Dead battery = found manual trunk release

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
The other day, my buddy left the passenger door slightly ajar after we returned to work from lunch. I had been changing settings, and thought I might've disabled the walk-away lock chirp, or was otherwise not paying attention to listen for it or notice its absence. After work, I got to my car and the battery was completely dead. No problem; I had a battery-powered jump start kit in my trunk. Guess what wouldn't open without power?

There's a trunk release pull under a panel behind the right rear passenger seat in the Coupe. I found that, opened the trunk, and the battery charger worked perfectly, though I had to enable it's "boost" mode, because the car battery was really low. I hadn't used or charged the charger in over a year, so I was pretty impressed that it worked. (Especially since I'd just been touting its value to the friend who left the door ajar!)

There was an initial warning to drive carefully, as systems were resetting. The only one that persisted was something like, "Suspension System (ADS) Error" -- I don't recall the exact wording. (The car had no problem switching into and out of Sport Mode, but out of caution, I drove it in normal mode.) After having driven to meet my friend (who brought a trickle charger for overnight) and searching for the error message with no success, we decided to just turn the car off and back on again. After that, the error was cleared. I trickle charged the battery overnight, and haven't had a problem since.

While we were sitting there, I mentioned having found a web browser in the infotainment system. Just out of curiosity, we connected it to my iPhone's mobile hotspot, and went to YouTube to see if it would play a video. To our shock, it did so with no problem. I don't imagine I'd ever use that for anything, but it's pretty cool that in 2017, it's possible to watch a video on the web on a car's infotainment system.
Sponsored