My PRL Intercooler Install/Review

Phylanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 CRV, '17 Si Sedan
Country flag
Glad to see your kit made it out to you and thanks for the input! :)

We apologize about any of the issues at hand. We have a few customers that will be releasing a writeup any day now, so we anticipated these being available shortly after these had shipped. We will be posting/sharing install links shortly. Also to be noted in the install, the horn's thin bracket may need to be slightly bent or relocated to another bolting location. This isn't uncommon during FMIC installs, as most horns are typically in the way of piping/intercoolers.

Our purchasing manager reached out to the silicone supplier about this issue. Basically the plug(s)/mold(s) that go inside of the silicone during the manufacturing process must've had something on them which transferred onto the silicone. Though this imperfection will not affect performance/longevity, we have no problem offering a warranty silicone coupler swap for you.

We had custom diameter caps made for the intercooler inlet/outlet openings. These weren't quite yet available when these kits were ready to ship, so we shipped them without caps to keep orders rolling out the door. However, we definitely should've taped/sealed the end tanks off somehow anyways. At least the foam is doing it's job! ;)

We look forward to hearing your feedback on the intercooler's performance! :thumbsup:
@PRL Motorsports Any update on install links? Also will the next batch of FMICs address the silicone coupler issue so that it doesn't rub against the horn without having to bend the horn bracket? I have your PRL CAI installed and am loving it so far. I felt more comfortable tackling the install with the install guide you guys put out. Thanks.
Sponsored

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports Any update on install links? Also will the next batch of FMICs address the silicone coupler issue so that it doesn't rub against the horn without having to bend the horn bracket? I have your PRL CAI installed and am loving it so far. I felt more comfortable tackling the install with the install guide you guys put out. Thanks.
you can just pull the coupler off the intercooler a bit and it'll make clearance. I'm running high psi no problem.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Did PRL ever post up links/tutorial for installing this? Going to tackle my install this weekend.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
We had custom diameter caps made for the intercooler inlet/outlet openings. These weren't quite yet available when these kits were ready to ship, so we shipped them without caps to keep orders rolling out the door. However, we definitely should've taped/sealed the end tanks off somehow anyways. At least the foam is doing it's job! ;)
Just received my intercooler today. Safe to say those end caps are in stock now and doing their job as well!

Honda Civic 10th gen My PRL Intercooler Install/Review IMG_1113
Honda Civic 10th gen My PRL Intercooler Install/Review IMG_1112
Honda Civic 10th gen My PRL Intercooler Install/Review IMG_1114

Dbrini

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Just received my intercooler today. Safe to say those end caps are in stock now and doing their job as well!

IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1112.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg
Major bummer - i was so excited to track it and it arrived with a nice big ding...the thing is a beast anyways. I already put a call in with an email to follow - not sure how they’ll handle but assume they will do just fine....

Honda Civic 10th gen My PRL Intercooler Install/Review 213F2272-A4AC-4EF3-BF55-A54B58C0759D

Honda Civic 10th gen My PRL Intercooler Install/Review 618E3F30-B98E-4541-B12D-E5F064CD5696

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh crap! Your post made me double check my intercooler and sure enough mine is damaged as well! :banghead:

Guess I'll be contacting them too... honestly I think this is more of a case of UPS mishandling the package than insufficient packing. It seemed to be packed well and I was wondering why so much foam was broken up, package probably got tossed around. Maybe @PRL Motorsports should consider sticking FRAGILE stickers all over the box.

Honda Civic 10th gen My PRL Intercooler Install/Review InkedInkedIMG_1113_LI

Honda Civic 10th gen My PRL Intercooler Install/Review 20180419_212344

Honda Civic 10th gen My PRL Intercooler Install/Review 20180419_212352

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So PRL responded to someone on the GenX Facebook page about damaged intercoolers:

Shoot us an email with your contact info and pictures. I will take care of this first thing in the morning. Basically while trying to deliver these back-orders earlier than their 4/23 ETA, a dozen or so intercoolers were packaged in our non-standard packaging because there was a delay on packaging material. A handful of these were damaged during shipping, sadly. All other intercoolers were packaged in different packaging. While the damage is only cosmetic, it's still a shame this happened. As always. We will get this taken care of for you. We apologize for the inconvenience.

