Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ktuner, for the average driver just looking for better drivability (and a set and forget setup) would we be safe uploading one of your base tunes and just driving, with no monitoring?
Sponsored

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Yes, the majority of the original V1 owners who didn't have a custom tune have done exactly that. Flash and drive. Then maybe come back to use the quick adjustments, flash again, and drive. :)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I'm pretty well sold on the Ktuner now. :thumbsup:Hopefully around tax refund time, I'll be getting one. Do you recommend buying it from VitViper's site?

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Seems like there's some confusion here. You do not need to monitor anything. There is nowhere that we are telling people they need to monitor things to make sure it's safe. It's coming up on two years since we opened to public testing, there have been countless miles logged on our tunes in some of the harshest weather conditions seen (Hot and cold), and zero reported incidents. That's telling.

So why is there so much discussion about things to monitor? There's never been a time previously that data was so readily available. Prior to the V2 release you had to have a laptop, download on board logging data to review, or pull out your phone and connect an app to see live data. With the V2, if you have it mounted somewhere, data is always available and right in front of you. People are seeing more and more data, so they have more and more questions about that data. What to monitor, what values are within range, is this something I should be concerned about etc. Until people knew to basically ignore knock count on this platform there were many people concerned over the values that would pop up. We explained Knock Control was a better indication of what's going on with the ECU, as far as optimal running conditions. Now people are saying definitely watch knock control. It's a great value to watch, but you do not have to. :)

With that said, good things to watch for optimal running conditions are definitely the temperatures and knock control. What's optimal? Depends where you live and what kind of gas you're using. Knock control will always vary and move around as the ECU is constantly adjusting. We want the ECU to have room to make adjustments based on local conditions. Just sitting at .49 Knock Control all the time likely means the tune is too conservative for the conditions. It's supposed to move, by design.

Boost targets and MAP (Manifold Pressure) are always great to watch in relation to TPS, just to see how everything works together. We make everything available on the V2 so you can monitor anything your heart desires. :)
Thank you for clarifying. :thumbsup:

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Thanks. I'm pretty well sold on the Ktuner now. :thumbsup:Hopefully around tax refund time, I'll be getting one. Do you recommend buying it from VitViper's site?
I definitely think buying from vendors who support this site helps the community as a whole.

Thank you for clarifying. :thumbsup:
Not a problem.

OP
OP
2tone

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems like there's some confusion here. You do not need to monitor anything. There is nowhere that we are telling people they need to monitor things to make sure it's safe. It's coming up on two years since we opened to public testing, there have been countless miles logged on our tunes in some of the harshest weather conditions seen (Hot and cold), and zero reported incidents. That's telling.

So why is there so much discussion about things to monitor? There's never been a time previously that data was so readily available. Prior to the V2 release you had to have a laptop, download on board logging data to review, or pull out your phone and connect an app to see live data. With the V2, if you have it mounted somewhere, data is always available and right in front of you. People are seeing more and more data, so they have more and more questions about that data. What to monitor, what values are within range, is this something I should be concerned about etc. Until people knew to basically ignore knock count on this platform there were many people concerned over the values that would pop up. We explained Knock Control was a better indication of what's going on with the ECU, as far as optimal running conditions. Now people are saying definitely watch knock control. It's a great value to watch, but you do not have to. :)

With that said, good things to watch for optimal running conditions are definitely the temperatures and knock control. What's optimal? Depends where you live and what kind of gas you're using. Knock control will always vary and move around as the ECU is constantly adjusting. We want the ECU to have room to make adjustments based on local conditions. Just sitting at .49 Knock Control all the time likely means the tune is too conservative for the conditions. It's supposed to move, by design.

Boost targets and MAP (Manifold Pressure) are always great to watch in relation to TPS, just to see how everything works together. We make everything available on the V2 so you can monitor anything your heart desires. :)

Thanks for clarifying, maybe I should ask more specific questions, sorry for the misunderstanding. I never meant to imply that there was any sort of NEED to monitor I just want to know more about a car I plan on modding. For example at what temps would an aftermarket intercooler be useful? I live in Florida where it's always hot and we have no winter, in the middle of summer running vit stage 1 and a down pipe is there a point in temperature where I should say "hmmm my car is running pretty hot, an intercooler would be a great mod to get next"? I want an intercooler but before I buy one I want to make sure I'd actually need one. I just rather not spend 500-600 on an intercooler when it turns out I'm not pushing my car to temps any higher than what my stock intercooler can handle.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying, maybe I should ask more specific questions, sorry for the misunderstanding. I never meant to imply that there was any sort of NEED to monitor I just want to know more about a car I plan on modding. For example at what temps would an aftermarket intercooler be useful? I live in Florida where it's always hot and we have no winter, in the middle of summer running vit stage 1 and a down pipe is there a point in temperature where I should say "hmmm my car is running pretty hot, an intercooler would be a great mod to get next"? I want an intercooler but before I buy one I want to make sure I'd actually need one. I just rather not spend 500-600 on an intercooler when it turns out I'm not pushing my car to temps any higher than what my stock intercooler can handle.
You can compare the IATs and look for heat soak between pre (IAT) and post (IAT2) intercooler IATs to see if an intercooler may be beneficial to you, or if yours is taking care of business as is.

Ziaro7

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I was mainly just curious of there was anything to monitor for standard daily driving, as during this cold winter, I always warm my car up before I drive anywhere to a fair amount so having V2 plugged in has been great to see ECT.

I had to visit the dealership a few days ago for the right rear sub zero thumping and had to switch it back to factory. Having the Car tuned through KTuner makes the car so much more fun to drive. Well worth the money.

RamrodSi

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe
Yeah just because you have the parameters available to monitor doesn't mean they NEED to be monitored. Its just like some vehicles come from the factory with more gauges than others. Doesn't mean you NEED to monitor your transmission temps if you vehicle comes equipped with that gauge. To me, its fun and interesting watching actual numbers for ECT instead of a little red bar going up and down. Also, having IAT is pretty informative as well.
Sponsored