ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've noticed that when braking at higher speed with spirited driving, the rear end feels loose.
Is there something that can be done about it? I do have the adaptive dampers and forgot to turn it on Sport, maybe it would be better at the stiffer setting?
Sponsored

Last edited:

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
which "end"?

and always start with simple checks - tires, wheels, alignment

OP
OP
ikbenben

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry, edited the post. I mean the rear end.

For the answer on your reply...the car is 3 months old and has 2500km on it, so everything is propably as it should be.

On the Type R they solved this problem with the trunk spoiler and added downforce that way.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
a car can have 5 miles on it and still have a bad alignment. There have already been a few who posted here about it (myself included)

Check tires, wheel balance, alignment. Otherwise, the "loose" feeling is just what it's setup to do.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
I had this issue a few months ago when one of my rear tires had a nail in it. It didn't look flat, but the TPMS tripped several times. I had to air it up every other week until I finally had it patched at a tire shop. Since then, I haven't had any issues with it feeling squirly in the rear.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
My new Civic felt loose right from the beginning. I had an alignment done and the rear toe was out. This made a huge difference. Along with adding the progress rear sway bar, it now feels composed at all speeds.

OP
OP
ikbenben

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To me it looks like there isn't enough downforce or weight on the rear end. It only happens with hard braking at high speed. It's not that the car is unstable when driving.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
To me it looks like there isn't enough downforce or weight on the rear end. It only happens with hard braking at high speed. It's not that the car is unstable when driving.
I think you just want a big wing. ;)

OP
OP
ikbenben

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
I've noticed that when braking at higher speed with spirited driving, the rear end feels loose.
Is there something that can be done about it? I do have the adaptive dampers and forgot to turn it on Sport, maybe it would be better at the stiffer setting?
Sway bar.... all.day.long

Hatchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ram 1500, 17 Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag
This sounds exactly like a rear toe problem. I've had a car with very similar suspension on way too many spring/shock/sway bar setups and alignments. It can be sketchy or predictable with big sway bars or the same with no rear sway bar at all. Get the alignment right.

Your tires will probably last longer as a bonus.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
This sounds exactly like a rear toe problem. I've had a car with very similar suspension on way too many spring/shock/sway bar setups and alignments. It can be sketchy or predictable with big sway bars or the same with no rear sway bar at all. Get the alignment right.

Would it be possible for the toe to change when the rear suspension extends? Think it might extend under braking and the weight pitches forward?

OP
OP
ikbenben

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'll have it checked. Still I find it weird that it wouldn't be correct from the factory.

Hatchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ram 1500, 17 Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag
Would it be possible for the toe to change when the rear suspension extends? Think it might extend under braking and the weight pitches forward?
Yep. They sure do. That's part of why it's so important to start in the right place at normal ride height. The rear lower control arm, camber arm, and toe arm are all different lengths, so they don't stay parallel during suspension travel. It's a neat design that makes the car much more controllable at the limit or during emergency maneuvers. The funny thing is we lessen that effect when we install stiffer springs and sway bars, because the suspension travels less. Either way, you have to have the toe right, because you still transfer weight when braking or cornering.
Sponsored