First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The last new Honda I bought (06 CRV) I took the extended warranty, 1 year after the basic warranty expired it needed an alternator, a year after that the vsa control module went south, and 6 months before the extended warranty expired I had all the sway bar links replaced when they became noisy and creaked a lot. The warranty paid for itself almost twice over. It's still a gamble though.
Sponsored

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
What would a good price be for the 6 year 120k mile. I received a quote for 2,200. Another for 1,500. Do you think I could get a lower price if I keep asking around?

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX w/sensing, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
What would a good price be for the 6 year 120k mile. I received a quote for 2,200. Another for 1,500. Do you think I could get a lower price if I keep asking around?
Google Hyannis or Saccuci and get quotes from them. I believe they're reputed to be the cheapest around.

sidhu2909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
I got it from College Hills Honda for $1020 (8yr, 120k). That's lower than Hyannis or Saccuci and no tax if you aren't from Ohio

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Is that for honda care? Or another 3rd party company?

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
the cheapest extended warranty is likely to be the shittiest extended warranty. You should probably research them online before deciding. The cheap ones have a lot of exclusions and you probably have to take it where they tell you for service and they'll deny a lot of your claims. And they only cover certain parts. Like if your power window craps out, they'll tell you the motor isn't covered, only the other parts. IMO you're better off paying more for the Honda warranty instead of a third party one. The cheap third party warranties have, in general, a poor reputation. Endurance is said to be the best third party extended warranty. Type a search for "best auto extended warranty" There's a lot of good info from consumer reports and AAA and better business bureau.

Last edited:
OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
$936 dollar quote today from a local dealer. This is for zero deductible, 120K miles in 6 years. It is a Honda Care warranty. It is amazing how different each of the 4 quotes were. The highest was for $2,200. Another for 1,700. My third quote was for 1,330. The fourth was $936 so I went in and took it. I figure if one thing breaks it pays for itself.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
All depends how long you're keeping the car for. I was given the 7 year warranty for $1200. $14 a month is worth it for peace of mind and also think about if you want to sell you're car, cars still under warranty and would be an attractive option for someone wanting one. The engines are solid but that's not the only thing that can be costly should it go wrong. If you have something more important to spend $14 a month then don't do it.

Also what model did you get? The higher the model the more features it has that could go wrong.

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
All depends how long you're keeping the car for. I was given the 7 year warranty for $1200. $14 a month is worth it for peace of mind and also think about if you want to sell you're car, cars still under warranty and would be an attractive option for someone wanting one. The engines are solid but that's not the only thing that can be costly should it go wrong. If you have something more important to spend $14 a month then don't do it.

Also what model did you get? The higher the model the more features it has that could go wrong.
Thanks for your thoughts. You are right... it is peace of mind. I never thought about it on my 2012 but my 2012 civic didn't have the push button start, electric and heated seats or all the electronics that the new civic has. I buy apple care + on all my apple devices. I have never used it but it is worth peace of mind. I have a 2017 EX-L without the honda sensing.

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
forgot to note that thats CAD$1200. So around USD$900.
I got quotes for 2,200. 1,700 1,500 and 1,350. All dealerships near me. The final quote was $960 USD so I took it. zero deductible honda care with 120K miles or 6 years

eberrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
On our 2012 Odyssey EX-L I waited until just under 36000 miles to buy Honda Care from Saccucci for 8yr/100k miles. Easily paid for itself so far (currently 5 yrs/68k miles). Some intermittent problems with sliding doors took several attempts to fix. I can't imagine if I was paying the bill each time. Also 2 axel replacements so far.

If I read my contract correctly Honda owes me a rental car for every warranty repair. I didn't really use this yet, but will in the future.

I plan to also buy Honda Care for our new Civic. Just not sure if I should do it now (prior to 6000 miles) or in 3 years.

lilfeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2017 hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Well, it kind of comes down to your financial fluidity. If you cannot afford a major repair out of pocket, then it may be worth it for you for that reason to buy it and finance it over the loan period. Since it is insurance, Hondacare is betting far more covered vehicles will not need to use it annually than will need it. As you may know, Hondacare pays the dealer, the dealer is not the insurer. And the dealer will get near full reimbursement. Remember, the dealer also make a commission for selling it, which is why it's such an aggressive sell.
So, the amount that Hondacare gets isn't even the full cost charged to you. When I bought this car, the business manager told me he was 'obligated' to give me the entire sales pitch for my own protection, even after I told him I was uninterested. Then he cut the offer by 50%, but wouldn't only sell the dent repair service on its own. The odds are you won't need it, or more than the cost of it, or they would not be in business very long. That's why it ends at 120k miles, probably when the cost curve starts to cross over for them as more major systems start to fail. I look at it, like the lottery, most tickets are a bad investment, but if you hit a winner, it's the best money you ever spent.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
If your peace of mind is worth it to you, buy it. Sure, there's a chance you won't use it, but no car is perfect, and Honda has their fair share of problems.

When I was a service writer, one of the worse parts of the job was telling customers a part/repair wouldn't be covered under their extended warranty, to which their reply was always "But the salesman said it was bumper to bumper.".

I'm surprised there would be such a difference in prices dealers charge for Honda Care. I wonder what Honda's minimum price is.
Sponsored