First time detailing, polish question and confirmation (canada).

cicero8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Hey guys I got my car this last week and the dealer cleaned it before pick up, and theres some noticeable scuff marks inside the passenger side door on step. That's the most I've noticed so far.

I own NOTHING to clean a car so here's my list so far, I'm ordering everything on amazon.ca (prime) and it will be delivered tomorrow so I can wash it this weekend. I'd be polishing/buffing by hand, is this ok?! I'm an amateur.

1. 2 buckets with grit guards for washing using CG Citrus Wash,

2. Meguiar's G1016C Smooth Surface Clay Kit - with detailing spray

3. polish, any brands available on amazon.ca prime that you guys recommend, as well as a guide? I have no idea. I'm not even sure if I should polish the new car, I haven't seen swirl marks, only that noticeably scuffed area which I'm not sure I can gently polish out? I might bring it to a professional detailer at some point to fix that part....

4. CG BlackLight glaze

5. CG JetSeal

6. CG Wet Butter Wax

7. diablo gel for wheels.

Thanks guys!

Also if I wanted to add a ceramic coating myself, which step would that be?!
Sponsored

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys I got my car this last week and the dealer cleaned it before pick up, and theres some noticeable scuff marks inside the passenger side door on step. That's the most I've noticed so far.

I own NOTHING to clean a car so here's my list so far, I'm ordering everything on amazon.ca (prime) and it will be delivered tomorrow so I can wash it this weekend. I'd be polishing/buffing by hand, is this ok?! I'm an amateur.

1. 2 buckets with grit guards for washing using CG Citrus Wash,

2. Meguiar's G1016C Smooth Surface Clay Kit - with detailing spray

3. polish, any brands available on amazon.ca prime that you guys recommend, as well as a guide? I have no idea. I'm not even sure if I should polish the new car, I haven't seen swirl marks, only that noticeably scuffed area which I'm not sure I can gently polish out? I might bring it to a professional detailer at some point to fix that part....

4. CG BlackLight glaze

5. CG JetSeal

6. CG Wet Butter Wax

7. diablo gel for wheels.

Thanks guys!

Also if I wanted to add a ceramic coating myself, which step would that be?!
If your gonna polish by hand it will just take alot longer vs using a DA polisher.

get yourself some good quality microfibers also.

if you plan to apply ceramic coating then it would be,
1. wash car
2.decontaminate paint (iron particle removal then clay bar)
3.Polish and buff
4.Ceramic Coating
5.Sealant or wax

OP
OP

cicero8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your gonna polish by hand it will just take alot longer vs using a DA polisher.

get yourself some good quality microfibers also.

if you plan to apply ceramic coating then it would be,
1. wash car
2.decontaminate paint (iron particle removal then clay bar)
3.Polish and buff
4.Ceramic Coating
5.Sealant or wax

I bought a few decent ones, as well as some applicator pads for the actual application. I thought you only polished sections that needed it, and not the entire car at a time?
I did not get an iron particle remover :S I'll have to look into that

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought you only polished sections that needed it, and not the entire car at a time?
most people would want all surfaces to be perfect and clean before they applied a ceramic coating, since once the coat has cured you wouldnt be able to correct the paint unless you waited till the coat wore off or you fully stripped it.

OP
OP

cicero8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
most people would want all surfaces to be perfect and clean before they applied a ceramic coating, since once the coat has cured you wouldnt be able to correct the paint unless you waited till the coat wore off or you fully stripped it.
That's a good point, would it be a bad idea to "practice" detailing a few times, before doing it. I obviously don't mean to detail my car 5 times this weekend, I just mean, that I'll stick to detailing, and after a few times where I feel more comftorble with my results, then I'll doing a ceramic coating.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's a good point, would it be a bad idea to "practice" detailing a few times, before doing it. I obviously don't mean to detail my car 5 times this weekend, I just mean, that I'll stick to detailing, and after a few times where I feel more comftorble with my results, then I'll doing a ceramic coating.
yeah thats no problem. theres nothing wrong with more practice. its also a good way to start to gauge yourself.

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Lots of great info here, but I'll throw in some advice/opinions based on what I see:
  • Your list overall looks great for entry-level detailing. Taking care of your own car should be fun!
  • The processes outlined by NeoDragons looks overall good, with the exception of STEP 5. More on that below

If you plan to use a ceramic coating, you want the paint completely 'naked' prior to coating. This means:

• Properly washing the vehicle
  • Decontaminating the vehicle - removal of tar, iron deposits, and any other surface or embedded contamination via claybar or a product such as CarPro IronX
  • MUST USE a product like CarPro Eraser or IPA after any polishing/'buffing', washing, etc. This removes residuals left behind during those processes. NOT doing this step will yield your coatings durability and hydrophobic properties to fall drastically.
  • After a ceramic coating, do NOT apply any wax or sealant. If anything, only use the manufacturer's specific top-off products. CarPro has Reload and Hydro2 for their coatings, Gyeon has their own, Gtechniq has their own, etc.

After coating a vehicle, it is recommended to only use the shampoo designed for that coating (or coatings in general). Not because of what is in these products, but what is NOT in them. You want a shampoo with no gloss enhances, beading enhances, fillers, etc. - just a cleaning agent that leaves no residue. CarPro Reset, Gyeon Bathe, etc.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I would be happy to help :)

OP
OP

cicero8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of great info here, but I'll throw in some advice/opinions based on what I see:
  • Your list overall looks great for entry-level detailing. Taking care of your own car should be fun!
  • The processes outlined by NeoDragons looks overall good, with the exception of STEP 5. More on that below

If you plan to use a ceramic coating, you want the paint completely 'naked' prior to coating. This means:

• Properly washing the vehicle
  • Decontaminating the vehicle - removal of tar, iron deposits, and any other surface or embedded contamination via claybar or a product such as CarPro IronX
  • MUST USE a product like CarPro Eraser or IPA after any polishing/'buffing', washing, etc. This removes residuals left behind during those processes. NOT doing this step will yield your coatings durability and hydrophobic properties to fall drastically.
  • After a ceramic coating, do NOT apply any wax or sealant. If anything, only use the manufacturer's specific top-off products. CarPro has Reload and Hydro2 for their coatings, Gyeon has their own, Gtechniq has their own, etc.

After coating a vehicle, it is recommended to only use the shampoo designed for that coating (or coatings in general). Not because of what is in these products, but what is NOT in them. You want a shampoo with no gloss enhances, beading enhances, fillers, etc. - just a cleaning agent that leaves no residue. CarPro Reset, Gyeon Bathe, etc.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I would be happy to help :)

Thanks for all the good info, haven't had the time to check the forums since I'm in finals. I ended up getting CarPro IronX and most other tools necessary (DA, clay bar, mf towels...etc).

1. What I'm wondering is, do I apply the coating to the glass also?
2. I also have the 2018 hatchback, the front and rear seem pretty complex to detail, any advice?
3. Also, do you ceramic coat the inside of door jams? (I would think not, but I'm not sure)
4. any tips on getting the exterior plastic pieces to shine also, I'm referring to the plastic half of the side mirrors, and the air vents. I don't want to damage them either when I do my coating, Would you recommend taping the contours?
Sponsored