Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
I'm running a 3"PLM downpipe and frontpipe on the tsp stage 1 tune and a cai and she slips a little under medium to hard acceleration in 4th at around 50mph. Wondering what the best bang for the buck is on a stage 2 full face clutch or does anyone recommend a 6 puck stage 3. I heard from a wrx sti buddy who has a stage 4 six puck that its pretty awful for every day city driving..
Sponsored

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
Having had a few aftermarket clutches in the past, I’d recommend an organic clutch for every day driving. I just ordered the competition stage 2 clutch and flywheel combo myself.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Stage 3 and 4 clutches are absolutely the wrong choice for a daily on this platform. If you're pushing enough torque to slip an aftermarket organic kit or CTR retro, you're the 1% of the 1% of modders here.

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
I've seen those organic clutches and there a little pricey, no? I'm basically looking for a stage 2 full face around the $400 to $500 range. I know tsp and maperformance have some good clutches but damn man a spec stage 2 is almost 700 bucks ?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've seen those organic clutches and there a little pricey, no? I'm basically looking for a stage 2 full face around the $400 to $500 range. I know tsp and maperformance have some good clutches but damn man a spec stage 2 is almost 700 bucks ?
You're in for a bad time if you want a cheap clutch solution on this platform. Most solutions will require replacing the OE heavy dual mass flywheel (DMF) with a lightweight single mass flywheel (SMF). Also depending who you ask, a DMF can't be resurfaced so if it's already glazed up you can't re-use it.

Clutch Masters is one option that will work with the factory DMF (only the rigid options, not sprung). Harsh engagement and tiresome to use. Also from what I've read here they have terrible lifetime so you'll be replacing it again soon.

Exedy is the OEM for your factory clutch. They make stage 1 and stage 2 options which as far as I know work with the OE DMF. They are rated for considerably less torque than other options, however consensus seems that they're underrated by a fair amount.

SPEC makes several clutch kits also, but they require the factory flywheel to be resurfaced so it's not clear to me if it can be used with your OE DMF.

Overall I'd say save up your pennies and get the ACT organic/6 puck sprung, Competition Stage 2 or 3, or Type R retrofit. Retro is the best overall. Between ACT organic and Comp Stage 2 is a toss-up. But I'd still recommend stage 2 / organic clutches unless you plan to mod for serious power. Keep that OE pedal feel.

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
You’re definitely paying more because these kits include a flywheel. Expect to spend 900+ on a kit. The average install price I’ve been quoted between 5 shops was 800 (Honda wanted 1400) on top of that

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
You're in for a bad time if you want a cheap clutch solution on this platform. Most solutions will require replacing the OE heavy dual mass flywheel (DMF) with a lightweight single mass flywheel (SMF). Also depending who you ask, a DMF can't be resurfaced so if it's already glazed up you can't re-use it.

Clutch Masters is one option that will work with the factory DMF (only the rigid options, not sprung). Harsh engagement and tiresome to use. Also from what I've read here they have terrible lifetime so you'll be replacing it again soon.

Exedy is the OEM for your factory clutch. They make stage 1 and stage 2 options which as far as I know work with the OE DMF. They are rated for considerably less torque than other options, however consensus seems that they're underrated by a fair amount.

SPEC makes several clutch kits also, but they require the factory flywheel to be resurfaced so it's not clear to me if it can be used with your OE DMF.

Overall I'd say save up your pennies and get the ACT organic/6 puck sprung, Competition Stage 2 or 3, or Type R retrofit. Retro is the best overall. Between ACT organic and Comp Stage 2 is a toss-up. But I'd still recommend stage 2 / organic clutches unless you plan to mod for serious power. Keep that OE pedal feel.
So what you are saying is that I can't just go out and buy a stage 2 clutch and have it thrown in? I'm roughly in the 240 whp and 290ish wtq. I plan to at least 270whp in the future and obviously torque will go up along with it. I have also read in other places that a light weight flywheel is always good to use. When you say say light weight is it just a lighter steal flywheel or are you talking about an aluminum flywheel.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So what you are saying is that I can't just go out and buy a stage 2 clutch and have it thrown in? I'm roughly in the 240 whp and 290ish wtq. I plan to at least 270whp in the future and obviously torque will go up along with it. I have also read in other places that a light weight flywheel is always good to use. When you say say light weight is it just a lighter steal flywheel or are you talking about an aluminum flywheel.
You "can" do that in the sense that it'll probably all bolt together but your experience will be sub-par at best IMO. The ACT and Comp kits come with steel flywheels. Clutch Masters is aluminum, SPEC has both, EXEDY is steel.

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
You "can" do that in the sense that it'll probably all bolt together but your experience will be sub-par at best IMO. The ACT and Comp kits come with steel flywheels. Clutch Masters is aluminum, SPEC has both, EXEDY is steel.
Ok I'll do a little research. I will most likely go with a light weight steel rather than aluminum thanks for the advice

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Ok I'll do a little research. I will most likely go with a light weight steel rather than aluminum thanks for the advice
No prob, sorry to rain on your parade a bit just don't want people to go through the hassle of a clutch job to end up disappointed. Good luck!

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Having had a few aftermarket clutches in the past, I’d recommend an organic clutch for every day driving. I just ordered the competition stage 2 clutch and flywheel combo myself.
Where did you order your clutch from