2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Well as long as the inner diameter is not compromised (smaller), you’re fine. Although a mandrel bend would be a lot better.

OP
OP
MrCivicHatch12

MrCivicHatch12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Well as long as the inner diameter is not compromised (smaller), you’re fine. Although a mandrel bend would be a lot better.
Would that mean measuring where the 90 degree bend occurs?

Yeah I was wondering why the muffler shop didn't do a mandrel bend but I didn't realize it till I came home. I would've assumed that they done a mandrel cause that would be the smoothest way for exhaust fumes to flow without too much disruption but i guess not :confused:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My guess is they where out of mandrel bends and did a 45degree cut on 2 pieces of pipe and welded them together.They at least should have done 4 22.5 degree cuts .
Pie cuts are ok but you have to make enough cuts to give it a smooth transsition.BTW that flows for sh*t right now a crush bend pipe flows even better then that. If it was me i would go back.I never even seen a bend like that being used in a exhaust.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got my exhaust rerouted to the center on my EX.

The person who rerouted my exhaust tips used a 90 degree sharp bend like this ( https://www.cpperformance.com/p-12551-4-90-degree-sharp-bend.aspx ) rather than a mandrel bend like this (https://www.amazon.com/Deg-Mild-Steel-Mandrel-Gauge/dp/B002VKABU6).

My question is will my exhaust flow be compromised since the pipe isn't smoothly bent to flow out, and if so, how bad is it?

And should I go back and have it changed?
Yes, your exhaust flow will be compromised (Performance wise) because the pipe isn't bent smoothly.
A 90 degree bend is bad. How bad? It's bad on any exhaust. Worse on one with a car that is modified. Bends create backpressure. It robs horsepower from your car. If horsepower is not what you are after, you are fine.
Yes, you should go back and have it changed (if horsepower/performance is your goal). HOWEVER, if you like how the car feels and sound, there isn't any reason to change it out. Keep it as is.

OP
OP
MrCivicHatch12

MrCivicHatch12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Yes, your exhaust flow will be compromised (Performance wise) because the pipe isn't bent smoothly.
A 90 degree bend is bad. How bad? It's bad on any exhaust. Worse on one with a car that is modified. Bends create backpressure. It robs horsepower from your car. If horsepower is not what you are after, you are fine.
Yes, you should go back and have it changed (if horsepower/performance is your goal). HOWEVER, if you like how the car feels and sound, there isn't any reason to change it out. Keep it as is.
Ill contact them this week and see what they have to say. Is a work like that their fault or is it mine cause i didn't catch it while they were working on my car?

In the meantime ill post a pic of what my set up looks like tomorrow

Reactions: Myx

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
If you want to keep your center exit and your tips where they are, I don't think there is much that can be done to be honest with the space you have. If it was my job, I would've just told you I couldn't do it with the space you got and suggested pushing your tips out further by an inch or two to create room to make a half decent bend.

BTW, you will seldom see a mandrel bender in an exhaust shop, it is a very expensive piece of equipment that is not worth the price for pretty much anyone. They will usually only buy pieces of bent pipe and piece the exhaust together. Any bender in a shop will crush bend pipes.

OP
OP
MrCivicHatch12

MrCivicHatch12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
If you want to keep your center exit and your tips where they are, I don't think there is much that can be done to be honest with the space you have. If it was my job, I would've just told you I couldn't do it with the space you got and suggested pushing your tips out further by an inch or two to create room to make a half decent bend.

BTW, you will seldom see a mandrel bender in an exhaust shop, it is a very expensive piece of equipment that is not worth the price for pretty much anyone. They will usually only buy pieces of bent pipe and piece the exhaust together. Any bender in a shop will crush bend pipes.
Is a sharp bend like that something I should be concerned about? Like say, issues arising in the possible future due to poor exhaust flow?

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I just posted about this in another thread. Even if the bends were mandrel, the fewer turns your exhaust makes, the better. You could swap the mufflers off for single inlet, dual outlet... and have one of the two outlets run as a turndown. More than half the exhaust flow will exit through the turndown.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exhaust flow question 5935CB3F-8D43-42FE-8D00-6B477309398C

OP
OP
MrCivicHatch12

MrCivicHatch12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I just posted about this in another thread. Even if the bends were mandrel, the fewer turns your exhaust makes, the better. You could swap the mufflers off for single inlet, dual outlet... and have one of the two outlets run as a turndown. More than half the exhaust flow will exit through the turndown.

5935CB3F-8D43-42FE-8D00-6B477309398C.jpeg
That sounds like a good option for gettin most of the exhaust flow out before it reaches the center.

Although, I don't think I have the funds to get two new mufflers yet to do this. I'm gonna call them up tommorrow and see what they can do about it. Hopefully they don't charge me an arm and a leg.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
no worries about anything detrimental happening other than a little power loss.

OP
OP
MrCivicHatch12

MrCivicHatch12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
OP
OP
MrCivicHatch12

MrCivicHatch12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I came back from the shop today, and they told me the reason they did the 90 degree bend is because they didn't have room to a curve bent or else the exhaust tips would stick out by like 4 inches.

I also asked them why in the video someone posted from their shop that the other car's pipe was bent, and their explanation was that it was their first time doing the center mod, and that they didn't have room to weld the tip and pipe from the outside they welded it from the inside.
Sponsored