Lug Nuts - Any special parameters for aftermarket wheels (T-S5)

BAUERRX

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 MX-5 Cup Car, 2015 Tundra
Country flag
Getting ready to mount a new set of Titan7 T-S5 wheels on my new CTR. Read somewhere that you can't / shouldn't use factory lug nuts. True or bad rumor? If I get aftermarket lug nuts any advice? Conical 60 degree taper, any brands to recommend (quality) or any to avoid? Looking at the Gorilla brand M14x1.5.
Thanks for any feedback!
Eric
Sponsored

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
Yeah you need a conical seat lug nut. The factory lugs (as with all Honda factory lugs) are ball seat and are not compatible with aftermarket wheels with conical seats. The Gorilla lugs should be fine. There are plenty of more swaggy (and also more $$) options, but definitely not necessary.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Torque wrench
Lug nut torque: 94 lb-ft (127nm)

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Aftermarket wheels need aftermarket lug nuts almost 95% of the time. As previously mentioned, the lug won’t properly seat if the incorrect lug nuts are used. Also please don’t use cheap eBay lug nuts as they’re probably not manufactured and tested the same as OEM requirements.

I can’t imagine the number of cars on the road using improper lug nuts and on aftermarket wheels (this includes using aftermarket lug nuts on factory wheels). They’re risking not only themselves but others on the road.

OP
OP

BAUERRX

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 MX-5 Cup Car, 2015 Tundra
Country flag
Getting ready to mount a new set of Titan7 T-S5 wheels on my new CTR. Read somewhere that you can't / shouldn't use factory lug nuts. True or bad rumor? If I get aftermarket lug nuts any advice? Conical 60 degree taper, any brands to recommend (quality) or any to avoid? Looking at the Gorilla brand M14x1.5.
Thanks for any feedback!
Eric
Thanks for the feedback everyone! New lug nuts on order.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
A guy in my hometown had a wheel fly off his R35 on the interstate and it flipped. It had aftermarket wheels on it. I do not know any details about who put the wheels on and what lugs were used but regardless of the reason, it was a very real reminder to be thorough with equipment and torque specs. Buy a reputable product that has a proven reliability.

The gentleman has recovered now and I do not believe he has any lasting injuries. Be safe folks
Sponsored