Hatchback Bumper Repair, help!!!

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Hi guys, I recently damaged my rear bumper on my 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport and the bumper cover cracked a little and the paint scraped. All the plastic garnishes and diffuser got damaged as well. I went to a couple of auto shops and they quoted me for $1600 for a repair, a lot of that is because I have the white pearl color. To be completely honest tho, the scrape is barely noticeable and not worth $800 worth of paint and labor to do for something no one will see, and i dont have $1600 to spend. I was wondering if someone could take a look at the pics i attach and tell me if I could just use some JB weld plastic or something of the sort to fix it, the crack is really minimal. Additionally, i plan on buying the garnishes but if anyone knows of any good kits/type r conversions for the garnishes or diffuser for under 200 that would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)
Honda Civic 10th gen Hatchback Bumper Repair, help!!! DD2671C8-29CE-44C8-8AEF-F0BABD3E8700
Honda Civic 10th gen Hatchback Bumper Repair, help!!! ABA515C1-836C-46D4-B610-29E707B6D558
Honda Civic 10th gen Hatchback Bumper Repair, help!!! 13062281-CC94-4E27-A2AE-E3ECAB0DBC74

Pbergmann

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sedan EX-L
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about it. More than likely they'll be more and just say it adds character.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
The sport lip is on back order and it has increased in price by at least 1.5x. You’re not going to find it for $70 any more…especially a 2020+ one.

bansheeback

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Honda sells OEM touch up paint to fix the minor scratches, but as far as the bumper goes, I wouldn't think it's worth it to replace the entire thing.

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R Sonic Pearl Grey R-43285
Country flag
Hi guys, I recently damaged my rear bumper on my 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport and the bumper cover cracked a little and the paint scraped. All the plastic garnishes and diffuser got damaged as well. I went to a couple of auto shops and they quoted me for $1600 for a repair, a lot of that is because I have the white pearl color. To be completely honest tho, the scrape is barely noticeable and not worth $800 worth of paint and labor to do for something no one will see, and i dont have $1600 to spend. I was wondering if someone could take a look at the pics i attach and tell me if I could just use some JB weld plastic or something of the sort to fix it, the crack is really minimal. Additionally, i plan on buying the garnishes but if anyone knows of any good kits/type r conversions for the garnishes or diffuser for under 200 that would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)
DD2671C8-29CE-44C8-8AEF-F0BABD3E8700.jpeg
ABA515C1-836C-46D4-B610-29E707B6D558.jpeg
13062281-CC94-4E27-A2AE-E3ECAB0DBC74.jpeg
JB Weld the bumper. Take it off Weld it inside, have someone push it in but not hard and make it flush as possible. You're just having them close the crack gap for you basically. You'll see the crack still but once it dries it's gonna be fine because you're gonna sand that area down. Try not get to get jb weld outside the crack. JB Weld inside so you only see the crack line outside. Get some touch up paint. Sand the area down 1000, 1200, 1500 then touch up paint it let it dry, put the clear coat from touch up paint from Honda on. After that wet sand 1000, 1200, then 1500 til smooth. Polish it meguiars is fine. Make sure it's polish and it says 1200 and up, and it'll look perfect.

Diffuser wise just get a new one or junk yard 2020's and make sure none of them are rear end damage (obviously) Or check ebay.

Also why start a new thread that's the same exact thing? Should've just updated it.

OP
OP
syedbutnotsyed
First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
JB Weld the bumper. Take it off Weld it inside, have someone push it in but not hard and make it flush as possible. You're just having them close the crack gap for you basically. You'll see the crack still but once it dries it's gonna be fine because you're gonna sand that area down. Try not get to get jb weld outside the crack. JB Weld inside so you only see the crack line outside. Get some touch up paint. Sand the area down 1000, 1200, 1500 then touch up paint it let it dry, put the clear coat from touch up paint from Honda on. After that wet sand 1000, 1200, then 1500 til smooth. Polish it meguiars is fine. Make sure it's polish and it says 1200 and up, and it'll look perfect.

Diffuser wise just get a new one or junk yard 2020's and make sure none of them are rear end damage (obviously) Or check ebay.

Also why start a new thread that's the same exact thing? Should've just updated it.
Thanks so much! I made a new one cause the other one was mainly about body kits or bumper kits and im new on here so i didnt know i could update it

OP
OP
syedbutnotsyed
First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Honda sells OEM touch up paint to fix the minor scratches, but as far as the bumper goes, I wouldn't think it's worth it to replace the entire thing.
what about the diffuser and garnishes?

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what about the diffuser and garnishes?
Thanks so much! I made a new one cause the other one was mainly about body kits or bumper kits and im new on here so i didnt know i could update it
No worries, Welcome to the forums!
For garnish/diffuser I think the CBP touch up paint will be close, but because it's plastic shine and gloss might not be perfect. Best bet is to just replace them. .

OP
OP
syedbutnotsyed
First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
No worries, Welcome to the forums!
For garnish/diffuser I think the CBP touch up paint will be close, but because it's plastic shine and gloss might not be perfect. Best bet is to just replace them. .
I bought a new diffuser off ebay and i just realized it doesnt come painted. Do you have any idea how I can get that glossy black finish? Would wrapping it work or be cheaper?

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bought a new diffuser off ebay and i just realized it doesnt come painted. Do you have any idea how I can get that glossy black finish? Would wrapping it work or be cheaper?
So, you can either 1 vinyl wrap if you're good/ decent at it. If you go this route, heat gun, vinyl wrap squeegee, and knifeless tape + blades for fresh sharp edges. Two spray paint it black then add the clear coat it with 1k or 2k clear coat. Maybe just like rust olem stuff would work. You'll have to polish it though if you want it to be like not as hazy. That'll make it kinda glossy, but more like black paint on cars.

edit: did you get your bumper fixed up?

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The diffuser isn't painted I believe, just shiny black plastic. Unless it's an aftermarket replica. I could be wrong but I've never seen an unpainted (not gloss black) OEM diffuser.

OP
OP
syedbutnotsyed
First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
So, you can either 1 vinyl wrap if you're good/ decent at it. If you go this route, heat gun, vinyl wrap squeegee, and knifeless tape + blades for fresh sharp edges. Two spray paint it black then add the clear coat it with 1k or 2k clear coat. Maybe just like rust olem stuff would work. You'll have to polish it though if you want it to be like not as hazy. That'll make it kinda glossy, but more like black paint on cars.

edit: did you get your bumper fixed up?
thanks! and not yet, i’m trying to get all the pieces i need and plan it out before i take off the bumper and get to working on it, i’ll probably do it after this week

OP
OP
syedbutnotsyed
First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
The diffuser isn't painted I believe, just shiny black plastic. Unless it's an aftermarket replica. I could be wrong but I've never seen an unpainted (not gloss black) OEM diffuser.
it comes unfinished as a matte black typa deal, it would be fine if the plastic on the vents wasn’t shiny

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
So I'm learning paint and body work all on my own.... fun stuff
I'd used a bumper repair patch... something like that. Sand around the bondo and prob like 1/4 in of paint around it. Tape it off, cover everything you don't want to get sprayed, put down some fill and sand primer, use color matched aerosol spray can - sand that with like 1500 grit, spray clear coat - prob have to do a few passes with the primer, base color and clear coat - wet sand with 2000 grit then 3000 (and if you're crazy then use 5000 grit)
Finish with a polishing compound. Shouldn't be too noticeable

But again, I'm no expert on this. Just literally figuring this out as I fix my own car
Sponsored