Got a wind whistle gremlin

Bowsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Sport
Country flag
I found several threads about wind noise, and indeed similar symptoms to what I experience.
But none brought full closure, so I hope this thread can help resolve my issue and also be a useful reference to other folks in future.

Looking for some ideas to tackle an annoying wind whistle.

Recent new owner of a lovely Civic X Sport, 2017. (Hatchback, made in Swindon UK)
The only problem is a high whistle that kicks in around 120km/hr+. Above 150 its really loud.
It sound seems to originate on the A frame just above the side mirror area on the passenger side (EU). Right above the small interior speaker.
I noticed it on the test drive and figured I could systematically figure it out, but I am running out of ideas.

Here is what I have tried so far:
  • Tape up the areas all around the passenger side (around wing mirror, trim, door, windscreen)
  • Added foam tape to the edges around door and chassis.
  • Leak finding test using internal smoke tester --> Seemed to lose some smoke around the wing mirror (I thought I found the smoking gun here)
  • Remove wing mirror, tighten up the 3 mounting screws and added silicon around the mounting area (Smoke test now ok)
  • Taped up small joins/gaps/edges in the mirror itself
  • Carefully added black silicon around the outside trim areas around the mirror mount.
  • Increased area of sealing tape (basically full semi circle around the windscreen, further down the door)
  • Added 'creping crack cure' around the edge of the windscreen
  • Added extra 'D shape' rubber seal to edge along top of door and roof
Other observations:
  • Im quite sure its not the turbo or AC as the noise is audible at the edge of interiour trim and window, dependence is only on speed and wind direction, not throttle or anything else.
  • The rubber seals around the door and windows are all flush in situ and have no obvious damage.
  • The orientation and fit of the door to body appears to be well aligned (flush with no obvious tilts or gaps)
  • The direction of the wind does change the tone/pitch of the whistle.
  • Folding in the mirrors while driving does not have any discernable difference to the whistle.
  • The sound does not appear to be coming from the airco grating. When inside the sound can be fully muffled by putting a rag just above the speaker and against the window.
  • From the inside of the car, the gap between the door trim and dashboard, is visibly bigger on passenger side than driver side. At least 5mm. Not sure if this is typical.
Im getting desperate so my next moves will be replacing the whole door seal, or even going for window deflectors.
I have read that Honda have released a revised door seal to tackle this issue. Can anyone confirm this is true and if so what is the part number?

Appreciate any creative ideas to help find this gremlin.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bowsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Sport
Country flag
SOLVED!

Although I didn't get much advice on this topic, I figured my misadventures might help someone in future. So here I am with my eventual solution....

Throughout the whole investigation, the characteristic of the whistle never changed despite the adding of tape, foam, rubber tubing all around the doors, windscreen, windows etc etc.

I decided to fully remove the mirror, and tape up the gaps in the body. After a drive the sound was gone, so then I was confident that the issue was in the mirror.

FYI I used this guys video to help with the removal of the door panel, very easy actually.

There was no obvious damage to the mirror itself, such as gaps or cracks on the outside.

Remounting it I spotted a small hole towards the top of the 3 mounting screws (close to edge of speaker where the sounds comes into the cabin)

I believe this should not be a hole, but rather contain a mounting pin to stop the mirror from dropping off if one loosens the 3 bolts. I suspect the missing mounting pin is from the cars previous owner, as opposed to a factory mistake.

Small piece of foam tape over this hole and the issue was solved. I hope this can save other folks many frustrating hours of chasing ghosts :)

caner92

First Name
Caner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R FK8
Country flag
I have same problem. When I reach 130 km/h, I hear wind noise from the driver's window. Also I bought my type r fk8 3 month ago. After I bought my car, wind shield has been replaced. Maybe that's why I'm having a problem. I do not know.

robertk328

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
SOLVED!

Although I didn't get much advice on this topic, I figured my misadventures might help someone in future. So here I am with my eventual solution....

Throughout the whole investigation, the characteristic of the whistle never changed despite the adding of tape, foam, rubber tubing all around the doors, windscreen, windows etc etc.

I decided to fully remove the mirror, and tape up the gaps in the body. After a drive the sound was gone, so then I was confident that the issue was in the mirror.

FYI I used this guys video to help with the removal of the door panel, very easy actually.

There was no obvious damage to the mirror itself, such as gaps or cracks on the outside.

Remounting it I spotted a small hole towards the top of the 3 mounting screws (close to edge of speaker where the sounds comes into the cabin)

I believe this should not be a hole, but rather contain a mounting pin to stop the mirror from dropping off if one loosens the 3 bolts. I suspect the missing mounting pin is from the cars previous owner, as opposed to a factory mistake.

Small piece of foam tape over this hole and the issue was solved. I hope this can save other folks many frustrating hours of chasing ghosts :)
Have to say THANK YOU for this. Deer ran into my car and had to have the door replaced. Got it back and the whistle at 40mph+ was driving me crazy. Searched high and low for answers and came cross this post. Decided to take a stab at it and sure enough, got everything apart and saw the opening where the post would be. Put two layers of duck tape over the hole and put it back together. All in, maybe 10-15 min of work and the whistle is gone! Now I won't have to spend hours back at the body shop having them mess with it (only to probably not find it). THANK YOU!
Sponsored