First wash/wax suggestions and advice

Did you wash your car after you brought it home?

• Yes, I just washed it.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Yes, I washed it and waxed it.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Yes, I washed, clayed it, and waxed it

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Yes, I washed it, clayed it, polished it, and waxed it.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 65.3%

• Total voters

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We will be picking up our new Civic Wed night. It's white orchid pearl. It is supposed to be around 60f on Friday so I plan to give it a proper cleaning to start things off right and prepare it for the winter. I am thinking the following:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Mother's Micro-polishing glaze (step 2)
4. Meguiars NXT 2.0

I do have a bottle of Mother's Pure Polish step 1 around, but I am thinking that it won't be necessary as the car is hasn't been sitting around very long. I am on the fence and could do it after the clay.

Does this sound like a good plan? Would you recommend adding step 1? Or possible a different plan entirely?

I'd like to hear what others have done or plan to do.
Sponsored

SuperTongue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We will be picking up our new Civic Wed night. It's white orchid pearl. It is supposed to be around 60f on Friday so I plan to give it a proper cleaning to start things off right and prepare it for the winter. I am thinking the following:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Mother's Micro-polishing glaze (step 2)
4. Meguiars NXT 2.0

I do have a bottle of Mother's Pure Polish step 1 around, but I am thinking that it won't be necessary as the car is hasn't been sitting around very long. I am on the fence and could do it after the clay.

Does this sound like a good plan? Would you recommend adding step 1? Or possible a different plan entirely?

I'd like to hear what others have done or plan to do.
I honestly never washed it after bringing it home. I'm also deathly afraid of scratching it or getting swirls on it like I'd did my 2013...

Not to piggyback on your thread, but you seem to know more about washing than I do: what's the best way to avoid getting scratches or swirls from washing? I use microfiber clothes for drying / washing / waxing, but I'm still afraid I'll get swirls on it.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
what's the best way to avoid getting scratches or swirls from washing?
The most important thing is to use the two bucket method. One is for the shampoo water the other is clean water. This helps avoid getting dirt in the shampoo water so you don't scratch the paint as you wash.

http://www.detailingspot.com/?page_id=15

I hit the car with a layer of foam from something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-95QGFMR-Foamaster-Cleaning-Sprayer/dp/B000Y190WE/

If you have a power washer you can use a foam cannon.

http://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Washer-Quick-Release-Adjustable/dp/B00WPKHFA6/

I then I spray off that foam. Doing this helps get at least some of the dirt off without even touching the car, reducing the likelihood of swirls. Then I foam again and use a sponge to work the soap. I frequently rinse the sponge to avoid swirl marks.

To dry I use a silicone water blade to wipe off water from the large flat surfaces, this avoids the risk of swirl marks from towel drying. It's also much quicker. I use microfiber towels for the rest of the surface.

Hope that helps.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I had the Xzilon paint treatment done and couldn't believe how nice the paint looked after. I did pressure wash the road salt and slush off of it when i got it home after a 2.5 hour trip from the dealer and the dirt just flew off. I made sure to not get close with the nozzle and was amazed at how well the water was beading off it.

Too cold for a proper wash and wax.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've just been reading about using a leaf blower to dry the car instead of a water blade or towels. I may give this a shot since I already have an electric one.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Nice. Did you have that done by the dealer or someone else? How much did that cost?
http://www.finalcoat.com/installed_products.html scroll down to see interior coverage.

Applied by the dealer. Exterior and interior was $499 CDN.

I didn't get it for the 10 year warranty, it's just a bonus. I had this done on my 2006 Civic and it still looks great after a good wash. Winter up here sucks and I drive 130 km each winter weekday to get to work on salt and sand covered snowy highways so every bit of protection helps.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I washed, clayed, polished, and sealed my new WOP Civic today. Wasn't easy in my narrow garage, but here are some pictures from tonight. Can't wait to give her a photoshoot in the daylight

Attachments

woohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I washed, clayed, polished, and sealed my new WOP Civic today. Wasn't easy in my narrow garage, but here are some pictures from tonight. Can't wait to give her a photoshoot in the daylight
Hi hondo,

I wa wondring, so i read that no polish or wax should be applied if the car had paint protection applied. They said that polishing could take some fractions of the clear coat that or paint protectant that was applied. What are you thoughts about this?

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi hondo,

I wa wondring, so i read that no polish or wax should be applied if the car had paint protection applied. They said that polishing could take some fractions of the clear coat that or paint protectant that was applied. What are you thoughts about this?
I didn't have any paint protection applied to the car so that wasn't an issue. I suppose if you used an aggressive polish multiple times, it could wear the clear coat. I used Mother's micro-polishing glaze. It's a very fine polish that is just enough to hide swirls but really brings out the shine.

If you have any kind of paint protection applied I would refer to the products literature for what you can and cannot do to the surface. It varies by product.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Isn't WAX a protector for the paint? Shouldn't we just use wax only on a brand new car?

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Isn't WAX a protector for the paint? Shouldn't we just use wax only on a brand new car?
It is a protector, but I wanted to remove any blemishes from the factory and an contaminants it may have picked up along the way. Plus the delivery wash they do from the dealer isn't very good. My wife helped me find a few dozens dark spots in the white paint that I had to clay out. Then I used the micro-polish to cover up any swirl marks from the dealer's washing. Finally the wax to protect it.
Sponsored