Homeless guy had fun keying my civic, best options?

dennispad21

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I was at a coffee shop and noticed my car was severely scratched when I got back to my car. Coffee shop owner noticed that a homeless guy also scratched two other cars. Filled a police report and the police are looking for the guy (due to his homeless situation, I don't think its worth the trouble taking him to small claims). Whats my best option to getting these fixed? They don't look like deep scratches.

Honda Civic 10th gen Homeless guy had fun keying my civic, best options? 8ADAD010-6F9B-4DF2-8147-0D0A7FE5F2E0.JPG
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
insurance

if you can feel it with your finger nail. you either need to repaint the doors or use touch up paint

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would file a claim with the insurance. Nothing you can really do right now especially if other cars were keyed as well. This happened to my sister but in her neighborhood when a kid was going around keying cars. She got the trunk keyed.

I don't see the insurance giving you any issues about this.

OP
OP

dennispad21

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I would file a claim with the insurance. Nothing you can really do right now especially if other cars were keyed as well. This happened to my sister but in her neighborhood when a kid was going around keying cars. She got the trunk keyed.

I don't see the insurance giving you any issues about this.
I am getting a quote today from a local shop (what my local Honda dealership uses for cosmetic repairs). Comprehensive coverage deductible is $500 so I'll see if it is worth the trouble. Thanks!

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
My 13 Ford Escape got keyed. The color is Ginger Ale, a metallic paint. Those are really really tough, because the flakes in the paint never lay the same which is why it looks lighter or darker when touching up. Anyway, I did mine and it came out pretty friggin good.

First I masked off right up to the edge of the scratch. I mean RIGHT up to the edge. I had a matching spray can of paint from paintscratch sprayed the color on it. Just one or two passes, almost enough to "fill" in the scratch. Let dry a day.

Then you take a spray can of top coat. Peel back the edge of the masking tape about 1/16 of an inch. The reason for peeling up the tape is you don't want a hard edge of topcoat. Spray a few coats until it is just proud of the surrounding surface. Let dry a day.

Sand with wet 3000. Then compound and polish.

I did all of this myself. But I have a background in working with my hands and I know how to approach these steps. It's tough if your going in never having done this, or don't have the equipment.

Or you can respray the whole door.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I am getting a quote today from a local shop (what my local Honda dealership uses for cosmetic repairs). Comprehensive coverage deductible is $500 so I'll see if it is worth the trouble. Thanks!
its going to cost over $2000 to repaint both doors

Bu66a

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T Sedan
Country flag
I used to work insurance. A good thing to do is to keep you're comp deductible at 50-100. What drives you're rates up is the collision and liability. I keep my collision at $1000. Also when rate starts are bumped due to accident or tickets, it doesn't affect comp much. Do some quoting and see or yourself!