I like ECON mode

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
Huh, never tried the econ mode. I had those on my CRV and Accord previously and felt like utter trash. As in, it didn't help achieve better mileage because I would just press the gas pedal harder to compensate for the disgusting lack of power and speed. As a result I never noticed any noticeable fuel economy improvements. In fact I probably got better mileage in regular mode because I know how to control my foot as long as I have enough power when I need it.

But you've all peaked my curiosity now with the Civic's econ mode and will give it a shot. The Civic is a bit jumpy so maybe the econ can smooth it out. Thanks for the tip, I'll post my findings later.
Sponsored

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've switched into Sport/sequential/S-mode/Second Gear from Drive mode while the car is moving and I think it's fine. I usually switch it while my foot is off the gas pedal.

You've posed an interesting question putting the car in S-mode while running in ECON mode. Let's both try it and see what happens. I don't think our engines will explode.

Besides slamming the car in Park or Reverse gear - I don't think our engines will explode - but the owner's manual says it can damage the transmission. SO DON'T DO IT! :D:D:D
Wait. Can you tell me what your not supposed to do? I don't feel like finding my manual. Lol. So I usually have ECO mode on. Sometimes if I'm behind someone I'll drop it to S mode and punch it past the car. Am I not supposed to do that? (Per manual) Or sometimes backing out of my driveway and then driving I find out later I'm in S mode and I'll just put it into D as I'm driving. Is this ok? (Per Manual)? As stated I'm always in ECO mode. Thanks for help.

RiViT13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Wait. Can you tell me what your not supposed to do? I don't feel like finding my manual. Lol. So I usually have ECO mode on. Sometimes if I'm behind someone I'll drop it to S mode and punch it past the car. Am I not supposed to do that? (Per manual) Or sometimes backing out of my driveway and then driving I find out later I'm in S mode and I'll just put it into D as I'm driving. Is this ok? (Per Manual)? As stated I'm always in ECO mode. Thanks for help.
I often swicth to sport to pass or just take off econ and go back to ecoon.

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I tried it out today a bit and couldn't use it for too long. It's way too hot here in Southern Ontario right now and I need the AC to run strongly. I'll try again when it isn't this suffocatingly hot.

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

There's no problem with how you're operating the gears. I was referring to trying to put the car in Reverse or Park while the cars in motion. That's a big NOPE!!!

The other part of my response was someone was asking if we could put the car in S-mode while also having ECON activated and I stated I had never done that myself. But, since you've done it and had no adverse affects then I presume it's fine which I figured it might be all along.

Thanks though for posting about you doing so. Can you give us an idea what your MPGs are when you're running ECON and S-mode at the same time?

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
I tried Econ out on a trip last weekend. Noticed very little difference in MPG and it kind of castrated the engine. Didn't like it at all, but at least it's optional, so all good, right?

I am also wondering what happens when you run Econ mode while in Sport "gear"...they seem like they should oppose each other. Shouldn't Econ have been another "gear" on the shifter instead of a separate button, so they are mutually exclusive?

Seems like a simple progression with economy/performance tradeoff: Sport > Drive > Econ

Last edited:

RiViT13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I tried Econ out on a trip last weekend. Noticed very little difference in MPG and it kind of castrated the engine. Didn't like it at all, but at least it's optional, so all good, right?

I am also wondering what happens when you run Econ mode while in Sport "gear"...they seem like they should oppose each other. Shouldn't Econ have been another "gear" on the shifter instead of a separate button, so they are mutually exclusive?

Seems like a simple progression with economy/performance tradeoff: Sport > Drive > Econ
What has milage did you get on your trip?

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Besides slamming the car in Park or Reverse gear - I don't think our engines will explode - but the owner's manual says it can damage the transmission. SO DON'T DO IT! :D:D:D
This is what I thought you were saying. It seems as though you are saying that driving in S mode with Eco on is not recommended as per owners manual. Oh and I only occasionally use the S mode so I can't tell you the mpg. Sorry but Eco and D mode at least 32/33 mpg avg for me. That is since I had the car 5,000 miles ago. And not everyone drives in the same conditions and how they accelerate as well. It really can be a big difference.

RiViT13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
This is what I thought you were saying. It seems as though you are saying that driving in S mode with Eco on is not recommended as per owners manual. Oh and I only occasionally use the S mode so I can't tell you the mpg. Sorry but Eco and D mode at least 32/33 mpg avg for me. That is since I had the car 5,000 miles ago. And not everyone drives in the same conditions and how they accelerate as well. It really can be a big difference.
Good to know you get 32 in drive mode.

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
I don't use econ mode because I want to get used to the engine's throttle response and CVT behavior. If I am switching modes back and forth I feel like it will be harder to make this connection. A person can get a similar result to ECON just by the way you drive. Take a note of the mpg in my Fuelly signature. This is a combination of weekend road trips and a fairly long commute in busy/freeway/construction traffic.

obviously another way to go would be to leave ECON mode on all the time. Maybe this should have been a deeper setting in the menu, but then the marketing team wouldn't have their button to show off ; )

I have switched to econ on the odd occasion to mute the sound of the HVAC fan.

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
I posted in the 50 mpg thread a few days ago my history. Overall I'm a mid to high 40s average on a tank. I have had three tanks that were over 50 mpg (car readings) with 534 miles at fill up. I always drive with Eco mode on. In Indiana we have few perfect days so I'm either running the ac or driving with the windows down. I also prefer the overall feel of Eco. Much smoother than without. Like a previous poster stated, I simply shift to sport while passing or pulling out from a stop. Then shift back. Seems to work great for me. I do think that everything the Eco does can be accomplished by watching your foot technique. But the Eco seems to pair well with the adaptive cruise. I noticed that commutes at 45 to 55 mpg Eco and cruise gets better mpg than I can. It kind of frustrates me that I can't break its top mpg at this range. On my next fill up I will try out sport in Eco vs without Eco. It should be interesting.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
What has milage did you get on your trip?
I got 32.3 in Econ mode. Pretty much the same trip in Drive I got about 31.5. I'd estimate about 65%-35% hwy-cty. So for me not enough difference in MPG to justify the muted throttle response and limits on AC. I did use the adaptive CC on the highway portion of both trips (~72 mph mostly).

dannys1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Country flag
I agree. in lots of smaller cars these different drive settings don't make much difference. WOW NOT EXT or TOURING. Its like a different car in each driving mode and most cars econ mode is wimpy. The Civic seems perfect, just enough control the jumpy starts and a smoother running engine. I went a gas tank on econ and hit 32.4 MPG easily without even trying especially when you get a little high time. LOVE SPORT MODE with the engine breaking it feels like your driving a standard when you let off the gas. Another feature I love is the BREAK HOLD awesome for long lights and stays in break hold mode every time you hold the break for 2 seconds until you turn it off or shut off the car.
yeah this feature is amazing i love it ! do you know some other let's say ''premium'' car that have this feature ?

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another reason to like ECON mode: To aid in limiting slip in wet road conditions. Since the throttle is dialed back to be less aggressive, I've noticed that I had no issues at all taking off from stoplights in the rain today. At first, I had the car in normal Drive and when I went to pull out of my neighborhood my tires slipped and my traction control came on to help control the slippage. Easy to say I'm disappointed in the Firestone tires. But when I then switched on ECON mode I was at a stoplight on an incline. Light turns green and I step on the gas this time I had no slip at all. So it's almost like in the old days when you could set 2nd gear in a car for limited slip in inclement weather. Very similar except I don't have to change gears or switch out of it or anything. Just drive.