Civic don’t start / white ring

Critter13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2020
Country flag
Good morning,
I have a problem with the 2020 civic. sometimes it won't start, I have a white ring on the start/stop button. There are clicks (see the video). and after a while the button turns red and starts.
I tested the battery (12 volts), the battery of the key fob (3 volts). it is the same with the two keys. It happens only one time per day. After the first start, it’s ok.
do you have an idea ?
Sponsored

boibuddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have a weak battery, a healthy battery would have 12.6-12.7 Volts. All the clicking noises are a telltale sign that the starter is not getting enough power. If you still have the factory battery, you might get 4 years of you are lucky. My battery life fell off a cliff at 3 years, 10 months.

Once you get it started, the alternator builds enough charge to get around for the day.
However, once the car sits for an extended period of time and you have trouble starting it, you either have a bad battery or you have something draining it (like a hardwired dashcam).

My money is on bad battery, especially if you see warning lights like ABS, electronic parking brake, etc after startup.

Good luck.

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
You have a weak battery, a healthy battery would have 12.6-12.7 Volts. All the clicking noises are a telltale sign that the starter is not getting enough power. If you still have the factory battery, you might get 4 years of you are lucky. My battery life fell off a cliff at 3 years, 10 months.

Once you get it started, the alternator builds enough charge to get around for the day.
However, once the car sits for an extended period of time and you have trouble starting it, you either have a bad battery or you have something draining it (like a hardwired dashcam).

My money is on bad battery, especially if you see warning lights like ABS, electronic parking brake, etc after startup.

Good luck.

100% agree, you need a new battery. I had the exact same problem. New, cheapest I could find ($89), battery solved the problem. Not recommending you go cheap, I do because my car spends the winter in an airport parking lot. Even though I disconnect the battery, even the expensive ones don’t last so I just buy cheap ones.

OP
OP

Critter13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2020
Country flag
Hello everyone,
Since my last message and your advice, I change the battery of the car by a new one.
It’s the same thing, the car will no start (same as video)
Have you an idea ?
Thanks

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Hello everyone,
Since my last message and your advice, I change the battery of the car by a new one.
It’s the same thing, the car will no start (same as video)
Have you an idea ?
Thanks
Does the FOB still work to unlock doors? it also has a battery but doubt that’s it. It appears it could be the security system. Can you plug a diagnostic reader in and see if your throwing any codes?

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Is it stock, sometimes a CPU reflash can cause that but cured with a reflash.

OP
OP

Critter13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2020
Country flag
Thanks for your answers.
The key battery is new (same for second key).
No problem to open/close the doors
No code on the diag reader.
And yes, it’s stock, no reflash

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for your answers.
The key battery is new (same for second key).
No problem to open/close the doors
No code on the diag reader.
And yes, it’s stock, no reflash
No idea, no magnets in the center console?
Sponsored