Has anyone known a Type R to be stolen?

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you could put in a kill switch to the fuel pump if you're worried about theft tbh
Sponsored

kevthebean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic Grey Pearl
Country flag
Would be curious how they stole it. I would think your average street thug wouldn't have the tools or codes to hack the ignition. Towed it off maybe? But then gotta have legit cash to buy tow bed trucks... any idea how they stole it?
I believe he said that he left the car running and went into the store. next thing you know, gone.

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
I live in an inner city gentrified neighborhood where we've got $400K-$500K homes right alongside 70/80-year-old homes whose main value is basically the land itself. There are a hell of a lot of poor people in the neighborhood who are the nicest people I've ever met, and there are some asshole rich people here, too. It comes with the territory. There are also some sketchy zones, like the drug corner at the end of my block (that I honor and respect by never reporting and effectively staying out of the game in any way).

I recognize my situation is a bit unique, and I do what I can because I'm a vigilant mofo in deterring thieves from my baby. I have wheel locks, and I keep the key in my messenger bag at all times (the bag is always with me when I drive and not in the car otherwise as my wife does not drive my vehicle). When my wife's car isn't parked behind mine in our super steep driveway (another awesome deterrent that wasn't planned but works well), I keep my keys in a Faraday pouch. I also keep a knock-off club on my steering wheel for safe measure, and lastly I have a dedicated camera system watching the vehicle closely at all times from my home.

But no, I'm not worried! :cool:

sriracha

First Name
Dubya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000
Country flag
Hey dudes - my car got stolen a few weeks back. Parked at a train station and cops have video of the theft. T'was a 2019 and my heart still breaks everyday. Video showed the theft - no window smashing but they were able to get into the car, start it, and drive off.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Conclusion? I'm not buying a faraday pouch yet.
A faraday pouch is like ÂŁ10, just keep your keys in it overnight, blocky copy cat signals. Question is Why wouldn't you??

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Hey dudes - my car got stolen a few weeks back. Parked at a train station and cops have video of the theft. T'was a 2019 and my heart still breaks everyday. Video showed the theft - no window smashing but they were able to get into the car, start it, and drive off.
Interesting, means it wasn't a relay attack unless you work at the train station near the car or the fob was stored near the car (like valet or something). Inside job by a dealer?

Sucks to hear though.

omgswift

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R, C300
Country flag
I think I saw this post on the Toronto Type R forums. My coworker also told me u came in to look at another SGP that we had in stock at our dealer. Now I keep my type R secured with a steering wheel lock and gps tracked. Not foolproof but it gives me a piece of mind. I'll also never park at a go station anymore. Hopefully they catch the crook.

sriracha

First Name
Dubya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000
Country flag
I think I saw this post on the Toronto Type R forums. My coworker also told me u came in to look at another SGP that we had in stock at our dealer. Now I keep my type R secured with a steering wheel lock and gps tracked. Not foolproof but it gives me a piece of mind. I'll also never park at a go station anymore. Hopefully they catch the crook.
thanks dude - yeah that was probably me. all good, it's over now - i'll see you guys in 2020. :)

sriracha

First Name
Dubya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000
Country flag
Interesting, means it wasn't a relay attack unless you work at the train station near the car or the fob was stored near the car (like valet or something). Inside job by a dealer?

Sucks to hear though.
I really hope not - but I have a feeling it was a relay attack. hope it wasn't the dealer forreal.
Sponsored