In regards to the question asking if other intercoolers damage so easily, yes. These cores have the external fins facing out for optimal cooling on the tops and bottoms. These are more susceptible to dents than the "bar" rows of the core.

Moab23

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen My PRL Intercooler Install/Review C96F0564-0747-4725-8162-79A7DBC48D9B
Ok so installed mine yesterday and I of course disconnect the battery. It took me a while because I did oil change and modified my splitter on the same go. After freakin out with systems initializing last night I left till the morning. Everything was cleared. Took it for test run and I’m getting 16-18 psi on regular mode and 14-15,16 on sport mode? I’m totally stock except for Prl intercooler kit. Someone please help I’m once again freakin out.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
C96F0564-0747-4725-8162-79A7DBC48D9B.jpeg
Ok so installed mine yesterday and I of course disconnect the battery. It took me a while because I did oil change and modified my splitter on the same go. After freakin out with systems initializing last night I left till the morning. Everything was cleared. Took it for test run and I’m getting 16-18 psi on regular mode and 14-15,16 on sport mode? I’m totally stock except for Prl intercooler kit. Someone please help I’m once again freakin out.
That's all I ever saw on stock.

Moab23

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si
Country flag
That's all I ever saw on stock.
Ok cool I was worried for a second never really noticed I have to look at gauges more othen, I’m more of a look at the roads and obstacles type of guy lol

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok cool I was worried for a second never really noticed I have to look at gauges more othen, I’m more of a look at the roads and obstacles type of guy lol
Yeah, I really would have to pin the pedal to the floor on the stock tune to maybe see around 16 to 17 psi, and even then, just for a moment.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some additional pictures post bumper install. Everything installed just fine. Front bumper can be a pain in the ass lining everything up. Never seen so much plastic push tabs installed on a Honda before. lol.

20180206_112807-jpg.jpg

20180206_112815-jpg.jpg

Some sweet eye candy coming from the open holes in the vent on the right side of the bumper for the horn ;)
20180206_112825-jpg.jpg

Picture showing fitment of the cold side piping from the bottom of the car up.
20180206_112911-jpg.jpg

20180206_112839-jpg.jpg
Just got my PRL intercooler. Did you have to remove the airbox to get to the charge pipe? Wondering how much of the engine bay I'll have to take apart in order to feed the appropriate pipes down to the intercooler.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I already had the PRL CAI so it was easy to get in there. Not sure if you have stock airbox. I’d say it takes up more space.

Just got my PRL intercooler. Did you have to remove the airbox to get to the charge pipe? Wondering how much of the engine bay I'll have to take apart in order to feed the appropriate pipes down to the intercooler.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I must one of the only ones if not the only one that has the PRL intercooler paired with a flashpro because It seemed I was the only one who had issues with the results of the intercooler performance. Funny because I mentioned earlier on the original post that I do feel the car drives overall better and in fact my boost pressure actually increased by 1/2 - 1 psi... so I found it mind boggling I feel a positive difference in driveability but negative results in my parameters.
Is the gain in boost reference based on the stock gauge? Or logged map readings?

A increase in boost pressure is the result of more restriction if that's the case. Which would make sense that a more thermally efficient core would somewhat slow flow and have more pressure drop.

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
Is the gain in boost reference based on the stock gauge? Or logged map readings?

A increase in boost pressure is the result of more restriction if that's the case. Which would make sense that a more thermally efficient core would somewhat slow flow and have more pressure drop.
based on stock gauge. it was only slightly at certain moments. wouldn't hold the higher pressure for too long
Sponsored