Most 2016 Civics have trunk rust!!!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
I think that any colour other than white will just not be noticed. If you see my picture, it between the plastic and metal and pretty up in there. On darker colours if u look at it, I doubt you'll see rust without taking the plastic piece off. Again this may be just a white colour thing or it is actually an issue with all and in that case, if it was, maybe darker coloured cars will figure it out in a couple of years when the rust pushes down
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Had my eye out on the road and I've seen almost every civic with white have rust even in the hatchback. Some peoples rust is so bad it bleeds down to the actual trunk. To the point where I completely see it while driving behind one. I really do HOPE there is a Recall. from my experience all white ones are affected

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
This is a low spot in the overlying trim piece that will have water draining from it. *Anything* in the water will leave residue here as the water draining from this piece runs down over the sheet metal below. That residue would, almost by definition, be most visible on a white car. Have you, or anybody, taken off the overlying piece ("Garnish Assy., RR. License") to see if there really is a rust source below? Maybe you should drop by a body shop and get a second opinion from somebody who has surely taken apart the deck lid on a 10th gen Civic sedan by now. Are you sure this isn't just road grime? The aerodynamics of the car are such that all the road spray kicked up, even on barely wet pavement, will land all over this area and have to drain. All of these factors would apply to all 10th gen Civics, since that trim detail is common, so, yeah, to the extent that road grime will streak here, it will do it on all 10th gen Civics.

"Recalls", at least in the US, are for safety issues only--something that causes failure to meet the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). Sometimes they do product satisfaction campaigns or similar for cosmetic or non-safety pervasive quality/defect issues. 2016 Civics have been "in the wild" for over five years now. New discoveries of pervasive quality/defect issues get less likely over time.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
UPDATE: Dealer ship was able to identify it as a manufacturing defect so that Honda canada can deal with what they want to do. They repainted my trunk for free and fixed that area where the rust is and put a small bit of ppf to prevent rust again. FYI i was out of warranty and they still covered it for me. body shop that worked with honda said they have done a couple of these trunks before for the same issue including a black civic!

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
UPDATE: Dealer ship was able to identify it as a manufacturing defect so that Honda canada can deal with what they want to do. They repainted my trunk for free and fixed that area where the rust is and put a small bit of ppf to prevent rust again. FYI i was out of warranty and they still covered it for me. body shop that worked with honda said they have done a couple of these trunks before for the same issue including a black civic!
Nice you got them to repair it, I just noticed the rust on mine yesterday. Unfortunately, the last place I would go is the dealer. May try removing the trim and fixing it myself as it's underneath the plastic anyway. Have to wait till it warms up here.

carlos969

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm in Southern Ontario and my 16 Civic has some rust in the engine bay and under the chassis. Notably I have severe rust on the interior of the fuel lid at the bottom lip portion of the fuel lid.
Sponsored