mpir413

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2018
Country flag
So I had a friend ask me the same thing. There are little teeth on the cylinder of the tensioner that should catch and hold the cylinder down much like a jackstand. However, there may have been a possibility that it sprung apart when I removed the pin. I'm honestly not too sure, but I did remove the pin carefully. From what I could visually see I couldn't see any major damage... But it may have been internal. I'll definitely compare both when I obtain one. The chain did not slip as the car runs perfectly fine and the timing does not seem off in any way.

I'm pretty familiar with the interference engine design as I used to have a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant which had that design on a timing belt. It would be a nightmare for a belt to break on an interference engine, so change your belts on time people hahaha

For this engine, and in my case, my best assumption is that my tensioner was on its way out. As I only heard the clicking under low throttle applications. Under heavier throttle the noise would go away. These tensioners are assisted by oil pressure. The spring will hold up the tension but the oil pressure will maintain it. That's why I think it's the tensioner starting to fail because the increased throttle application sent more oil pressure to the tensioner, resulting in the noise going away.

Also one other observation I had when removing the tensioner, was that the tension was very easy to push down for me to put the pin inside. And also when I was doing this, oil was leaking through the sides of the tensioner cylinder, which makes me think there's some oil pressure loss. Because the oil should enter the bottom of the tensioner and be relieved through the same way, not anywhere else.

Hi, I was hoping you could update me on this issue. Did replacing the tensioner fix your issue? my SI is doing the same thing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hi, I was hoping you could update me on this issue. Did replacing the tensioner fix your issue? my SI is doing the same thing.
This was a looooong time ago. But no it didn't fix the issue, it was a rod bearing on its way out.

aznguy1992

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2018 Sedan
Country flag
Yikes this is what mine sounds like as well. I think it’s time to go back to stock until i rebuild my engine.
Sponsored