Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
No, facts are the hobgoblin of little minds, the Truth is eternal, and this can be proven as follows:

Facts are worthless untill they are fact-checked.

Obviously, there can only be one final fact-checker, otherwise all fact-checking is useless if unauthorized individuals check facts on their own.

If there is one, it has to be the Government. This part of the government is called the Department of Truth, not the Department of Facts. This ends the proof. The Truth beats facts every time.

So forget the facts and be true to your dreams. Earth Dreams.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
No rust on my wife's 2016 Civic .
Pull that plastic trim piece back as far as you can and look up underneath it in that corner. That's where it starts. The vibration from the plastic piece when you close the trunk wears the paint away.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes but on white cars the process happens faster because of the reasons I mentioned.
Nope.

Rust simply stands out more on a white car. Just like fallout does. Go up and inspect a white cars paint and you'll see fallout(brake/rail dust) all over it. Now, go inspect a black cars paint and you pretty much won't see it. Even though you know it's there as you'll feel it. That's why you clay bar and decontaminate(with iron x and the like) all colours and not just white.

Last edited:

Vnamvet

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
No, facts are the hobgoblin of little minds, the Truth is eternal, and this can be proven as follows:

Facts are worthless untill they are fact-checked.

Obviously, there can only be one final fact-checker, otherwise all fact-checking is useless if unauthorized individuals check facts on their own.

If there is one, it has to be the Government. This part of the government is called the Department of Truth, not the Department of Facts. This ends the proof. The Truth beats facts every time.

So forget the facts and be true to your dreams. Earth Dreams.
Damn......and I thought this post was about rust.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Damn......and I thought this post was about rust.
I will be happy to explain it to you.

Yes, my posts are comments on rust and other car facts that can be found on the internet. Here are two statements made by different people:

Thread title: Most 2016 civics have trunk rust!!!
A rating website: Never rusts: Honda Civic

I believe both statements are probably true. The second one is based on an actual database of complaints on different cars.

This is what we call alternative facts. They seem to point in different directions, but you won't know the whole truth about the "Honda civic and rust" issue if you don't know them both/all. If you know just one, you will be misled. One does not exclude the other.

And you are welcome, no need to thank me. This lesson is public service, free to the people.:)

kaputt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Accord 5MT; 2020 Civic Sport Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I have a 2020 and this area of my trunk actually has a tiny sliver of what looks like the inside trunk liner that ever so slightly sticks out. I noticed it when washing the car.

Now that I’ve seen this thread, I wonder if it’s a fix for this rust issue or the reason there is a rust issue?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
From what I am seeing so far, most people with white cars are saying they have this issue. Went to grocery store and found another civic in white orchid pearl that rusted more than mine. His rust went below the spot and created a stain down to the bottom of his trunk. Another thing to note that since this spot of rust is hard to see, people with dark cars will not notice until it goes beyond that spot. I took it to a body shop and was quoted 1k plus. He said that once we fix this one spot he recommends putting a small piece of PPF to prevent the same issue from happening again. Obviously, a dealer will not do anything until there is a physical hole which is unlikely and the warranty is over for most 16 civics. what would you peeps do to prevent rust? Rustproof oil there? paint it with touch-up paint? or just wait for a recall?

kaputt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Accord 5MT; 2020 Civic Sport Coupe 6MT
Country flag
There should be a specific rust prevention warranty.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There should be a specific rust prevention warranty.
There is a surface rust warranty for 3 years. I am beyond that. Even of I were still within warranty, it is extremely hard to get a surface rust claim approved. They'll just blame it on a stone chip or a salt truck driving past or some other foreign object as the cause of the chipped paint that led to the issue.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What would you peeps do to prevent rust? Rustproof oil there? paint it with touch-up paint? or just wait for a recall?
Take the plastic trim piece off. Sand away the corrosion and just spot treat it with primer, paint and clear coat. Since it's mostly under the trim piece anyway, it won't be noticeable. $1k is ridiculous, just want to stop the spread. Doesn't need to look perfect considering the location.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Please provide instructions for removing this plastic part. If it's easy to perform I'd like to remove mine and inspect the area.