Does your Type R make an audible ticking at idle?

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
So I’m just about to break 600 miles, and I’ve noticed my engine is ticking like a sewing machine. I mean it’s loud enough to hear outside the car with the hood down. With the hood up it’s in your face.

I can *slightly* hear it inside the car too. Seems like it’s coming from the head area on the drivers side.

Really hoping this is normal....here’s a vid.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
This is probably your first direct injected engine I assume. Perfectly normal.

Nah my last 3 have been DIG, this just seems much louder and more audible than the others.

It also increases in tempo when you rev, until the sound of the revs overcome the tick.

If everyone else’s car sounds like this then I’m definitely happy. I don’t mind the sound at all as long as it’s normal.

It just wasn’t making this noise the first few hundred miles. Maybe the engine is now broken in or something.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Si
Nah my last 3 have been DIG, this just seems much louder and more audible than the others.

It also increases in tempo when you rev, until the sound of the revs overcome the tick.

If everyone else’s car sounds like this then I’m definitely happy. I don’t mind the sound at all as long as it’s normal.

It just wasn’t making this noise the first few hundred miles. Maybe the engine is now broken in or something.
The questions should be is this your first Honda/Acura? Every Honda/Acura that I have owned has had this and has been more noticeable than other brands. My '02 RSX Type S that I bought used had this as well as the new Hondas I purchased('11 CRZ and '14 Si).

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
My civic Si and every other Si I have heard ticks like this. Pretty sure it is the injectors. Regardless it is perfectly normal.

OP
OP

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Y'all are putting my mind at ease, thank you!

Forgot to upload this one. This all sounds normal to your ears also?

Thank you!!

OP
OP

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
The questions should be is this your first Honda/Acura? Every Honda/Acura that I have owned has had this and has been more noticeable than other brands. My '02 RSX Type S that I bought used had this as well as the new Hondas I purchased('11 CRZ and '14 Si).

Yes this is my first Honda with a DIG engine. Thanks for letting me know.

So it's normal for Honda engines, but is my CTR the only one doing it?

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
DI injectors are loud compared MPI which is what we have become used to over the past few decades. The Ecoboost engine in my Focus ST almost sounded like a diesel engine at idle. The 2.0L in my Golf R isn’t quite as loud but nobody will mistake these engines for a late model MPI engine that are generally quiet at idle.

I believe there have been some complaints about Acuras having noisy idles since moving over to DI.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
My '07 Fit makes this noise. Sometimes it's louder than the day before.

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
Mines sounds the same. My wife’s 17 civic sport touring also has a similar ticking noise to it at idle and low revs from idle.

OP
OP

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Mines sounds the same. My wife’s 17 civic sport touring also has a similar ticking noise to it at idle and low revs from idle.
That makes me happy. Thank you for posting, seriously. :headbang:

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
That makes me happy. Thank you for posting, seriously. :headbang:
No problem. I went to see my friend who’s a master tech at Honda when I first got my CTR. He also confirmed it was normal. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one concerned about the ticking noise.