Disabling EGT on 2020 CTR better for us?

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
  • Banned
Curious to know if this is a safe option to have on when going 130mph+
Sponsored

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
I can happily report I've been up to 140 and the car didn't act funny. Though excuse my noob-ness but I don't know what you mean by EGT, for me that means exhaust gas temps.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
If you don't know what it does, you probably shouldn't disable it.

It's there to protect the turbo from over-spooling in the upper RPMs. On stock turbo and fuel system, it's best to not touch it unless you're logging and can validate there are improvements with a dyno.

OP
OP

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
  • Banned

It's there to protect the turbo from over-spooling in the upper RPMs. On stock turbo and fuel system, it's best to not touch it unless you're logging and can validate there are improvements with a dyno.
i read on here someone said it was ok though even if you floor it alot

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

That's what the PA table is for when you're dealing with different altitudes. Pretty sure it doesn't deal with over speed, just keeps exhaust temperatures in check since higher boost on the tiny turbo will make the charge too hot to have any benefit of the added pressure. Charge air rises in temperature a lot as is is with it enabled.

Though I am interested in trying it again now that I'm catless. Whenever I can get my 2020 jailbroken :(

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
That's what the PA table is for when you're dealing with different altitudes. Pretty sure it doesn't deal with over speed, just keeps exhaust temperatures in check since higher boost on the tiny turbo will make the charge too hot to have any benefit of the added pressure. Charge air rises in temperature a lot as is is with it enabled.

Though I am interested in trying it again now that I'm catless. Whenever I can get my 2020 jailbroken :(
I believe those PA tables were set pretty high by default. Above 30 psi?

OP has no idea what any of these tables mean. If you don’t know what they do, then you shouldn’t change anything. That’s my opinion but people can do whatever they like with their car.

OP
OP

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
  • Banned

is it better if your car is at high altitude or doesnt matter?

OP
OP

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
  • Banned
I believe those PA tables were set pretty high by default. Above 30 psi?

OP has no idea what any of these tables mean. If you don’t know what they do, then you shouldn’t change anything. That’s my opinion but people can do whatever they like with their car.
i guess tuners have no idea what they mean either since they all turn this function on when they take it in for a tune,
i bet these tuners barely make much change at all going off hondata tunes.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
is it better if your car is at high altitude or doesnt matter?
For exhaust temperatures? Doesn't matter. Just at a higher altitude the air is thinner so the ECU will compensate to protect the turbocharger from over spinning through the thinner air.

Sea level is always the best for power, but turbocharged engines are great for higher altitude. For example much like how they started putting them on war planes in WW2, especially bombers so they could fly higher (and faster) and avoid AAA.

To the OP, I personally don't see the point of doing it on the stock turbo. Hondata even states that more boost doesn't equate to more power (with stock turbo) especially at the top end. The last point is what I go by. Long 5th gear pulls generate a ton of heat. If you're worried about it being dangerous? Not that I know of. The feature was added while prl was testing their prototype turbo and hit a wall where they couldn't get above 400hp, with egt disabled they could.

Last edited:

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
i guess tuners have no idea what they mean either since they all turn this function on when they take it in for a tune,
i bet these tuners barely make much change at all going off hondata tunes.
There's a fundamental flaw in the way you think.

A tuner disables EGT boost limits because they know what it does and the goal they're trying to achieve.

You're wondering if you should disable EGT boost limits because 'tuners are doing it' without any knowledge of what it actually does. You've admitted in prior conversations that you've never looked at logs before. This shows that you don't have any understanding of how the ECU works. You pour E85 in your fuel tank because it 'feels better' and it didn't throw a check engine light.

If this logic of thinking has worked for you throughout your life, then great.

OP
OP

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
For exhaust temperatures? Doesn't matter. Just at a higher altitude the air is thinner so the ECU will compensate to protect the turbocharger from over spinning through the thinner air.

Sea level is always the best for power, but turbocharged engines are great for higher altitude. For example much like how they started putting them on war planes in WW2, especially bombers so they could fly higher (and faster) and avoid AAA.

To the OP, I personally don't see the point of doing it on the stock turbo. Hondata even states that more boost doesn't equate to more power (with stock turbo) especially at the top end. The last point is what I go by. Long 5th gear pulls generate a ton of heat. If you're worried about it being dangerous? Not that I know of. The feature was added while prl was testing their prototype turbo and hit a wall where they couldn't get above 400hp, with egt disabled they could.
I enabled it and saw a huge amount of power in the low end, seems to be better to me. I will most likely put it back to stock , on the track it seem to struggle at higher speeds at, basically not as smoothe.
Just by driving the car I do not think this is safe above 130mph to leave on ,

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I enabled it and saw a huge amount of power in the low end, seems to be better to me. I will most likely put it back to stock , on the track it seem to struggle at higher speeds at, basically not as smoothe.
Just by driving the car I do not think this is safe above 130mph to leave on ,
Placebo maybe? It's purpose is to increase air charge in the top end, I don't believe it does anything down low.

OP
OP

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Placebo maybe? It's purpose is to increase air charge in the top end, I don't believe it does anything down low.
weird down low there is a huge improvement

you havent enabled it with e30 tune have you lol?

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've only ran 93, so no you got me there lol.
Sponsored