Honda protection plans -- which are worth it??

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So I just put a deposit down on a 2019 Civic Si Sedan. Going to get it in a few weeks, so stoked!

Anyway, of course nothing is just MSRP anymore, right? Not just talking about taxes, licensing and insurance... but now there are certain protection plans to consider!

Financial services went through a few plans with me that I am considering (some more than others), and considering I am purchasing this car for the long haul with the potential for some modifications down the road, I was wondering which things are worth having Honda do versus others, and how much you save by choosing these plans as opposed to not?

Here were the four that I wrote down:

Internal replacement/repair services: 7 years or 80,000 miles - $2230 w/ $100 deductible

The default free amount that comes with the car is 3 years or 36,000 miles, and I am a <10k/yr driver. She said this is one that most people get because even modifications don't void warranty for certain items in the car as long as it's not directly affecting that.

So for example, I can venture a guess that within the first few years I am looking at getting new headlights (whole new housing unit), a new sound system, a new clutch and perhaps a KTuner. I can always reflash, the sound system should only affect sound wiring, etc. I don't know of what other kinds of things would go awry over the course of that time, but I was wondering about the popularity of this one.

GPS tracker - $889 for 3 years + $59/yr afterward (+tax)

I don't know if the Si is something that is considered a hot-button and stealable item, but I've always wanted something like this. I don't know if there are cheaper/better alternatives, but this cost doesn't seem so high. It also just doesn't seem like it will happen to me, but of course it probably happens to everyone who doesn't do anything about it either. I'm very open to suggestions on how to go about this route as far as protection is concerned.

Interior/exterior sealant - $858 (+tax) for 7 years

So I'm probably going to get ceramic coating on this guy anyway, but this seems pretty cheap plus has full warranty coverage from Honda themselves in case things still go bad. I like the idea of this one but again also have a fallback plan to go on, (though mine wouldn't cover the interior).

Maintenance plan - 5 years/75,000 miles - $1295

Since I can't trust any oil changer in town that I've been to, I'm kind of interested in this one... but I feel like most of the other maintenance services would be done elsewhere especially if I get new tires and such, plus I don't know what they charge regularly for oil change services otherwise. I feel like I could snag a better deal than this, and this is only for certain Honda dealerships and not all of them.

Testimonials and recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
I honestly dont feel that extended warrantys are worth it. I had to add Hondacare for $500 to close the deal on my hatchback. It's nice to have peace of mind if anything ever happens but most likely nothing wrong will happen because these vehicles are so new. The only type of warranty I recommend is replacements for your tires. You never know when you might run over a nail. My wife has a 2016 ext and she has had to different times where she had a bolt lodged in a spot of the tire that was not patch able. I took it to honda and they installed a new tire because of the warranty we purchaed.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
you may consider Honda Care for extended warranty but not at that price. your plann offered can be purchased at 700-800$ max.

Everything else is junk.

1. GPS trackers is useless and always easily deactivated at the time the car is stolen. FORGET about it
2. Sealant they offer is an absolute useless junk (ask me how I know) so don't even think of going for it. even for free. it still is useless junk
3. The cost of basic maintenance (which it is what they offer), if you do 5k mi OCI will be roughly 400$ if you DIY. Then another 50$ for transmission fluid once (or a 100-120$ if you do it twice). Then perhaps a brake fluid flush which is around 15$. Do the rest of the math yourself.

With all that said, get yourself a car BELOW MSRP and DO NOT BUY any additional crap dealer offers. Again, ask me how I know it.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay, I'll bite... how do you know it?

Also, how can I reduce the price of the extended warranty?

Thanks for the heads up.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Okay, I'll bite... how do you know it?

Also, how can I reduce the price of the extended warranty?

Thanks for the heads up.
I've got into this bullshit myself being a first time new car buyer in US. Some of it I was able to get out of, some - wasn't a had to pay. No fun, trust me.

Google Hyannis, College Hills Honda and Saccucci Honda. THey all offer Honda Care plans (official Honda extended warranty) at it's actual price with no dealer mark ups. I've purchased one for my pilot and used it several times, so they work. Still debating whether I'm gonna get one for civic though.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've got into this bullshit myself being a first time new car buyer in US. Some of it I was able to get out of, some - wasn't a had to pay. No fun, trust me.

Google Hyannis, College Hills Honda and Saccucci Honda. THey all offer Honda Care plans (official Honda extended warranty) at it's actual price with no dealer mark ups. I've purchased one for my pilot and used it several times, so they work. Still debating whether I'm gonna get one for civic though.
Thanks. Did you purchase it before or after you got your car? It looks like you might be able to purchase it before your new car hits 6,000 miles.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Thanks. Did you purchase it before or after you got your car? It looks like you might be able to purchase it before your new car hits 6,000 miles.
You can get it before you factory warranty expires, which is 36K. The only difference it will be slightly more expensive, around 50-70$ more. I am 25k right now so still have some time to think

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess because of all the crap Honda put me through buying back my lemon, they gave me a 7 year/1000,000 mile ,zero deductible Honda care plan for free.
But they offered me several plans for stuff, a few of which sounded good, but not worth what they wanted. So , after refusing them there times, they finally came down to a great price, 8.00 extra dollars a month,lol
For that, I got a plan that will replace my remotes if I loose them, and even get me in my house if I get locked out, it's called key care. Plus , I got a roadvantage plan, that covers any fixable chips or anything to the windshield, covers any dents or dings from idiots in parking lots, and covers any wheel and tire damage. I figured that was worth 8.00 a month, and any doubts I had were put to rest the first week I had the car when a rock flew up and hit the windshield putting a nice knick in it :(

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
you may consider Honda Care for extended warranty but not at that price. your plann offered can be purchased at 700-800$ max.

