Sponsored

Last edited:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Does this car need the MAF Sensor and MAP Sensor to be cleaned and then relearn the PCM using Honda Diagnostic software after done it?
No, just disconnect the battery for a few minutes after cleaning them so that the ECU gets reset. This isn't totally necessary as the ECU would readjust for the cleaned sensors anyways, this just resets everything back to default.

OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
No, just disconnect the battery for a few minutes after cleaning them so that the ECU gets reset. This isn't totally necessary as the ECU would readjust for the cleaned sensors anyways, this just resets everything back to default.
A mechanic at honda dealer once told me, there is a CRV 1.5 T with a case of sensors error, check engine lights on, because the owner of the car unplug the battery.
Is it ok to unplug the battery with this modern car with fully equipped sensors?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
A mechanic at honda dealer once told me, there is a CRV 1.5 T with a case of sensors error, check engine lights on, because the owner of the car unplug the battery.
Is it ok to unplug the battery with this modern car with fully equipped sensors?
Yes, completely fine. Some lights might come on initially, but they'll go away after driving for awhile.

OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
I can reupload the tune file through Ktuner in order to make the ecu relearn if it is safer than battery unplug-replug procedure, maybe?

OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
Yes, completely fine. Some lights might come on initially, but they'll go away after driving for awhile.
I see.. Thanks man...

Anyway MAF Sensor cleaning procedure actually is not available in Honda Indonesia dealers, the mechanics dont have gut to touch it lol.. but I wonder if Honda USA has MAF Sensor cleaning procedure available?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I see.. Thanks man...

Anyway MAF Sensor cleaning procedure actually is not available in Honda Indonesia dealers, the mechanics dont have gut to touch it lol.. but I wonder if Honda USA has MAF Sensor cleaning procedure available?
Clean the MAF sensor like any other MAF sensor. Be super careful not to touch the wire and I think you normally don't want to spray directly onto the wire either, but confirm with a web search first.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
There is no reason to clean the MAF nor should you.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
There is no reason to clean the MAF nor should you.
MAF sensors can get dirty.
Yeah MAF Sensor can get dirty, but I wonder if honda ever do recommend to clean MAF Sensor, because the dealers themselves don't recorgnize this procedure nor provide this service.

They only offer Throttle body cleaning and injector cleaner through fuel tank, that's all.

Last edited:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Yeah MAF Sensor can get dirty, but I wonder if honda ever do recommend to clean MAF Sensor, because the dealers themselves don't recorgnize this procedure or provide this service.

They only offer Throttle body cleaning and injector cleaner through fuel tank, that's all.
Probably because they'd rather charge you to replace the sensor rather than clean it.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
MAF sensors can get dirty.
Hot wire MAF sensors are self cleaning and rarely ever get too dirty to need cleaning or replacement. If the engineers at Honda don't recommend to clean it, I'd go with their opinion. They have cleaning procedures on almost every part of the car, the MAF they specifically don't want touched. It's not to sell parts, it's because it can cause more harm than good.

OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
Hot wire MAF sensors are self cleaning and rarely ever get too dirty to need cleaning or replacement. If the engineers at Honda don't recommend to clean it, I'd go with their opinion. They have cleaning procedures on almost every part of the car, the MAF they specifically don't want touched. It's not to sell parts, it's because it can cause more harm than good.
Thanks man for your insight, I think it's either can cause more harm than goodness or simply just useless to do it.

As long as you don’t use a oiled filter like k&n they shouldn’t get dirty.
Yeah I think so too, now I am using BMC Replacement filter, it is oiled filter. Soon gonna switch to Sprint Replacement filter, no oil requirement. Thanks man for your advice.

Probably because they'd rather charge you to replace the sensor rather than clean it.
Maybe yes maybe not hahaha but thanks man for the opinions.
Sponsored