Mr_strouse

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic hatchback EX 2020
Country flag
Hi there, I’m sure this question has came up multiple times. I have a Honda Civic hatchback ex 2020 and I want to upgrade the sound system. Can someone who has this car and done this set up recommend me some options?

im not trying to go all out, I just want a step up from factory sound+ bass

I’m assuming I’ll need to add an amp-

where should I place it? Under the seat?

also- I want a sub with box but one that’s small and conserves space. (Lile

I plan on doing this install myself
Sponsored

SupraGuy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Turbo
Country flag
I'm looking at a very similar question.

So far I've found a lot of conflicting info, but what I can find...

There is a provision for a factory sub in the right rear of the car, and if you can find one, looks like that's "easy mode" but I haven't seen any aftermarket options for it.

There are many choices for subwoofers out there, you're kind of on your own. I have a shortlist for the ones I am looking at, where my budget meets the quality I want, but what's available to you and your budget are going to be different.

Amplifier mounting choices depend on the topology of the amplifier, power dissipation and how hard you intend to use it. A class D amplifier generates little heat for the power rating, whereas a class A amplifier can double as a seat warmer. Under the seat is generally good as it has reasonable airflow and as a bonus a shorter power cable run from under the hood. It's not such a great choice if your back seat gets used by kids with muddy boots.

Under the false floor in the hatch is a nice out of the way spot, reasonably safe, but little airflow for cooling, and a little limited for size. A modest class D amplifier could live there and do the job fine.

Many people will mount an amp on the side of the subwoofer box itself, and a popular option for powered subs is to use the port on the subwoofer enclosure as a part of the amplifier's heat management. Not a bad strategy for a removable box.

The next thing to consider is signal source. You can probably tap into the rear door speaker wires, and either use a line out converter or use a high level input on your amplifier. Speaker wires can be accessed in the B pillar between the front and rear doors.

I have seen several threads asking similar questions without answers, not sure that my thread will be any different. 😞

So the questions for you that you need to answer:

How much room are you willing to give up?

What kind of budget do you have for the project?

What kind of skills do you have for the install?

tl;dr:

You might find it satisfactory and easy to just buy something like this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646HS10/Kicker-46HS10.html

Last edited: