Paint Chip Rusting, What are my options?

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone looks like a paint chip had started rusting. What should I do with this, what choices do I have?
Thanks
Honda Civic 10th gen Paint Chip Rusting, What are my options? 20200908_185351
Sponsored

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unfortunately you got to this a bit too late.. you COULD use touchup paint on it, however that will do 2 things, it will cover it up and make it look better, and 2, it will slow down the rust corrossion of your body panel. it will NOT however stop the rust from spreading underneath your panel and eventually showing its ugly head by making the paint above it bubble and mess up in a few years.

OP
OP
JackOfAllBlades

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So touch up for a while was what I was thinking. Depending on how 11th gen is I was already thinking of possibly trading to that. Thanks for the input . :thumbsup:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So touch up for a while was what I was thinking. Depending on how 11th gen is I was already thinking of possibly trading to that. Thanks for the input . :thumbsup:
Use the abrasive tip to scrub the heck out of the scratched spot. A few thin coats of the paint to fill. I think you’ll be fine and it’ll look ok. I don’t wash the van more than maybe 4 times a year I’ve touched up plenty of spots that are as bad or worse. I don’t bother with sanding or trying to make perfect, but I’ve never had anything come back through and it blends well. If you look close you might see a hundred little odd spots in the paint on the hood, fascia and side mirrors but at a glance it looks fine.

Make sure you shake the pen for a long time (a minute or two) and when you think you’ve shook it enough... shake it a little more. All the little flecks of random colors in those Honda paint pens for paint like yours separate and they’ll look flat and off unless you give it some serious shaking.

OP
OP
JackOfAllBlades

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Use the abrasive tip to scrub the heck out of the scratched spot. A few thin coats of the paint to fill. I think you’ll be fine and it’ll look ok. I don’t wash the van more than maybe 4 times a year I’ve touched up plenty of spots that are as bad or worse. I don’t bother with sanding or trying to make perfect, but I’ve never had anything come back through and it blends well. If you look close you might see a hundred little odd spots in the paint on the hood, fascia and side mirrors but at a glance it looks fine.

Make sure you shake the pen for a long time (a minute or two) and when you think you’ve shook it enough... shake it a little more. All the little flecks of random colors in those Honda paint pens for paint like yours separate and they’ll look flat and off unless you give it some serious shaking.
Will be trying it.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
as with all paint projects, thinner the layers, the better, let it build up layer by layer and itll eventually fill in the gap. dont try to fill it up with one application

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Scrape the rust clean down to bare metal, like with the pointed tip of a razor blade or exacto knife. Then apply touch up paint in thin coats until it's level with the paint. If you really want to blend it you can then wetsand it and polish the section, but you can get a pretty decent result just with the paint.
Sponsored