Everything else is junk.

1. GPS trackers is useless and always easily deactivated at the time the car is stolen. FORGET about it
100% Agree. OBD2 GPS units are going to be the 1st thing removed from your car by ANY thief with any "common sense"
If you want a GPS tracker for if the car gets stolen, get one yourself - install it yourself, and get one that is 100% self contained battery with AT LEAST 1 year (you can get 5 year) battery life, and HIDE is somewhere good... somewhere where it takes you a good 30 minute to hide it = somewhere it wont be found quickly (or at all).
This is your "Car got stolen GPS" .. if you want a tracker to general day to day logging of trips, then an OBD2 one is fine... BUT get it yourself.. no need for a dealer markup on a unit that is not the one you really want.

2. Sealant they offer is an absolute useless junk (ask me how I know) so don't even think of going for it. even for free. it still is useless junk
100% Agree . Dealer Sealer is worse than useless - and gets in the way for applying a good sealer - but if you live in an area where they salt the roads in winter then, a GOOD sealer can make your car last a lot longer--- if you plan to keep it a LONG time.
Example: Maryland .. Got a good Under Seal on a new 1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon, and it is still rust free. Just about every other Maxima Wagon of that year has rusted out years ago, and they are now very rare.

3. The cost of basic maintenance (which it is what they offer), if you do 5k mi OCI will be roughly 400$ if you DIY. Then another 50$ for transmission fluid once (or a 100-120$ if you do it twice). Then perhaps a brake fluid flush which is around 15$. Do the rest of the math yourself.
Again, 100% Agree. Not only is far cheaper NOT to have the Dealer do it, but you can be sure it is done right if you do it yourself, or have a trusted Mechanic do it,, someone who will allow you to actually see them do the work, and not take it hidden round the back somewhere, while they seduce you with free coffee in the waiting room.

With all that said, get yourself a car BELOW MSRP and DO NOT BUY any additional crap dealer offers. Again, ask me how I know it.

Hope this helps

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Remember, the dealer isn't offering these plans so they can LOSE money... they offer them to take your money. For the same $25-100/mo or whatever they charge, you can learn to save that amount each month and build up a "maintenance" budget of your own. If you need it, great, you've saved for it. If you don't need it? then enjoy having the money in your pocket!

In the end, you need to consider your own aversion to risk/cost to determine if any of the plans are worth it. Every new car built today should last at least 10 years/100,000 miles requiring just common maintenance.

*I decided that they were not worth it when i bought my Si. Of course, about 3 weeks later I was out $200 for a new tire since, as mentioned above, I ran over a nail and it couldn't be repaired.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The plan they offered me for tracking the car if it was stolen ,had something embedded in the glass ,anyone ever hear of that? It was way to much for me to consider it though.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
The plan they offered me for tracking the car if it was stolen ,had something embedded in the glass ,anyone ever hear of that? It was way to much for me to consider it though.
The only thing that I know a dealer will offer (Push) is locate a stolen car is LoJack.
And they will of course mark that up as well .. far to buy it direct from Lojack Yourself if that is what you want.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Remember, the dealer isn't offering these plans so they can LOSE money... they offer them to take your money..
I have always considered that a Car dealer does not sell new cars to make a profit .. they sell new cars to support a feed to their service department.. which is where their REAL money is made. That and all the addon "STUFF" their Finance Person want you to add to the car when you purchase it .. the over-inflated costs of the accessories they may have already fitted, and the "service" plans that take your money up front, and lock you into their service department.

Yes, and of course they sell USED/Traded in cars to make an Obscene profit !!!

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I've heard of services etching your glass with your VIN so its traceable after the fact (ie, if the vehicle is recovered) vs being a proactive chip that could be tracked while the vehicle is stolen.

So.. just for fun I was adding up the options available to the OP

+ 889
+858
+1295
------------
$5272

Civic Si is $25K, + 5K in optional plans would mean you bought a $30K Si?

Over 5K in plans available (and I imagine there are others out there that were not shared).. now, if you are paying over 48 months... $5272/48
= $109.83/mo so of course the finance guy makes it seem palatable

Now lets say the dealer is a high volume place.. they sell 1car/day.. 30/month... So, if everyone bought all the plans:

$5272/car x 30 cars/mo = $158,160/mo... x12 months = $1,897,920/year to the dealerships bottom line. Sounds like a pretty significant sales boost for not much return.

In the end, how many people actually keep a car long enough to benefit? 2 years from now its "oops, need a truck cause I changed jobs".. or "oops,, really want that CTR" or whatever the next shiny thing is. That's $5K you never see back in your pocket.

That's why I would encourage paying yourself that $100 mo for a maintenance fund.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
If you do plan on keeping the car for a long time, like 5yrs +, then a HondaCare would be a good thing since nowadays there are so many things that can go wrong with a car - all the sensors and electronic stuffs. For example, the Infotainment is already 1K + there.

The other plans are not that necessary IMO.

If you do consider HondaCare, call up Hyannis Honda and talk to Shawn. They have the best rate there. :thumbsup:
Sponsored