, and it worked fine for a couple of months. Then it stopped working with Android Auto. It charges just fine, however. I tried another cable from the same vendor, but it didn't help.

I have tried everything I can find on the internet, EXCEPT ONE THING: I haven't tried the original Samsung cable (because I can't find it) or another cable from an authorized dealer. I have a feeling that the latest OS update prevents unauthorized cables from working. This happened with my iPhone a long time ago.

Have you tried the original USB cable or another authorized cable?

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
Have you tried the original USB cable or another authorized cable?
This is the most likely culprit. Android Auto is extremely sensitive to USB cables - cables I can use for charging or copying files from my PC don't necessarily work for AA.

OP
OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is the most likely culprit. Android Auto is extremely sensitive to USB cables - cables I can use for charging or copying files from my PC don't necessarily work for AA.
Tried three different cables including the one I had been using AA with for months. None of them worked. I have the original usb c to usb c cable but that doesn't helped in this case because the car doesn't take usb c

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
You don't by chance have a USB Flash drive plugged in do you?
I have had non-stop problems using USB flash on both modern Hondas in the family ('16 Civic, '18 CR-V). Some devices work, some work temporarily, some never work. For the life of me I can't find a USB flash device that consistently operates without causing issues in one or both vehicles. When the issues arise, they cause problems with the side/rear cameras and Android Auto.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I've tried deleting android auto and removing the phone from the HU as well as removing the car from the phone's system. Nothing worked. Still got the connected device not responding message when Android auto wasn't even installed on the phone.
Another probably useless suggestion, but you never know. Do you have a security lock on your phone? AA needs the phone to be unlocked when plugging in or it needs to be added to the white list if you do. Guessing by how much you've already tried you've probably already tried this too though.

OP
OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No USB flash drive plugged in and yeah I've tried it unlocked. In my friend's rental car that has it (Ford focus), I plugged in my phone to see if it would work and it didn't so I'm starting to think it's an issue with my phone (pixel 2) and the newest software.

YEGFK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
I am having the exact same issue! Bought my car 3 months ago, have had zero issues with AA. Went to get a coffee this morning, worked fine. Plugged my phone in after coffee, not working. Reinstalled AA, no dice. I'm using the original charging cable that came with my phone. This is driving me INSANE.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Had this issue with crappy cables. Changed to aukey braided cable and it has worked better. Still occasionally need to reseat the connection to my Samsung S9+.

YEGFK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
I am having the exact same issue! Bought my car 3 months ago, have had zero issues with AA. Went to get a coffee this morning, worked fine. Plugged my phone in after coffee, not working. Reinstalled AA, no dice. I'm using the original charging cable that came with my phone. This is driving me INSANE.
UPDATE: After factory resetting my head unit for a 3rd time, AA is working again.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have been having the same issue. Tried 2 new cable, updated the Android OS, still didn't work.

Finally, I went to Honda and this is how they fixed it:

From the Home Menu, go to Settings->Smartphone->Android Auto. Then Enable your phone. Somehow it got disabled.

stefanim76

First Name
Stefani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-l
Country flag
As ludicrous as this sounds... It worked. I spent hours trying to figure out why it would not even connect or flash repeatedly between, not responding or not connected. I used 3 different cables including the original for my Galaxy note 9 with a brand new Civic EX-L 2019. I took my phone case off and boom! It connected just fine! So excited

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
As ludicrous as this sounds... It worked. I spent hours trying to figure out why it would not even connect or flash repeatedly between, not responding or not connected. I used 3 different cables including the original for my Galaxy note 9 with a brand new Civic EX-L 2019. I took my phone case off and boom! It connected just fine! So excited
Was the case preventing the cable from being inserted all of the way?
Sponsored