Rattle, Creaking, wind noise

tgx78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX Manual
Country flag
Previously I drove 5th gen Honda Prelude so I am accustomed to interior dash area rattle, sunroof area rattle and door panel creaks.

Now I just got a new civic and It's been only 2 months but it's starting to make noises everywhere.

WTF

Annoying as hell.. glove box, near passenger door, center console, above speedometer, weird whirlpool wind noise around 60mph.. when AC is on loud compressor noise. noise noise everywhere!
I drove my friends 1 year old Mazda 3 few days ago and it was basically silent compared to my car.

So not happy with fit and finish of this new HOnda.

Taking it in to dealership soon and I fully expect them to say "oh they are all within tolerance level"

rant over
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Noise is absolutely subjective and will plague any car...could it be the cold temperatures?

FWIW, I've had mine for 7 months now and it's still solid.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Going on 1 year with mine.

Fit and finish is exactly as expected with a $20,000 car.

If you wanted perfection, probably shouldn't have bought an economy car. Honestly this car has quality beyond it's price in my opinion. I've drove a lot of cars before buying the Civic. I knew this was the smartest purchase as soon as I drove it.

I think most people are expecting way too much out of this car. The Honda Civic is, and always has been, a inexpensive economy car for the masses.

Last edited:

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
Going on 1 year with mine.

Fit and finish is exactly as expected with a $20,000 car.

If you wanted perfection, probably shouldn't have bought an economy car. Honestly this car has quality beyond it's price in my opinion. I've drove a lot of cars before buying the Civic. I knew this was the smartest purchase as soon as I drove it.

I think most people are expecting way too much out of this car. The Honda Civic is, and always has been, a inexpensive economy car for the masses.

and just think a gm employee not driving a cruze...you must be getting at least some heat for this...no?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
and just think a gm employee not driving a cruze...you must be getting at least some heat for this...no?
You have no idea... That 2016 Cruze wasn't out when I purchased the Civic, but I still wouldn't have chose it over this car.

I wanted to buy a 2016 Volt, but couldn't pull the trigger on it. The 2014 Volt's had depreciated $20,000 in two years... If I bought a 2016 and it did the same thing... I'd be freaking out every car payment lol.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Previously I drove 5th gen Honda Prelude so I am accustomed to interior dash area rattle, sunroof area rattle and door panel creaks.

Now I just got a new civic and It's been only 2 months but it's starting to make noises everywhere.

WTF

Annoying as hell.. glove box, near passenger door, center console, above speedometer, weird whirlpool wind noise around 60mph.. when AC is on loud compressor noise. noise noise everywhere!
I drove my friends 1 year old Mazda 3 few days ago and it was basically silent compared to my car.

So not happy with fit and finish of this new HOnda.

Taking it in to dealership soon and I fully expect them to say "oh they are all within tolerance level"

rant over
Welcome to my world... :(

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
Welcome to my world... :(
My car is nearly six months old now. No creaks except the door if I push on it with my knee in cold weather. Otherwise silent. You might suggest that they check with the factory and see if the dash was removed for any repairs. All the noise would make me think that the dash was not situated correctly.
Ps. I understand your frustration. Squeaks are a sure method of driving me mad.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
You might suggest that they check with the factory and see if the dash was removed for any repairs. All the noise would make me think that the dash was not situated correctly.
I appreciate it. To clarify, are you suggesting before I acquired the car they may have taken the dash apart prior to sale?

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
I appreciate it. To clarify, are you suggesting before I acquired the car they may have taken the dash apart prior to sale?
a new model year is deffinately going to have rattles. That why we get TSB responses. Honda has always been good about having incremental fixes over the years. But your car is year two. If you are having a large volume of rattles, then I would be having it looked at. I did misread your post. Thought it said the service disregarded your issues as being in tolerance. But first step is deffinately having the rep look and assess. If you feel they can't get it fixed then you might see if they can see any work that may have been done. Or if they think the dash itself may be the culprit. I would just find it harder to believe that a large volume of things are put together bad. It would seem more plausible that one item may be causing the rest. The common denominator is the dash itself. I came from a electronic vendor for oem. One of my past times was car audio. So I fully understand how hard it can be to chase down a gremlin in there. Good luck.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My whole car rattles, buzzes, clicks, creeks. Horrible for a new car.

spexicola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Same here. Subwoofer rattle, as well as vibration rattles from road noise everywhere. The back deck, headliner around the moon roof, in the dash near the glove box, and another one that I haven't found yet.

The problem is, they're very difficult to reproduce. I drive the same route on my commute and day to day, the rattles I hear are different each day. One day the buzzing back deck is going all the way home. The next the car is nearly silent. But then the third day, it will be the rattle in the headliner. I got my wife to drive it around while i crawled all over the car trying to pinpoint them, but the damned thing was absolutely silent for the whole ride, no matter how rough the road was. Then 30 minutes later, as I was driving it to Panera to pick up dinner, the car was rattling like rocks in a can.

I'm VERY disappointed with the car on this account. Otherwise it's a fine car, but these interior rattles are driving me nuts.
Sponsored